• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Shipping a bunch of knives to Germany, need advice

Hi, I ship International from time to time, typically one folder. Well I had someone from Germany buy $850 worth of cutlery off me today. I would usually just package em up, ship using USPS Priority since its the only way to insure internationally. Well, Im hesitant due to the decent price tag. I feel if I put $850 worth of knives on the custom form then something bad will come from it. The only other time I shipped that much stuff across USA lines was to Canada and they took it upon themselves to confiscate 6 Spydies that they sell in Canada!!!!!

I guess what I am asking, has anyone had problems shipping high dollar stuff to Germany? Im gonna insure the package, but Im thinking it might be a waste of $. I insured the 6 confiscated by Canadian customs but was not able to make a claim since they were not lost or stolen(IMO they were). How would you go about shipping $850 worth of knives to Germany? Thanks for any insight. Peace.

Have you thought about multiple packages? Might be one way.
I know there is cost involved, maybe your customer and you can come to some agreement.

mike

Have you thought about multiple packages? Might be one way.
I know there is cost involved, maybe your customer and you can come to some agreement.

mike
Not a bad idea. Not sure he speaks English but Im gonna possibly put that past him. Thanks Mike.

I just called paypal and the lady told me the only way I would be covered if the buyer were to make a claim was to provide tracking info, something USPS can not do. She told me to use UPS, Fed ex or DHL. I assume this will cost a butt load more, hopefully my buyer is understanding.

I don't want to get anything stated about shipping knives to Germany again, but I would advise you ask your USPS Postmaster to show you the regulations on shipping to Germany before you do the sell. Kinda confusing, and He may see it differant than my friend/Postmaster that strongy advised me not to ship anything with an edge to Germany.

Get payment with Western Union or something, because if his knives don't get to him I'm pretty sure he will file a dispute with paypal or CC faster than you can blink.

If they do get lost or stolen in customs your gonna be screwed bud.

In Canada for $50 we can have tracking and insurance to almost any country in the world. I'm just surprised you don't have something similar with USPS.

aj

ive shipped all over europe, including germany. always usps international priority. ive always put the true value on the customs forms. they were busse knives, so the value was $300+.

never had any issues other than customs delays.

I purchase knives online from US stores regularly and have them sent to Germany. Due to a mild degree of compulsive buying disorder that many knife lovers seem to share these aquisitions sometimes amount to quit a sum of money. Up to now, there never has been a problem. German customs are only too glad to cash in on these shipments. This is a grievance to the buyer, not to the vendor.

I prefer shipment by USPS Priority because it is insured. Tracking always worked well for me because USPS cooperates with DHL (at least they did in the past), which delivers shipments in Germany.

There have been some changes to the German laws regulating the possession and carrying of weapons that Ken44 seems to adress, but as far as knives are concerned these changes only pertain to carrying a knife. To put it short, you have to provide a legal reason if you want to carry certain types of knives. With the exception of balisongs, gravity knives and large automatic knives possession of knives is not restricted in Germany. So shipping a folder or a fixed blade to Germany definitely is no problem.

Mike

Last edited:
Back