Shining Rock Wilderness, N.C., an amazing new survival pack, and perfect weather

Well, keep posting pictures of Richard cavorting in the wilderness and we'll negotiate...:D

Well, keep posting pictures of Richard cavorting in the wilderness and we'll negotiate...:D

DSC_3000.jpg
:cool:

Great pics Brian. Good to see you hittng the timber. :thumbup: I'm waiting for fall to get out from in front of the grinder for some R&R.
Scott

Is this the version 1 or 2 pack? I don't see any compression straps on it and no side pouches so I guessing version 1, right?

No, this pack is Version 2 all the way. The side straps function quite well as compression straps. Check out the other pics I took from the side and back of the pack, and compare to the listed pack on their website. You can use these side straps to attach extra side pockets - that then can be removed and worn as a dayhike pack when you wander from camp and don't want to carry the full load with you.

Great pics Brian. Good to see you hittng the timber. :thumbup: I'm waiting for fall to get out from in front of the grinder for some R&R.
Scott

Scott, it feels great. I was working 24/7 for awhile and had no time, and now I'm out there almost every day, and will be doing so for at least the next month! :thumbup:

Last edited:
No, this pack is Version 2 all the way. The side straps function quite well as compression straps. Check out the other pics I took from the side and back of the pack, and compare to the listed pack on their website. You can use these side straps to attach extra side pockets - that then can be removed and worn as a dayhike pack when you wander from camp and don't want to carry the full load with you.

OK now I'm confused. Please see the review done on this link:
http://www.oregonconcealedcarry.com/index.php?showtopic=2890&st=0&gopid=36272&#entry36272
The review of this bag was done on the ofagear.com forum section. In the review he says his is the version 2 bag. But his doesn't have the front outside pockets that yours does but his has compression straps running across the main compartment and on the sides. Your pack only looks to have them on the side. Am I missing something?
So this pack that is being shown on the ofagear.com website is actually the version 1 or 2? It looks much different than what you are carrying. Your version has 2 outside pockets made into the face of the pack which I don't mind one bit, however I don't see the compression straps on yours that ran across the face of his pack to keep the main compartment zipper from "possibly" blowing out. If the zipper did break at least you would have the straps to keep every thing from falling out behind you on the trail. I would have a lot more of a secure feeling with the straps across the main compartment.

Can you tell me why the two bags look so completely different and which one would I be getting if I was to order today?

OK now I'm confused. Please see the review done on this link:
http://www.oregonconcealedcarry.com/index.php?showtopic=2890&st=0&gopid=36272&#entry36272
The review of this bag was done on the ofagear.com forum section. In the review he says his is the version 2 bag. But his doesn't have the front outside pockets that yours does but his has compression straps running across the main compartment and on the sides. Your pack only looks to have them on the side. Am I missing something?
So this pack that is being shown on the ofagear.com website is actually the version 1 or 2? It looks much different than what you are carrying. Your version has 2 outside pockets made into the face of the pack which I don't mind one bit, however I don't see the compression straps on yours that ran across the face of his pack to keep the main compartment zipper from "possibly" blowing out. If the zipper did break at least you would have the straps to keep every thing from falling out behind you on the trail. I would have a lot more of a secure feeling with the straps across the main compartment.

Can you tell me why the two bags look so completely different and which one would I be getting if I was to order today?

Let me double-check with OFAGEAR. I was told this was the 2.0 version.

While we await the verdict, I'd like to say that this version is my preferred. Why? All those compression straps etc. tend to get hung up in dense bush/vegetation in my past experience. However, if you want to go camouflage with real vegetation, then all those straps come in handy.

Here are more close up pictures of the one I am evaluating:

Side view:
PICT0001-6.jpg

Top view, outer pockets closed (note the excellent zipper configuration - it stops higher on one side than the other, preventing it from just flopping open and dumping the contents:
PICT0002-8.jpg

Top view pockets open:
PICT0003-6.jpg

Weapons compartment open:
PICT0007-5.jpg

Top two (of three) zippered pockets on pack side of weapons compartment:
PICT0008-6.jpg

YKK extra heavy-duty zipper (Sorry, using my crap camera instead of the good one):
PICT0009-6.jpg

Another zipper shot:
PICT0011-3.jpg

Shoulder strap area:
PICT0012-2.jpg

Bottom of shoulder straps, and shot of belt strap, plus pocket for axe, shovel, or saw):
PICT0013-3.jpg

And here is the main cargo compartment opened (same zipper config as the small pockets):
PICT0005-8.jpg

The ofagear.com webpage also refers to an additional pocket on the very top of the pack for readily accesible items. Is this on yours as well?
Is yours capable of adding side pockets using the compression straps?

Okay, I have confirmation: Mine is the latest and greatest - version 2. The other reviewer had the wrong information. If you order, this one is the version you'll receive. There is an update at the bottom of the WASP page on their site that says it is version 1 on that page, I believe.

Differences: The top of V2 is rounded instead of square, to prevent snags. The back pockets are designed to be used as a rifle rest and some concealment while shooting and reduces or eliminates the need for the external pockets seen on V1; The side bags on V1 were separate with their own harness - and the designers are not sure if its retrofittable since they haven't checked it; material is ballistic nylon.

This pack can be used a hundred different ways from regular back pack to bug out bag.

It is mission-designed around Oregon firearms Acadeny's wiilderness survival courses around two specific missions:

If you are 3 hrs or more from home; or a bag to carry your rifle concealed wherever you may go without giving away the contents. The secrets of using it to its maximum potantial are fully covered in the OFA classes. They designed this after years of field-experience and feedback.

It is not just designed for wilderness use. It is for all environments - wilderness, urban, rural, suburban.

I highly suggest you order one! It is simply the best all-around pack, and most versatile I have ever used bar-none.

Last edited:
Also, mine does not have the top pocket, and I don't see the need for it. Either way, you have to take off the pack to get to it. I like the outer pockets for that - faster access, and the pistol won't be compressed by the whole pack like it would be on top, which would make it harder to retrieve under duress.

Last edited:
Cool.
Thanks for the time spent looking into this.

If you don't mind my asking what is it you do for a living that allows you to take so much time off during the year and most important are there any openings.
I'm in construction contracting, working from 5:30 am to 7:00 and 8:00 at night. IT SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!!!

hunter,

Right now I am on a two-month sabbatical, researching and writing for articles related to the outdoors. You'll see some stuff popping up in several publications.

Prior to this, I was in security contracting for a long time, and LEO and military tactical training. I decided to make a huge switch and go into working for a friend's private business in a totally different industry, but he ran out of money before we could really get started. He "forgot" to tell me he was in massive debt when he asked me aboard. :rolleyes:

Back