Should I get a Lionspy?

Ok so I've found myself wanting to collect as many of the high quality steels as I can since I don't have an elmax blade and the Lionspy looks quite interesting to me I kind of want it, it looks like a good design but I can't find too much info on it. Does anyone out there own one or know of any faults in the design that should keep me from buying it? Just to be clear I have no intended purpose for this knife I may just throw it in the BOB and leave it there, thanks for any help you can provide.

I absolutely love mine.

Has great fit and finish and the Elmax has been holding it edge quite well. I love the blade shape and the weight is only 5.8oz which is pretty light for the knife's size.

If you like the way it looks and have money to burn, buy one.

I love mine. There were some people that had fit and finish issues blade grind being off, space between the G-10 and titanium and space between the stop pin and the G-10. Mine came perfect. There are plenty of threads and videos about peoples issues with them but it seems to be a limited few and for the most part fit and finish should be spot on. This was my first and only knife with elmax seems to be on par with S30V and S35VN, maybe a little easier to touch up/ sharpen, that opinion is based off of normal daily use.

I would pass on the lionspy. They have had some fit and finish issues. You can read about them on here and on youtube. I had a DPX Hest 2.0 folder, and it seems to me like lion steel does a better job on non-collaborations. My DPx and all kinds of problems. The lionsteel SR1 seems to be very good though. If you want a good Elmax blade, the Zero Tolerance 0560 would make a great choice. I have had one for a little while and love it. Here is a video by my friend jdavis882 on youtube. Here reviews the knife, for good and for bad. He has great knife vids and he also has a review of the ZT 0560. He is very knowledgable in knives and sharpening. Check it out:
[video=youtube;Brk7Z0cNy5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brk7Z0cNy5k[/video]
Make sure to sub to him: http://www.youtube.com/user/jdavis882?feature=watch
My youtube channel is commieforniatactical: http://www.youtube.com/user/commieforniatactical

Thanks for the help guys I'm gonna have to think on this one for a bit, I've got the money but i may decide to put it towards something else, maybe a swamp rat or busse.

I purchased a Benchmade Adamas instead because of the issues some people have reported. I still like the looks of lion spy design but I can't risk it. I am a teacher for God's sake. Everyone knows how much we make. (Actually, I teach because I am a patriot and it is the best way I can contribute to America's greatness, not the money.)

Unklfranco

I would pass on the lionspy. They have had some fit and finish issues. You can read about them on here and on youtube. I had a DPX Hest 2.0 folder, and it seems to me like lion steel does a better job on non-collaborations. My DPx and all kinds of problems. The lionsteel SR1 seems to be very good though. If you want a good Elmax blade, the Zero Tolerance 0560 would make a great choice. I have had one for a little while and love it. Here is a video by my friend jdavis882 on youtube. Here reviews the knife, for good and for bad. He has great knife vids and he also has a review of the ZT 0560. He is very knowledgable in knives and sharpening. Check it out:
[video=youtube;Brk7Z0cNy5k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brk7Z0cNy5k[/video]
Make sure to sub to him: http://www.youtube.com/user/jdavis882?feature=watch
My youtube channel is commieforniatactical: http://www.youtube.com/user/commieforniatactical

Whoa, sorry to say but some of the things he nit picks at are thigs a normal person would not even notice, found myself laughing a bit, not like this knife is a 1000+ custom, its not even in the 400 range.

I know nothing about these except that I love the name. makes me picture someone peeping on a lion in its bedroom ;P or James Bond... but a lion

It's a good knife but perhaps not the best knife for casual EDC.
The steel is a good one, and the knife generally gets good reviews. I think it's a matter of size. If you like big folders like the Striders, ZT's and that sort, you'll probably enjoy the Lionspy. You could also get that steel on the ZT 0551, which is a much smaller knife than the 560 series, although not a flipper. I have a 0550 with S35VN, and it's a nice knife, IMO.
I've watched a lot of jdavis videos, and IIRC, he had good things to say about the HEST 2.0. He personally checked a number of them at his local shop and they all had good lockup. I have a new Hest 2.0 which has good lockup, but the lock is sticky. Perhaps it'll wear in, or perhaps I'll sell it. I hate sticky locks.
Sonny

Last edited:
It's funny to hear these reports about issues. Guess I'm lucky because the 3 I have are perfect for production knife.

I don't own the knife but I'm willing to bet that at least 98% of them are perfectly fine, and that 75% of the people pushing "fit & finish" issues and "not practical" problems have never owned/used the knife.

The great thing about the internet is that there is endless information, but at the same time you have no way to see if you are talking to a 14 year old kid, a stubborn old man, or a 20-something adult that is essentially a self proclaimed internet knife ninja.

I say get the knife, give it a week, and if you don't like it then return it and get something else. If there is anything that I've learned collecting for the (relatively) short time that I have it's that your opinion will not always jive with the community. Unless there are serious issues continuously brought up follow your gut.

A lot of the fit and finish issues you hear about with the lionspy are just people regurgitating reviews and info they hear from a friend or on these forums, not from personal experience :).

Ok so I've found myself wanting to collect as many of the high quality steels as I can since I don't have an elmax blade and the Lionspy looks quite interesting to me I kind of want it, it looks like a good design but I can't find too much info on it. Does anyone out there own one or know of any faults in the design that should keep me from buying it? Just to be clear I have no intended purpose for this knife I may just throw it in the BOB and leave it there, thanks for any help you can provide.

If you are going to "...just throw it in the BOB and leave it there..." then who cares about design flaws? You don't intend to use it, it's got the steel you want, that's all you care about...so get it! :thumbup:

If you are going to "...just throw it in the BOB and leave it there..." then who cares about design flaws? You don't intend to use it, it's got the steel you want, that's all you care about...so get it! :thumbup:

:thumbup: I agree, although the Lionspy has this feel that just begs to be used. If I were you I'd have a smaller fixed blade to throw in you're BOB, and EDC the hell outa the Lionspy :D

The steel isn't all I care about I want a good knife even if I don't use it I expect to get what I pay for. I mostly edc my subrosa because I wear basketball shorts at work, with keys phone and knife its about at its weight limit. If I wear pants I'll carry my Gayle bradely along with my subrosa. So I really don't need the lionspy for an edc I just want it, but I think I will get it at some point if not now.

The steel isn't all I care about I want a good knife even if I don't use it I expect to get what I pay for. I mostly edc my subrosa because I wear basketball shorts at work, with keys phone and knife its about at its weight limit. If I wear pants I'll carry my Gayle bradely along with my subrosa. So I really don't need the lionspy for an edc I just want it, but I think I will get it at some point if not now.

I'm looking at buying the Subrosa for my next Benchmade, how do you like it? It seems like the perfect EDC because of its light weight and large blade.

I don't own the knife but I'm willing to bet that at least 98% of them are perfectly fine, and that 75% of the people pushing "fit & finish" issues and "not practical" problems have never owned/used the knife.

The great thing about the internet is that there is endless information, but at the same time you have no way to see if you are talking to a 14 year old kid, a stubborn old man, or a 20-something adult that is essentially a self proclaimed internet knife ninja.

I say get the knife, give it a week, and if you don't like it then return it and get something else. If there is anything that I've learned collecting for the (relatively) short time that I have it's that your opinion will not always jive with the community. Unless there are serious issues continuously brought up follow your gut.

Ahha! My friend, you have discovered the secret of said knife reviews!!:thumbup::D

Back