Shiro won’t flip open

Hi. I just got my first Shiro (Neon Zero Monkey Edge Frag Pattern) and I can’t get it to open with the small flipper.

It just won’t budge. Ironically, if I try from the left side it opens 50% of the time.

I’m surprised this expensive knife isn’t flawless.

Any ideas? I loosened the pivot but it made no difference.

Last edited:
So I had to open mine up and chamfer the detent hole. It was such a tiny slope to create, but such a drastic improvement. It was an easy fix but I am nit one to sweat warranty’s. At least now I can flip it open even when forcing lock bar against the blade. I had the exact same issue. There was zero chamfering one the detent hole and it was too much force to overcome.

my hation zero was the same way when new.. it broke in after about a week of seemingly constant flipping. it's perfect now

I had a flawed Shirogorov too, it happens. Like others said, it’s related to the detent. Wether it’s the hole that needs better geometry or your hand putting too much pressure, you’ll need to figure that out. Either way, expensive knives can be far from flawless.

I feel like I missed a memo or something. When did your username change?

I figured it out. My non-flipper fingers are pushing on the framelock. They naturally go there.

I’m not very impressed.

Yeah, the smaller ones aren’t meant for everyone. Had one, sold it. Decided to give the neon another shot, sold that one also. The bigger Shirogorov’s are what fits my hands better. No issues with finger placement on the 95, F3, or 111

Oh my. I did extensive research on this issue when I got a neon zero and had a thread with some Shiro experts on it and sent the knife to a Shiro guru to be looked at. There was actually nothing wrong with the knife except that even the slightest pressure on the lock bar made it impossible to open and would bruise your thumb. I ultimately adapted, and if you hold your hand the right way (only touching the clip) it fires like a rocket. But one of the most finicky knives I have ever owned,
and if you even breathe on the lock bar it’s a problem. That said, it’s one of my favorite knives ever (although unlike any other Shiro I have which require no accommodations) and I carry and use it all the time. It may not be for you, understandably, as adapting to a knife can be frustrating, but for what it is worth I stuck with it and the Shiro turned out to be one I won’t part with. Hope this helps.

Oh my. I did extensive research on this issue when I got a neon zero and had a thread with some Shiro experts on it and sent the knife to a Shiro guru to be looked at. There was actually nothing wrong with the knife except that even the slightest pressure on the lock bar made it impossible to open and would bruise your thumb. I ultimately adapted, and if you hold your hand the right way (only touching the clip) it fires like a rocket. But one of the most finicky knives I have ever owned,
and if you even breathe on the lock bar it’s a problem. That said, it’s one of my favorite knives ever (although unlike any other Shiro I have which require no accommodations) and I carry and use it all the time. It may not be for you, understandably, as adapting to a knife can be frustrating, but for what it is worth I stuck with it and the Shiro turned out to be one I won’t part with. Hope this helps.
Impressive response!

Seems to be very common with framlock flippers. I have several ZT's that suffer the same issue, breath on the lock bar and " No flipping for you!". Manufacturers undoubtedly are aware of this issue and just keep cranking out these defective knives. Buyer beware because the makers of these knive will gladly sell you a defective product.

Seems to be very common with framlock flippers. I have several ZT's that suffer the same issue, breath on the lock bar and " No flipping for you!". Manufacturers undoubtedly are aware of this issue and just keep cranking out these defective knives. Buyer beware because the makers of these knive will gladly sell you a defective product.

They're not defective, just keep your fingers off the lock bar. I remember so many people having trouble with the Bareknuckle when it came out, but I never had the problem. Hold the knife by the frame and clip and it flips with no issue. I've even put fingers on the lockbar and got it to flip. A light touch goes a long way.

A double detent isn't the solution imo... That just makes knives more expensive, and more complicated. Or they can use different locks.

They're not defective, just keep your fingers off the lock bar. I remember so many people having trouble with the Bareknuckle when it came out, but I never had the problem. Hold the knife by the frame and clip and it flips with no issue. I've even put fingers on the lockbar and got it to flip. A light touch goes a long way.

A double detent isn't the solution imo... That just makes knives more expensive, and more complicated. Or they can use different locks.

I stand by my assertion that these knives are defective. How the hell can you defend a knife that won't work if you are TOUCHING PART OF THE FREAKIN HANDLE.

I stand by my assertion that these knives are defective. How the hell can you defend a knife that won't work if you are TOUCHING PART OF THE FREAKIN HANDLE.
Guns dont work if you hold onto the slide. Its a mechanical device that requires you to not put an outside influence onto a portion of the knife to function properly. This is why other lock mechanisms exist.

Back