short and stubby?

Hey - Can you guys recommend me a folder, ~2" blade (or less) that has some serious thickness? $100 or less would be nice. Steel is not too big an issue.

If there is a fixed blade that you feel really fits the bill, please cry out!

Many thanks!

I can't think of anything that will have a sub-2" blade, that will be thicker than maybe 3/32", or maybe at the most 1/8". Any thicker, and you'll run into a lot of friction & resistance when cutting.

There are some itty-bitty last-resort type fixed blade knives out there, but I think that's about it. These folks may have something:
http://www.topsknives.com/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=8vhmsq2ioj8jibaperdh9i52i4

If you look in the Knife Makers Discussion sub-forum, you'll find any number of makers who could make what you need.

thx - cpr

I ordered 2 widgys last week :thumbup:

These leads are great! Please keep them coming!

I'm a fan of the BRKT Mikro Canadian. Small fixed blade, thick steel, comfortable handle, nice leather sheath that can be found for under $100.00.

How about an Ontario Little Bird? Sub 2" blade, micarta or G10 scales or even paracord if you prefer. Worth a look.

what about the boker subcom and warcom, or spyderco poliwog

They have a good amount of belly, but they are pretty thin (about 2mm or less).

Plus, I've noticed on Subcoms (two of them, actually) that the edge fades away very fast. It's a good knife to keep around if you want to accomplish daily beater tasks like using it as a putty knife, but not quite as an EDC.

And no, the edge didn't blunt because I was using it as a putty knife; it blunted cutting up boxes and packages. It only took maybe one or two boxes before I had to resharpen the thing. :( If they made it in a premium steel or with a better heat treatment, I would buy another in an instant.

Al Mar SLB or Havana Clipper. Not sure if they are thick enough for your purposes, but pretty thick for such a short blade.

Ask coletrane811 about the Boker Wharcom, he lives and dies by it and carries it everyday, so it must be pretty handy...

not a thick blade but a good short fixed blade is the buck harsook. its s30v steel heat treated by the infamous paul bos. like i said, not thick but is a fixed blade with under a 2inch blade and is tough for a small knife.

Hmm. How about an Emerson CQC14 Snubby? You can find them for around $100-120.

CQC14_BT_LG.jpg

(Not my pic)

If you like a Wharncliffe style edge, a cutting length of 1.9" x .145" of carbon steel can be found in a Bark River Knife & Tool 'Micro T.U.S.K.' for $108-$115 delivered, depending on handle material, from knivesshipfree.com. Derrick is a good fellow to deal with - and Bark Rivers come deceptively sharp (convex edge) and are really custom knives in small production lots. I have a full sized T.U.S.K. - it's a delightful general purpose knife - and a great carver.

Stainz

go check out the breakout model folder in the great lakes waterjet subforum in the manufacturers section. looks like it's exactly what you want.

What you need is a CRKT Stubby Razel; Folder or fixed...

CR-4020RH-small.jpg

CR-2011-small.jpg

Both are little tanks - I have the fixed, ringed razel and I bought the small folder for my Dads birthday gift - he loves it. I love mine.

Gibby

Last edited:
Look at the CS Mini Hunter, its pretty awesome, fixed blade, full flat grind, VG-1 steel, securex sheath, about 30 bucks, but its a littler longer than 3"

Hey - Can you guys recommend me a folder, ~2" blade (or less) that has some serious thickness? $100 or less would be nice. Steel is not too big an issue.

I have a Blade-Tech Mouse-lite that fits the bill. Lockback one hand opening blade is just shy of 2", and about .125" thick, with almost a full flat grind. AUS-8 steel. Closed length is about 3". Mine has FRN handle, with tip up right/left pocketclip. Good fit and finish, great lockup, available in several colors from various vendors, black, green, orange, purple, blue. They can be had for less than $25. I believe they have another knife in the same size with a different shaped blade about the same price.

Back