Should I buy a Saddleback Backpack?

I've been drooling over Saddleback leather bags for years. How many? I don't know, since I first saw a link somewhere, or the USN thread. I don't own any. They're expensive, to the point that, for the most part, it would not be impossible, but would be financially irresponsible, to spend that much on a bag, which is one of the reasons I've held off so long, but I have a little bit of money coming in soon, that would allow me to buy one if I want to. I don't need a Saddleback Backpack. My Rush12 and Rush24 meet all of my backpack needs, and with their excellent organization, they're more functional bags than the Saddleback would be. I've always thought that I could buy the Saddleback bags I want any time, which made it easy to put the purchase, and difficult purchase decision, off, indefinitely. Well, I just got an email from Saddleback that they're discontinuing the backpack, to replace it with a different model, but I like the older model better, so if I want it, I have to buy it soon. This wouldn't be impossible, bills will still get paid, etc. $582 is a whole lot of money for a backpack that is, basically, purely a luxury item. If I had bought it 3 years ago, I wouldn't still be crying about the money I'd spent, but I would still have and love the bag. And if I'm ever poor again, I can always sell it. I like and want some other Saddleback bags, but I can put those purchases off indefinitely; it's only the backpack I have to decide on now. I really want it, I don't need it, it's expensive, but I could do it, but if I'm going to do it, I have to do it now. Should I?

Now if I had the kinds of reservations like you have, I would just put it off for now. Sure I understand the old style is being discontinued and you really want it but you really don't need it it seems. Save your bucks until you can get it without reservations and regret. Spending almost $600 on a luxury item is quite a bit of money on a item you really don't need. Now if you had a bit of disposable income or you could work a second job to afford something like that without any regrets, great. I would like one but I will work on getting a large round satchel after saving up for it.

I just ordered it. If I don't want it or if I ever need the money I could sell it. I figured I'd rather buy it and regret it than not buy it and regret it, since buying it can be largely undone. I'm sure I'll love it anyway.

I just ordered it. If I don't want it or if I ever need the money I could sell it. I figured I'd rather buy it and regret it than not buy it and regret it, since buying it can be largely undone. I'm sure I'll love it anyway.

Enjoy. All the best.

Even if you don't need it, so long as you use it, you'll love it:thumbup:. Might want to take a moment to enjoy that "new leather smell":D. My wallet and briefcase already lost that smell.

Obviously it is heavier than backpacks the same size considering it's made of thick leather. But a leather backpack will last considerably longer than a nylon pack and will wear better with age.

Hopefully, we'll see some photos, & a bit of a review.

I've been considering getting one,.. but very undecided at this point...?

You can find plenty of reviews on YouTube, and hundreds of photos on Saddleback's Facebook page. I don't know what I could add that would give a significantly better picture of it than those, but I have some time off next week and am planning on going camping, so if I get some pics I'll post them here.

Yes, it's heavy. If you're weight sensitive, ultralight, or are climbing Mt. Everest, you'll want a lighter bag. For the 5-10 mile day hikes that I usually do, I think I'm strong enough to carry it.

One thing I can add, and for those of you who already own Saddleback bags you already know this, but it's not just a container for other items, to be judged only by how well it carries those objects, it's an object in itself. It is a work of art and beauty, more so than (and more expensive than) the objects it holds. As such, it upsets the hierarchy of objects/container, and it becomes the purpose for, and gives meaning to, the objects it contains, encouraging its wearer to evaluate its potential contents, asking of each one, "is this object worthy of the bag that will hold it?"

On a somewhat related note, I saw an old bible once; it was at least 100 years old, big enough to require its own podium, with a hand carved leather cover, intricate script, gold edges. I'm not a religious man, but I could almost understand, if only for a moment, how people would believe almost anything at all, that had been written in such a beautiful book.

Took it on a 5.5 mile hike through Cougar Woods at La Pine State Park on the Deschutes River here in OR:

Contrary to popular belief, it is hydration bladder compatible:

I used 2 web dominators to hold the hose to the shoulder strap.

And next to the 5.11 Rush 12 (which is a great backpack I can't recommend highly enough) for size comparison:

It easily held all that I needed it to for the hike, and could have held a lot more. It was about as comfortable as the Rush 12, and it's not even broken in yet.

I would love to hear and see what it is like after 100 miles.. I can only imagine it will get nicer to wear.

Congrats on purchasing a good bit of kit..

That squared pack is the one that is being phased out, or the simple backpack? Most of your pics aren't working, and I'd love to see em!

That squared pack is the one that is being phased out, or the simple backpack? Most of your pics aren't working, and I'd love to see em!
The pics are showing up for me in Firefox and Chrome, on both my PC and Android, and on Tapatalk. Are you still having problems seeing them? Can anyone else see them?
Mine is the now discontinued original backpack. The squared backpack is the current model which most closely resembles mine.

I think it depends on what you want the backpack for. If you want a backpack that will get noticed by everyone and compliments galore a Saddleback is the the way to go. If you're just looking for a good backpack though there are plenty of other options that are much more affordable but more importantly, better at carrying items.

Saddleback bags are bulky, clumsy, heavy as hell... but they look cool and they're built pretty well though over the years they're slipping a little bit. And this new direction for some of their leathers as wel,l is in my opinion, a bad idea.

I have four of their bags, 2 of their wallets, a desk blotter and a padfolio by them so I love to hate them and hate to love them.

I have four of their bags, 2 of their wallets, a desk blotter and a padfolio by them so I love to hate them and hate to love them.

I'd love to see pictures of the bags you have. Is there anything besides the size and weight that you don't like?

I'd love to see pictures of the bags you have. Is there anything besides the size and weight that you don't like?
I'll lay them out tomorrow for you. I have a dark coffee brown Large Duffle aka The Beast, a Standard Duffle in the The old Tobacco brown, a Large Thin Briefcase in the Tobacco Brown and an XL Classic in Chestnut.

Last edited:
I'd go for it, the new tobacco leather color is awesome

Dxq93O

Back