1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Should PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales?

Discussion in 'Tech Support, General Q&A, Site Feedback & More' started by markksr, Aug 8, 2013.

Should the PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales here at Bladeforums?

1. Yes, continue to allow it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, there should be a rule against it.

100.0%
  1. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
    Yes or No?

What say you?

2. coaltrain

coaltrain

Jul 11, 2013
  3. markksr

markksr

Mar 15, 2007
  4. coaltrain

coaltrain

Jul 11, 2013
    vote added.

5. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    Ban it.

Not because it violates PayPal's rules -- we aren't responsible for enforcing any outside business's rules.

But because it leads too many of our own new people to fall into the trap, and they end up without the protection they thought they were still getting.

6. patyouknow

patyouknow

Dec 11, 2012
    i like selling and buying using the "goods" option. and the price i ask is the paypaled price, no add 3-4% stuff people ask.

i personally would never buy a knife over say $100 using the gift option. everyone ive ever dealt with on here has been really great but its nice having the extra protection!

ive been screwed in the past before over some (expensive) car parts using paypal. and it was a "reputable" company.

BUT with that said i do not think there should be a rule against it. plus there really wouldnt be a way for mods to enforce it being you could discuss using the "gift" option through PM's and they cant see your personal paypal account.

7. coaltrain

coaltrain

Jul 11, 2013
    Yeah, it's kind of hard for the forum to ban such things, but it was done in another forum I frequent that is very similar in size and scope of BladeForums. It was simply put in the rules for posting items for sale, then if the mods caught it, the sale ad would be deleted.

I won't go into my rant like I did in the other thread, but my position is a seller should not ask for the gift option, and certainly not ask the buyer to pay his/her seller PayPal fees.

8. Zidfeldts

Zidfeldts

Dec 28, 2010
    Sellers not adding fees into their asking price should be banned as well. I refrain as much as possible from anyone who wants 3 or 4% to cover their fees.

9. RUNIT

RUNIT

Mar 26, 2011
    Why not allow it? It should be a personal choice, buyer beware.

10. patyouknow

patyouknow

Dec 11, 2012
    now this is actually a good point i didnt think of when writing my response above.

11. liamstrain

liamstrain

Jan 16, 2013
    I just set my price to one I am comfortable with, including that 3%. No reason to mention it specifically. No reason to punish a seller for the sake of a bargain.

12. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    It should be at the option of the buyer, they can decide if they trust someone enough to use it. HOWEVER, the baloney about gift or add 3-4% needs to go.

13. HwangJino

HwangJino

Dec 2, 2012
    Never understood that 3% either.

just give me a total price and let me pay it right?

14. riz_aaroni

riz_aaroni Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2007
    The 2.9%+$0.30 fee is a few buckeros normally and avoids any issue with Paypal. Would be nice if they only accepted Paypal to include the amount in the price and use the correct rate. I swear I've seen 4%, which on a $$$$ knife adds up.

Though when it comes down to it, it should be up to the buyer/seller. Better disclosure and communication are key here.

+1 to that.

15. Esav Benyamin

Esav Benyamin MidniteSuperMod

Apr 6, 2000
    It should be up to the buyer and seller. But too many people don't realize they lose protection by "saving" the seller that few bucks. Also, they may want the knife so bad they go along with the terms.

All a waste of attention span. How much do you want for the knife? Add in $8 for shipping, add in $4 for PayPal. Quote the total to the buyer "to your door". Simple. Pay the man, enjoy your new knife.

16. Tim20637

Tim20637

Jan 10, 2010
    Exactly.

17. FLymon

FLymon Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2006
    That's so crazy it just might work! ;):rolleyes:

18. DaggerBlade

DaggerBlade Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2003
    I agree. A lot of people don't realize what they give when they use PayPal gift.

19. El Bandit0

El Bandit0

Feb 4, 2013
    Let it be.
    I believe that my feedback, and that of others, speaks for itself. If you choose to refuse to do business with me or others due to my payment method, that is your choice. I would not want to be told how I can accept payment for items I choose to sell.

20. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Dazed and Confused Platinum Member

May 3, 2011
    Agreed, right here. I think buyers should make informed decisions and have explained it to several who were deciding how they were going to pay me for something. I like it when they know all the pros and cons of both options. I'd prefer BF didn't make rules, but will abide if they do.