Sheffield’s Old Factories & Workshops (Pic Heavy)

I have not yet photographed Portland Works (once home to Jack Black Knives ;)), but this seems to have fared better: http://www.portlandworks.co.uk/about/

Is there perhaps a connection?

I can remember as a teenager, when someone catching a tiny stickleback in the Sheffield canal led to a headline on the fishing page of the local paper! :eek:

Jack, as an angler I can appreciate the need to do this. (Yes, I had a successful day!) Had myself a good chuckle too picturing that to myself.:p

Fantastic photos, thank you! One's imagination certainly gets to fly when you see pictures like that. It's always tragic to see buildings and companies fade to history like that, but I guess that is one part of the fascination about it.

Jack, as an angler I can appreciate the need to do this. (Yes, I had a successful day!) Had myself a good chuckle too picturing that to myself.:p

I'm glad to hear that you had a good day Tom :) Angling was hugely popular among the Sheffield cutlers, apart from drinking, it was probably my main recreation, but at least from my grandfather's time, anglers had to travel two counties away to find rivers which were clean enough to fish. Back in the 1960's and 70's, the thought that there would ever be fish in the River Don again seemed incredible. There were a few local reservoirs, but the fishing there wasn't good. Local anglers used to say of one of them, that if you could catch fish in 'Dam Flask', you could catch fish anywhere! :D There were a lot of anglers who came back home 'watter-licked', as they say in Sheffield (literally to be beaten by the water) :thumbup:

Fantastic photos, thank you! One's imagination certainly gets to fly when you see pictures like that. It's always tragic to see buildings and companies fade to history like that, but I guess that is one part of the fascination about it.

Thank you :) Yes, I guess if all these companies were still in full production, they'd be less interesting in many ways :thumbup:

Thanks for the great photos Jack! Wish I had gotten up there a couple years ago when we were in London! Best Jim

Thanks Jim, I hope you get another chance to visit :thumbup:

Looking past a few age wrinkles, there's still a great deal of beauty and history in those grand old buildings. Thanks for the pictures!!!

Thank you for posting this information Jack! I appreciate learning more about such an important cutlery town.
Nathan

Very nice, Jack :thumbup: Bumping this back to page 1 and will spend some more time looking at the photos.

Thanks Jake, I took some more pics yesterday, and will add them when I get the chance :thumbup:

I've just updated this thread by adding some more photos, taken when I was in Sheffield last week. Sadly, some of the factories in my original post have recently been demolished, while others are scheduled for demolition soon.

Thanks for taking the time to put together this post Jack. I really enjoyed it Sunday morning with a cup of coffee :thumbup:

Thanks for taking the time to put together this post Jack. I really enjoyed it Sunday morning with a cup of coffee :thumbup:

Thanks my friend, good to see you back :thumbup:

Just added a few more pics :thumbup:

Unfortunately, the recent forum software changes have scrambled the title and text of this thread somewhat, and also mean that I can't edit in new pics as I'd hoped to do when I started. Here's a few more pics though, from my last trip to Sheffield :thumbsup:

Back