Shining Rock Wilderness, N.C., an amazing new survival pack, and perfect weather

Maybe he thought the company just needed some fresh money....I mean blood to pick it back up?

Back to the pack for a sec. Does the new version have the top pocket as well?

I also read where you have had many, many packs thru the years and having been military have you ever used the CFP 90 mil spec pack?
I have always liked the layout of this pack. It always looked like a pack that could be easily adapted. It has all the outside pockets that I like and plenty of webbing tie on spots for other stuff. I especially liked the detachable patrol pack that can be attached or removed for smaller day hikes or quick bug outs. I would have all my essentials in it should I ever have to drop and run. The separate zippered sleeping bag compartment on the bottom always seemed like a great feature. But then again I am only speculating because I have never actually owned one, but the mil specs have gone down about 75% as of late.
Would you have any input on this pack?

One more thing: V2 has signifcantly more cubic inches than V1 - one of the improvements from feedback. Dan Abbott posted this in his forum:

The Version 2 (V2) pack has been updated to include more space and with the addition of the two back pockets have eliminated the need for the extra side pouches. The side pouches are a custom order item and didn't come with V1 pack either. The guy on the OCC forum who wrote the review ordered these extra for his pack. The side pouches snap into the compression strap buckles and then any larger implements (shovel, buck saw, ax etc) is stored behind it. The side pouches worked okay but added bulk and made the pack less nimble or maneuverable. Now with V2 the pack is more streamline in the brush/trail. The side pouches are a pain to get in/out of vehicles and V2 is much better system.

V2 is designed so everything goes inside to reduce wetness, damage or loss of gear. Our experience revealed to us that we don't want to lose gear or have it torn or damaged by blackberry thorns, falling down hills etc. Keeping everything inside prevents problems. There are two missions for this pack - to be carried everyday in a vehicle for emergencies or in a mid-to-long term bug out survival situation. So all gear is stored long term inside even though many people would like to use it for general backpacking and other venues. Just keep its' mission in mind and you will understand - you may not like it but at least you'll understand

The pack is designed by a person who has literally lived more days outdoors than indoors...living literally months and years outside and fully trusting the gear on his back in many "real" survival situations. Once he was a director for a wilderness program and spent over one year in the wild only sleeping under a roof for two nights! He's been in combat and traveled the world living out of his ruck sack. So all the gear he designs is as bombproof as is humanly possible and he uses the best materials he can find...now that is not to say they can't or won't fail either...they are YKK zippers and we've not lost a zipper yet.

Worst case scenario...you blow a zipper out...you just take some 550 Para cord out of your WASP and wrap and secure it with either a Trucker's Hitch or a Taunt Line hitch and you'll be just as good or better than if you had a compression strap. The problem with compression straps is while under pressure a limb or something gets caught in it something will give. The webbing and stitches will hold but often the buckles will not…so for a back up system nothing replaces paracord and knowing a couple knots.

Last edited:
LOL re: fresh blood. See my post above on the top pocket. I was not military, only lucked into training them and training with them as a private contractor.

I've used the CFP 90 pack, but seriously, I have never cared much for mil spec anything "pack-wise" so far. It's an area that has been sorely lacking for our troops. However, the CFP 90 seems to be a huge improvement for them compared to others. Edit to add: the mil-spec packs have too many nooks and crannies that get hung up during maneuvers, and they are still not comfortable to me suspension-wise.

Maybe he thought the company just needed some fresh money....I mean blood to pick it back up?

Back to the pack for a sec. Does the new version have the top pocket as well?

I also read where you have had many, many packs thru the years and having been military have you ever used the CFP 90 mil spec pack?
I have always liked the layout of this pack. It always looked like a pack that could be easily adapted. It has all the outside pockets that I like and plenty of webbing tie on spots for other stuff. I especially liked the detachable patrol pack that can be attached or removed for smaller day hikes or quick bug outs. I would have all my essentials in it should I ever have to drop and run. The separate zippered sleeping bag compartment on the bottom always seemed like a great feature. But then again I am only speculating because I have never actually owned one, but the mil specs have gone down about 75% as of late.
Would you have any input on this pack?

Last edited:
In terms of using it as a travel pack - do the zippers meet in a way that they can be padlocked closed and is thier provision for zipping the harness out of the way so they dont get caught on luggage conveyers?

I decided to make a huge switch and go into working for a friend's private business in a totally different industry, but he ran out of money before we could really get started. He "forgot" to tell me he was in massive debt when he asked me aboard. :rolleyes:

I HATE IT when that happens! ;)

In terms of using it as a travel pack - do the zippers meet in a way that they can be padlocked closed and is thier provision for zipping the harness out of the way so they dont get caught on luggage conveyers?

Davyd,

Absolutely yes, the zippers can be padlocked. They are all double-zippers on the outside of the pack. That includes the two external pockets.

Let me play with the harness to see how it can be "restrained." You can't zipper it, but I suspect with some creativity it can be packed down tight to avoid conveyor problems.

I HATE IT when that happens! ;)

LMAO! No Sh**! I know you know about that...and then some!

Last edited:

get yourself a cheap but heavy duty canvas duffle bag at Gander Mountain to put it in. I use one for storing all the family sleeping bags. I put 3 large sleeping bags in the main compartment and fill the sides with fleece liners and heavy blankets for when it gets to cold.
Very heavy duty, very large with large sidepockets for other stuff. There only $20.00 and it'll protect your new $350.00 backpack from damage.

hunter, ya beat me to it! I forgot to mention that when I fly and am heading into backcountry, I always put my pack in a large duffel back. I have watched how baggage handlers will grab and throw heavy packs by whichever loop, nook, or cranny their hands find first. It can be worse for your pack than the most extreme outdoor activity!!!

Rock,

My pleasure!

More like 4000 ci with version 2. I think the argument that it was 3500 ci was because of inadequate packing, plus, they didn't take into account the three zippered pouches and the weapons compartment space. The side pockets are still an option with Ver 2.

I'll be taking it out with an AR-15 type rifle next weekend (I'll have the company of our esteemed new firefighter, JackBauer24, who will supply the rifle since mine is in CT), and work with it on weapons deployment, etc. Kind of recreating scenarios in which this design can be used effectively under duress.
:thumbup::thumbup:

jack, I'll call you today to arrange. Looks like we got the private land for out tests, so we can actually SHOOT! Mapper66 will probably join us.

great! btw, I forgot my phone at home agian. lol. email me or I'll get up with you this evening. Now I just have to figure out how to "convince" my wife she doesn't want to go.

Back