• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Should It Stay or Should It Go?

Just so we are clear here, DLT does not send out used items. A crack on the handle, while common on these, is not something you want out of the box. We ship too much volume to inspect items without a request, so we are forced to rely on manufacturers QC. Ribbonz Ribbonz - please send an email to info@dlttrading.com so we can assist you here.

And there you go. On point, DLT. :thumbsup:

So, Jordan@DLT Jordan@DLT , just for the sake of clarification, DLT does not require the customer to pay for return shipping on a defective but otherwise unused item?

Never mind, Jordan@DLT Jordan@DLT . Checked on your site (probably should have just done that to begin with) and found the answer to my question. Return shipping costs for defective but unused items purchased through DLT are not reimbursed. Again, for me personally, that policy seems neither fair nor reasonable and would preclude any interest I might have in purchasing merchandise through DLT. Looks to me like your existing return policy is basically designed to remove DLT from having any responsibility for the merchandise it sells and ships. (standard disclaimer: YMMV/just my 2 cents)

"Return Shipping Fees
DLT Trading does not pay return shipping fees for any reason other than if we sent you the wrong item. If you decide that the knife you purchased is not for you, the wrong color/size or if you feel there are quality issues such as: the blade is not centered, the grinds are off, the finish is not what I wanted you pay the cost to ship back to DLT Trading, not us.

Further, all warranty issues and claims will be handled between you the buyer and the manufacturer, not us. Any costs with shipping back to the manufacturer are 100% your cost and will not be borne by DLT Trading without exception. If you have a specific request (example is the blade centered, how does the handle look) contact us prior to ordering and we’ll be pleased to assist you."

Just so we are clear here, DLT does not send out used items. A crack on the handle, while common on these, is not something you want out of the box. We ship too much volume to inspect items without a request, so we are forced to rely on manufacturers QC. Ribbonz Ribbonz - please send an email to info@dlttrading.com so we can assist you here.
I’ll send an email, but I won’t return it if I have to pay shipping myself.

Never mind, Jordan@DLT Jordan@DLT . Checked on your site (probably should have just done that to begin with) and found the answer to my question. Return shipping costs for defective but unused items purchased through DLT are not reimbursed. Again, for me personally, that policy seems neither fair nor reasonable and would preclude any interest I might have in purchasing merchandise through DLT. Looks to me like your existing return policy is basically designed to remove DLT from having any responsibility for the merchandise it sells and ships. (standard disclaimer: YMMV/just my 2 cents)

"Return Shipping Fees
DLT Trading does not pay return shipping fees for any reason other than if we sent you the wrong item. If you decide that the knife you purchased is not for you, the wrong color/size or if you feel there are quality issues such as: the blade is not centered, the grinds are off, the finish is not what I wanted you pay the cost to ship back to DLT Trading, not us.

Further, all warranty issues and claims will be handled between you the buyer and the manufacturer, not us. Any costs with shipping back to the manufacturer are 100% your cost and will not be borne by DLT Trading without exception. If you have a specific request (example is the blade centered, how does the handle look) contact us prior to ordering and we’ll be pleased to assist you."

We have to have a firm policy in place to discourage both being used as a knife library or play the "exchange several times until I find the perfect example" game. Returns are very expensive (and for me in particular) extremely time consuming. They are obviously unavoidable in some circumstances, but its better for everyone if people don't go into a purchase planning to return or exchange it. The reality is that we do evaluate everything on a case by case basis, we aren't going to send a label for something that is .5 mm off center, but if a knife arrives with a true defect, we aren't going to be unreasonable about it.

. . . The reality is that we do evaluate everything on a case by case basis, we aren't going to send a label for something that is .5 mm off center, but if a knife arrives with a true defect, we aren't going to be unreasonable about it.

Appreciate the response Jordan@DLT Jordan@DLT . I had hoped that might be the case but, on it's face, the language used on your site doesn't leave much wiggle room: "DLT Trading does not pay return shipping fees for any reason other than if we sent you the wrong item."

I do a lot of internet shopping and I don't recall ever seeing a return policy that basically states that the vendor will not reimburse return shipping costs if/when a customer receives and returns a defective item. Just sayin'. While I'm glad to hear DLT is willing to make case-by-case accommodations, I'm not sure how prospective customers are supposed to know that when deciding whether or not to make a purchase through DLT.

Just a thought but have you ever considered including additional language along the lines of the above quote in your stated policy? Might give potential customers more confidence when deciding which knife seller to do business with. Regardless, thanks for the clarification and best of luck.

Appreciate the response Jordan@DLT Jordan@DLT . I had hoped that might be the case but, on it's face, the language used on your site doesn't leave much wiggle room: "DLT Trading does not pay return shipping fees for any reason other than if we sent you the wrong item."

I do a lot of internet shopping and I don't recall ever seeing a return policy that basically states that the vendor will not reimburse return shipping costs if/when a customer receives and returns a defective item. Just sayin'. While I'm glad to hear DLT is willing to make case-by-case accommodations, I'm not sure how prospective customers are supposed to know that when deciding whether or not to make a purchase through DLT.

Just a thought but have you ever considered including additional language along the lines of the above quote in your stated policy? Might give potential customers more confidence when deciding which knife seller to do business with. Regardless, thanks for the clarification and best of luck.

Your post made me curious, I re-checked through the return policies of all the other knife dealers I could think of, in my personal opinion our policy is on par or more friendly than most other dealers. Some dealers charge a restock fee on all returns, some provide a label for returns but take the cost out of your refund, some dealers charge for shipping on exchanges, etc. All we say that is potentially a turn off (in my opinion) is that we don't provide labels and if you return habitually we will be forced to charge a restock fee. We also only charge the actual cost of our shipping on refunds with free shipping, not a flat $10 or similar that some dealers charge, we also don't charge for shipping out an exchange.

Our language could probably be friendlier, I give you that. But unfortunately there are some people who live by the idea of, take a mile when given an inch, and any wiggle room in the stated policy will be exploited for everything its possibly worth. In reality we very infrequently charge a restock fee or refuse a return, and those are in extreme cases. I had to refuse a return yesterday because it came back with a significant amount of blood on the handle, but that is one of 3 returns I have ever refused in the almost 4 years I have been here processing returns. I will definitely bring your suggestions to our owner regarding the language in our stated policy, we always genuinely appreciate feedback like this.

I had a crack like that on my large, black Case SS Sodbuster. It stretched from pin to spring eventually, but after 55 years is probably too late to take it back. Besides the hardware store where I bought it closed in 1991. I know the crack is there although I can't feel it.

Last edited:
I had to refuse a return yesterday because it came back with a significant amount of blood on the handle
What was the reason for the return? "I cut myself and now there's blood on the handle."?
I've bought several knives from you guys, and your response here has just ensured further that I'll be returning as a customer.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I got a Roselli "Hunter" real cheap because the original owner was intimidated by how sharp it was. Heimo does make wicked sharp knives.

What was the reason for the return? "I cut myself and now there's blood on the handle."?
I've bought several knives from you guys, and your response here has just ensured further that I'll be returning as a customer.

Edited for spelling

His reason was that he didn't like it basically. I suspect his dislike began after it bit him however.

Back