Shop updates and pics

Scheduled delivery for Wednesday. Counting down!
Couple days of part time work then buildng new stuff.

Work bench.
Grinder stand, tables, dust collection, lighting.
Best case scenario, I can fire the grinder this weekend. Hell I would love to be able to at least turn it on this week!

FREAKING STOKED!!!!

Great news! :) You must be excited to get back into it.

No vanax or Rex121? :(

Look forward to seeing what models you're producing. :thumbsup:
Unfortunately at this time its very difficult to find both of those steels.

I've got some end cuts of vanax I plan of using for little 3 finger knives.
They will be posted here and on Instagram. .

It's a shame you can't find those steels.

I wonder if it's because they're growing in popularity for knives, or if their production levels just go up and down for other (non-knife) products.

Let us know when Vanax is back in stock.

It's a shame you can't find those steels.

I wonder if it's because they're growing in popularity for knives, or if their production levels just go up and down for other (non-knife) products.

Let us know when Vanax is back in stock.
It is getting more popular (vanax).
And I know more of my customers want REX 121. I currently have someone that wants a Rex 121 Nakiri.........
Only downside is I have to buy a full plate. And thats $1,500.

How about a fighter-hunter?

I don't often see this combination, at least, a design optimized for both. (there are plenty of designs that will do both task poorly, e.g. survival knives)

In other words:
- sharp geometry!
- very sharp point, for penetration (e.g. in hunting - piercing the hide during gutting / skinning)
- not too much of a drop point, because a large drop makes it hard to angle the tip to penetrate hide
- sharp, but still robust enough to do boning, or to hit bone with the tip now and then
- as an added bonus, the use of 3V at 3/16 would mean some camp tasks would be viable, despite the thin geometry, so it would be a fighter-hunter-camp knife. Just not the over-built 'survival knife' that is so common.

Blade length 3-4 inches: good for processing small and medium game.
Blade length 6-6.5 inches: good for processing meat on large game, dispatching wounded game (cut it's throat), and even as a pig-sticker for smaller hogs.

Reasonably thick handle with good belly. Grippy handle texture and large guard to stop your hand sliding around.

How about a fighter-hunter?

I don't often see this combination, at least, a design optimized for both. (there are plenty of designs that will do both task poorly, e.g. survival knives)

In other words:
- sharp geometry!
- very sharp point, for penetration (e.g. in hunting - piercing the hide during gutting / skinning)
- not too much of a drop point, because a large drop makes it hard to angle the tip to penetrate hide
- sharp, but still robust enough to do boning, or to hit bone with the tip now and then
- as an added bonus, the use of 3V at 3/16 would mean some camp tasks would be viable, despite the thin geometry, so it would be a fighter-hunter-camp knife. Just not the over-built 'survival knife' that is so common.

Blade length 3-4 inches: good for processing small and medium game.
Blade length 6-6.5 inches: good for processing meat on large game, dispatching wounded game (cut it's throat), and even as a pig-sticker for smaller hogs.

Reasonably thick handle with good belly. Grippy handle texture and large guard to stop your hand sliding around.
I think I can build something like that.

I already have a few ideas for it.
I'll be watching a movie and brainstorming very soon. I'll post pics of the designs I come up with.

Ordered some V4E from Bohler.
Wow that steel is pricey!
(Insert shocked face)

Should be a super sick camp knife.
Gonna be expensive, but totally sweet.
(Below model is Zwear at 0.220-0.250 thick with RCF handles)
Screenshot_20201219-172257_Instagram.jpg

Also vanax can basically only be ordered through Bohler. None of the usual suppliers have it available currently. So the wait for more vanax stock continues.

Back