short shortsword

Only one tool for this dangerous mission: the Applegate Fairborn Smatchet:

HS2.jpg

oh and ps apparently the "smatchet" has anton levey's stamp of devilish approval.

Smatchet!!!!

Now, I am FULLY aware of the fairbarn combat smatchet, so mods please kick out anyone who links to one after this warning, thanks. The smatchet in question does not have enough length for my needs.

No Smatchet eh . . .

how about this:

wp48112a.jpg

I think you'll find that a foot long blade is a formidable size for a knife :) In fact, the crossover between a knife and a sword is somewhere between 25 and 30 cm, that is 10 and 12 inches.

The blade I'm looking for is DOUBLE EDGED and 12-14 inches long. But thanks anyway :)

Seriously, I doubt you'll find anything you're looking for in that length range. Most knives in that range (sorry, I don't consider it a sword until you're over 20 inches) are going to be bowie style blades or a dirk, or if you want double edged, a dagger.

Why the emphasis on slashing in a ECQB environment? It's more effective to stab like a sewing machine (hence the popularity of daggers). Or the good ol' American fighting knife, the Bowie. Which can slash effectively, stab effectively, has a wide blade and a thick spine for parrying.

Imncidentally, you mentioned this idea being good for carry where "weapons aren't allowed", either in this thread, or the "concord" sword thread.
By their nature as fighting knives, double edged blades (usually to inmclude any blade sharpened past 1/4" on the "spine" side) are typically illegal for carry. Even where carry of large single edged knioves and guns are allowed. So you're kind of defeating part of your stated purpose.

If you're dead set on such a blade and must have it in those dimensions, it looks like you need to talk to someone about a custom job.

C'mon guys-this guy is clearly a serious martial artist and needs a serious martial arts weapon-now he presented his question clearly and honestly,don't you think he deserves a clear and honest answer?Give the guy a break-he's just looking for some good information from our vast pool of knowledge.That being said;I recommend the Applegate Fairborn Smatchet!:D:D:D

i have never seen so many smatchets posted before in one thread. i think i'll have to make one. what do you think ultra? it seems the smatchet is everyone's choice here so you cant go wrong.:D (and nobody got kicked:D)

http://www.mineralmountain.com/lk.htm

not really leaf shaped blade, but I guarantee you can slash with it.

http://www.mineralmountain.com/kinjal.htm

more leaf shaped, but only 11 inches long.

http://www.dervishknives.com/yataghan.htm This one would be a good slasher and stabber. but not totally leaf shaped.

http://www.angustrimdirect.com/models/tac/tacleaf.htm This one is an actual "tactical sword" with a 23 inch leaf blade, but also a 9 inch handle.

http://www.ltspecpro.com/88pb.html Some one mentioned a barong from CS, you could sharpen the back side if you had the patience. That would be a cheap option, and it does have a short handle.

nothing in the size you are looking for is going to be super easy to conceal, and you would not want to have to explain why to a cop.

hope some of those help out.
If you can't find what you are looking for, a custom maker might be willing to make what you want.

oh, telling the mods to ban anyone who makes fun of you is not going to help your cause at all. Just be mellow.

This looks like it'll fit the bill.

gladius.jpg

It is the culmination of the best slasher and the best thruster. The blade has an elongated berong shape renowned for its ultimate chopping power and penetration. The oversized guard provides enhanced protection for the hand. It will take direct blows from another blade without damaging the edge. The long handle enables the user to choose from close quarter battle mode or largo mano. The Tactical Gladius has but one purpose. It is the deadliest short sword out there. Made by Ernest Mayer of Black Cloud, our version is made of A2 but it can be made out of anything else. It is, in our opinion, Ernie's best work.

SPECS
Cutting Edge length: 15"
Blade length: 19"
Overall length: 30"
Handle length: 10"
Weight: 3 1/4 lbs.
Price: $1,700.00

or you could just get a smatchet.

tedwca........damn, I forgot to link that one. I was actually looking at that one, then forgot to link it. Do you think the local cops will see this tactical knife if I carry it "Inside the waist band" maybe he will just think I am happy to see them.

I just signed up for the forums so I could read a thread or three. Little did I know that I'd have my eyes opened to the goodness that is the smatchet! Now I want one.

=)

If all else fails you could get the CS double edged machette, and if your really bored, you can use a grinder or a belt sander to thin it out a bit to make the tip a little bit more dagger like.

I'm sure that the gladius option has been already thrown out there as well.

Why not a Bolo or a gunting?

fairbairn_47.gif

(From HOW TO CQC: THE SMATCHET, THE 20TH CENTURY SWORD)

Fig. 116: As the villainous cur begs for mercy, give him a little poke with the smatchet and ask him again in a sterner tone where the princess is being kept. Shaking your fist is vital to this interrogation technique.

Fig 117: Using your smatchet to cover your face, walk past the sentry. Your camouflage will render the rest of you effectively invisible, making you look like a floating smatchet to the average German eye. Remember not to respond to the inquisitive sentry: real floating smatchets don't talk.

Fig 118: Ask the enemy to close his eyes and wait for a big surprise. Then, chop his head off with your big knife. Running off and leaving the opponent waiting for the surprise indefinitely is also acceptable, through it is considered quite rude in polite society.

Fig 119: Duck and weave, then punch him in the face when he's charging for a special move. This technique is also applicable when barehanded (SEE HOW TO CQC:YOUR BARE HANDS, NATURE'S GUN).

This looks like it'll fit the bill.

gladius.jpg

It is the culmination of the best slasher and the best thruster. The blade has an elongated berong shape renowned for its ultimate chopping power and penetration. The oversized guard provides enhanced protection for the hand. It will take direct blows from another blade without damaging the edge. The long handle enables the user to choose from close quarter battle mode or largo mano. The Tactical Gladius has but one purpose. It is the deadliest short sword out there. Made by Ernest Mayer of Black Cloud, our version is made of A2 but it can be made out of anything else. It is, in our opinion, Ernie's best work.

SPECS
Cutting Edge length: 15"
Blade length: 19"
Overall length: 30"
Handle length: 10"
Weight: 3 1/4 lbs.
Price: $1,700.00

or you could just get a smatchet.

Oh, that is SWEET! Now if I only had 1,700 dollars to spend on one.....

Back