Should I buy a Hinderer or ZT

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Sigsog226, Nov 24, 2019.

Which one would you buy?

1. ZT0562ti

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Hinderer xm 3"

24 vote(s)
    48.0%
  1. Sigsog226

Sigsog226 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2013
    So I usually don't post this kind of thread, usually don't need help deciding on something. I tend to like what I like, but I'm giving myself a complex over this one :)

I'm looking at the ZT0562ti and a Hinderer 3" slicer grind(with or without choil, I can take it or leave it). The ZT has the all ti going for it, which I usually don't go for, but love it on Rick's designs for some reason. Also like the clip and everything about it. But I keep thinking about what I'm missing out on with a Hinderer. I have breifly handled both, and still can't decide.

New the ZT is short of $300 and xm is $400-500. On the exchange lately the ZT seems to hang around $200ish and xm's for $300ish.

So I guess I'm asking for those who have owned or used them, is the extra $100 and lack of ti scale worth it? It just seems for $100 more, the real deal is there. Not really worried about having the Hinderer name, just the quality, cust service, useability, fit and finish, etc.

Appreciate any help and opinions out there in advance.

psmith27 and 91bravo like this.
  2. stonproject

stonproject

Nov 22, 2013
    Why not buy both?

AntDog, Sigsog226 and bigsurbob like this.
  3. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    I think it’s all in which one you want more. I’ve owned and used multiples of both and they are excellent knives. If you’re asking whether the Hinderer performs a $100 better than the 0562, I’d say no. Maybe better build materials but both of those knives are very similar and will perform similarly. If you want the Hinderer name, then get it. If you’re just looking for knife performance, I’d get the 0562 and save yourself a hundred bucks.

Of course this is just one opinion among many others.

4. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Never had a hinderer. Never felt the need since I have his designs in ZT. I say save the money and get the 0562.

5. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I've never owned a Hinderer but going back and forth on buying one, either a 3" or 3.5" Skinny.

I do own a ZT 0562cf and it's an amazing knife that I believe everyone should try. With that said I'd go with the 0562ti.

Sigsog226 likes this.
  6. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I have to agree that it is all about what will make you happy ... both are great knives ... I love my Hinderers but I can't say the XM-18 performs above the ZT if you are looking for value ...

but I enjoy my Hinderers ... and a big hook of the Hinderers are the custom options you can add ... but kick the cost up another 20% to 40% if you go all out ... so if that is what you want then the Hinderer is a great knife ...

if you go to a Skinny ... they do cut better with out of the box geometry ... the regular XM-18s I like to reprofile to 15 to 17 dps ...

the ZT is a quality no frills work horse ... you get what you expect.

Sigsog226 and 91bravo like this.
  7. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    The biggest difference I’ve seen is the option to personalize the knife. The Hinderer has more options than the ZT.
    Hinderer, IMO, has a better heat treat. I can only compare S35VN since I’ve got both in the same steel.
    With the tri-way pivot on the latest Hinderer’s, it may be worth the price difference. It also depends on how you’ll use the knife, I’ve read here that the bearings on the ZT have suffered rust issues, lock issues. Haven’t read that about Hinderer.

Sigsog226 likes this.
  8. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Between the ball bearing, PB washers and Teflon washer option you have with the Hinderer, I’d say that 90% of folks have the bearings in. Night and day difference between the bearings and PB/Teflon washers. Never had a problem with bearings in a ZT either. Using a knife like a knife, you’re not going to see a big difference between the two.

Sigsog226 likes this.
  9. Sigsog226

Dec 3, 2013
    Lol, honestly it crossed my mind. Because of all the great folks on the market place, I could pretty much pay what a new Hinderer would cost new and get both to try them out. And the resell value would hurt that bad buying used already.

And I would go 20cv on each of them. I wouldn't sink too much more money into them though. There's still more knives on my mind then just Hinderer's(naturally) ;)

And yeah, I never had a strong preference between bearings/washers. Both have worked fine for me. Including zts I have owned.

stonproject likes this.
  10. rpn

rpn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2008
    I have a 0562cf and all black version...they get much more carry time than my bowie xm. It's a great knife and killer cool...the zt design is just a better edc for me.

Sigsog226 likes this.
  11. Murphjd25

Murphjd25 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    I’ve got a Hinderer and love it. But the ZTs are just as good. I can’t really say what to do other then get both lol

Sigsog226 and Cursum Perficio like this.
  12. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    I like the design waaaaaay more on the XM. IMO the ZTs are goofy looking. And the XM clearly has superior hardware. I have several Hinderers and I’ve never given a second thought on buying a single ZT.

Sigsog226 likes this.
  13. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I have 4 Hinderer XM-18s and 4 ZT/Hinderers and I say the genuine Hinderer is absolutely $100+ better than ZT, better in terms of build quality, ergo, jimpings, grip, and aesthetics. This applies to both washer version and tri way version. Many people ignore two (potential) issues of ZT: the steel liner will rust/pit over time and the ball bearings will result in a groove on the ti lock side over time.

ETA: just the logo and wording on the blade alone, Hinderer is $50 better than ZT/Hinderer.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Sigsog226 likes this.
  14. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Zt is great but they don’t have the soul of a Hinderer nuff said :)

15. Biochemdawg

Biochemdawg Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 11, 2018
    Hinderer.

Sigsog226 likes this.
  16. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I have never had any rust issues on bearings ... if you use it regularly and wipe of moisture or any corrosive materials I don't think you would ever have issues ...

and I have a few Gen 6s on washers and I can't tell the difference after using them a bit.

never had any issue of rust with the ZT 552 either.

Sigsog226 likes this.
  17. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Hinderer FTW a picture or two says it all
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. PrimordialCat

PrimordialCat Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 16, 2019
    The ZT 0566 is more comparable to the 3” XM-18. The ZT 0562 is more like a 3.5” XM-18.

Sigsog226 and ScooterG like this.
  19. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    This is the 3” XM-18 that you want.
    No, wait, it’s the one I want.

Seriously though, if you’re asking the question, you really want the XM, so that’s what you should get.

68020C61-C3E7-4900-96D7-48B7F07874DB.jpeg

20. Sigsog226

Dec 3, 2013
    I do love the wharnie xm. Appreciate all the help and comments. I think all the conversation just got me excited even more about both of them, so I broke down and bought both of them tonight lol.
    First time I didn't choose, and just bought both knives. But funds allow it at this time so I went for it. The other knives on the list will just have to wait a little longer.