Should I buy a Saddleback Backpack?

Been using it as a range bag lately:
DSC00152_zpsfc6ebb66.jpg

Personally I think they're a bit heavy for a backpack.

That is one of the two reasons I am still hesitant about buying a Saddleback backpack and satchel. I love the bags but I am not sure if it will be too heavy for me once I start filling them up with my stuff. The second reason is aesthetics, I am one of those who don't really appreciate having my leather bag surface easily scratched and nicked merely just by gliding my finger nail over its surface. I know it gives it character but I want to use it for work too and a heavily scuffed leather bag does not quite exude professionalism. Anyone here ever considered Walden Bags http://www.waldenbags.com/. I had a lengthy email exchange with the owner Ed a few years back but the purchase stalled at the very last moment because he was not willing to do a customized bag for me after I had given him the blueprints. I don't blame him as I was trying to cut down on the materials to bring the weight down and bringing the cost down was not on my mind at all but I think Ed thought otherwise. Including postage, the price is nearly double a Saddleback but you will draw far more attention than using a Saddleback.

Last edited:
Four pistols (in a bag) will fit in the front slip pocket. There's easily enough room in the backpack for 10 pistol mags a few boxes of ammo in each caliber, 2 sets of eyes and ears, some tools, small targets, water bottle, PLR-22 with its ammo and four mags, 2 mag loaders, and a few other things. All loaded up like that, of course it's heavy, since all that gear (especially the ammo) would be heavy without a bag, but you need a sturdy bag to carry that much weight, preferably on two shoulders. The Saddleback backpack is comfortable when it's loaded heavily.

If you can find a Saddleback bag you want in the old carbon black color, it doesn't show scratches like the other colors (including the new carbon) do. And black leather is easy to polish to cover scratches .

You can check ebay to see what used Saddleback leather sells for, it's often 80% or so of original retail, depending on condition. You can also keep an eye on the website for Dave's Deals for the bag you want.

Four pistols (in a bag) will fit in the front slip pocket. There's easily enough room in the backpack for 10 pistol mags a few boxes of ammo in each caliber, 2 sets of eyes and ears, some tools, small targets, water bottle, PLR-22 with its ammo and four mags, 2 mag loaders, and a few other things. All loaded up like that, of course it's heavy, since all that gear (especially the ammo) would be heavy without a bag, but you need a sturdy bag to carry that much weight, preferably on two shoulders. The Saddleback backpack is comfortable when it's loaded heavily.

If you can find a Saddleback bag you want in the old carbon black color, it doesn't show scratches like the other colors (including the new carbon) do. And black leather is easy to polish to cover scratches .

You can check ebay to see what used Saddleback leather sells for, it's often 80% or so of original retail, depending on condition. You can also keep an eye on the website for Dave's Deals for the bag you want.

Many thanks for the tips. :)

I have far too many Saddleback products and have been buying them since 2010. There quality is impeccable and their customer service is second to none. I know you bought it already but if you want to sell it send me a PM. "They'll Fight Over When Your Dead!"

***Didn't realize this thread was so old haha.

Not selling mine. I took it to the range this last weekend. They pop up sometimes on ebay or Facebook if you want one. Highly recommended.

You're not just buying a backpack, you're buying high end luggage when you invest in something like this. Well done for all who have them!

Zieg

Back