1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Should I Buy A native5?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Rashomon, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Rashomon

Rashomon

Sep 8, 2013
    Okay, friends. I'm at an pass and could use some helpful input! I've owned two versions of the Spyderco manix2:

Standard black G10
    - I did not enjoy the grind and there was severe blade centering and play issues. I still loved it however. The lockup, deployment and ergos are wonderful.

Manix2 Blue FRN
    - really loved this. I enjoyed the FFG and the lack of blade play. However it just 'felt' cheap and it's a not to light for my taste.

It would be a dream to own a Manix 2 sprint, which essentially Is the FFG Manix2 I'm dreaming of.

ANYWAY I'm really interested in the native5.

Forgive my rambling. It's quite late. Anyway. If you guys own a native, I'd appreciate it if you share your experience with the knife.

Thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing from you guys!

2. dalefuller

dalefuller Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 2, 2005
    I've had several N5s, have one inbound now. It's a very efficient little knife. It's little compared to the Para 2 or Rift or mini-CQC15 that I usually carry, but it's lighter, friendlier looking, and a better pocket carry than any of those. It's a very effective slicer and that's 95% of the cutting I do. I like S35VN as a blade steel and I like backlocks. In fact, they're coming back to the top of my list of fav locking mechanisms. G10 is my first choice for a handle material because it doesn't get cold or hot, it works well when wet, and not much seems to hurt it. I like the fact that the knife isn't open construction, so there's no chance of anything getting to the edge and messing it up when the knife is closed. Cleaning isn't an issue because a little warm soapy water will take care of anything that canned air by itself won't remove.

The F&F on the ones I've had has been excellent and Spyderco's latest version of the backlock (or midlock) has been a joy to use. Much easier than the old Buck backlocks with the lockbar release at the tail end of the knife.

3. Rashomon

Rashomon

Sep 8, 2013
    Thanks for the quick response! I'm working on buying one soon. I messaged the seller requesting that he check through his srock and selling me the best example. I love spyderco, but It seems that I'm disposed to receive the lemons :(
    just trying to be safe this time!
    Thanks

4. Rashomon

Rashomon

Sep 8, 2013
    I had a Dachshaund for 9 years! Love them. I grew up with her and we lost her this year. Such a bummer but I'm always glad to see a Dachshaund!

5. dalefuller

Feb 2, 2005
    Several online sellers that I'm familiar with will open and eyeball the knife for you if you ask them to. And there are those that won't. Just gotta know which ones will do that for you.

6. Rashomon

Rashomon

Sep 8, 2013
    Ha... That's a Doberman isn't it. Haha wow that's embarrassing. :)

7. dalefuller

Feb 2, 2005
    :p Molly would love that! She's a 70 lb. Doberman. We have known a couple of great Dachshunds, though. When we lived in WV, my guys were best friends with a neighborhood "gang". There was a Dachshund and his BF, a Great Dane named Sardekar, and my Collie and Beagle. They owned the neighborhood... and all the kids in it.

We are sorry for your loss. Been there more times than I care to remember.

8. Rashomon

Rashomon

Sep 8, 2013
    Hahaha that's amazing. And thanks for the kind words my friend!

9. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    Indirect answer to your question. I bought the 2013 forum knife, which was a Native 5 with an S110V blade - because of the blade steel. I liked it so well that I just bought a regular G10/S30V version. So...yes, you probably should. I will say it took me a little while to warm up to the knife, but it really grew on me. :thumbup:

10. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    There's also the new and improved Native 5 being released soon (?) if you can wait for it.
    Carbon laminate scales, S110V blade, bushing pivot, and larger screws. This one will be a winner.

11. powernoodle

powernoodle Power Member

Jul 21, 2004
    I too have been wanting the regular G10 version of the Native 5, but have not yet pulled the trigger.

[​IMG]
    Every thread can benefit from a little eye candy: EDC Forums Moonglow Native 5 with CPM S35VN steel.

12. Stainz

Stainz

Jun 24, 2007
    Several years ago, my wife overheard me suggesting to a friend that he should check out his local WallyWorld as I had just returned from mine after a cat litter run. They had a new knife - a Spydie N4 in FRN & S30v. She went back, <1mi, and bought me my first Spyderco - for <$40 before tax. I liked it so much, I bought their last one (They were priced too cheap!) as a backup. Still NIB, I took it with me last fall and got a better value from it in trade for a NIB N5 - the perfect EDC pocket knife.

My initial misgivings of the riveted FRN construction never bore fruit. Through much use - and abuse (I broke it's tip deburring a drilled hole - my deburring tool was a few feet away!) - it remained tight as a new one even today. Still.... the N5 with it's G10 and S35VN was a no-brainer purchase - and I love it. I looked over two of the fluted Ti N5's and decided they were collectibles, at twice the G10 N5's cost. And, less expensive isn't all - it's also lighter, thinner, and will show it's carry 'patina' faster, too. My favorite Spyderco knife, too.

Stainz

13. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Feb 27, 2010
    I have a FRN Native that I bought last time in Golden. I carried it a few times, but was always 4th or 5th to my other Spydies, so it just sat in the drawer. I pulled it out the other night looking for knives to trade or sell and am starting to really like the shape, grip etc. It seems like it would make a really good defensive blade...as it would be hard to dislodge from my hand and has a strong blade. Now I am also considering a Native 5 as my next purchase, since I prefer FFG blades.

14. Custom

Custom Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 15, 2012
    I would definitely recommend the N5, awesome ergos, and incredible f&f. The new lock design completely eliminated vertical play that most lock backs have as well

15. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    Yes buy it. Top 3-4 Spyderco for me. Buy it, use it, and find out how great a user/edc it is.

16. neffarious

neffarious Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 23, 2012
    I love it. It's a perfedct EDC. The bushing pivot makes it a smooth opening backlock.

17. Allen R.

Allen R.

Nov 1, 2011
    I have the s110v version of the N5 and its a super nice knife, If I had 2 I would use the one I have everyday, but the rarity of the knife keeps me from using it, which is a shame really, IMO the N5 is on par with the Taichung spydies. I am not a collector and have a no safe queens policy but I just can't bring myself to use the knife, now if I had the s35vn version I would use it daily.

18. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    That isn't an improved Native 5 - it's the same platform as the current knife, just dressed up with high end scales and steel. There is a new version of the Native 5 in the works also, which Spyderco is referring to as a lightweight Native 5.

19. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Guess I shouldn't believe all the marketing stuff.

Native5 represents an evolution in American knifemaking with an elegant carbon fiber handle and ultra wear resistant flat-ground CPM-110V blade.The carbon fiber handle harbors dual skeletonized liners, a full-length back spacer and a back lock.*First introduced to the knife industry decades ago, back locks have undergone many refinements and through better manufacturing techniques are among the safest and easiest locking systems to operate.*Today's American-made back-locks have better self-closing ability, smoother action, solid lock-up and ease-in push-release opening for a higher caliber of lock.Implementation of a new Bushing Pivot System on the Native5 improves the blade's open/close fluidity while the folder itself is constructed with larger-sized torx screws for simple adjustments and tightening

20. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    That reads like someone smooshed the standard Native 5 description with the S110V blade info! The Native 5 was a big change from the Native 4. :thumbup: