Should PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales?

Should the PayPal Gift Option be permitted for sales here at Bladeforums?

• Yes, continue to allow it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
if you gift you have no rights for a refund if the deal goes bad. if you are gift it then you might be buying something that is against the rules like switchblades that they don't want there Service to be used for. if you cant afford to pay the %4 fee then you didn't need the item that you where buying.

I'm going to disagree with this, because it can be used for money orders, too. I say that in my sales threads, and I'll take a MO at the net to me price. I do also accept pp gift, it the person chooses, and regular pp if the buyer wants to pay the fees.

Adding the fees in would be easier for everyone. Not doing so is seen a lazy and greedy by most, and can be the difference between a person buying or passing on the item. You should be eating your own paypal fees if you are willing to accept it, not passing them onto the buyer. Asking for a MO is fine at the "Net Price", but the act of asking others to pay your (generally speaking) fees is pissing off enough people for this to start becoming a major issue.

I'm going to disagree with this, because it can be used for money orders, too. I say that in my sales threads, and I'll take a MO at the net to me price. I do also accept pp gift, it the person chooses, and regular pp if the buyer wants to pay the fees.

I consider a money order as already being net to you because there is no fee on your end to receive that payment. The buyer pays a small fee for the MO when they purchase it. You lose nothing out of the face value to cash it or deposit it as the seller. Taking a money order does require you to go the the PO or the bank and that is not always convenient, particularly compared to just giving your address and then receiving an email saying "you've got money from John Doe." However, if you're willing to accept an MO then the time it takes to handle that payment should already be factored in or viewed as part of the cost of doing business, same as a Paypal fee.

Adding the fees in would be easier for everyone. Not doing so is seen a lazy and greedy by most, and can be the difference between a person buying or passing on the item. You should be eating your own paypal fees if you are willing to accept it, not passing them onto the buyer. Asking for a MO is fine at the "Net Price", but the act of asking others to pay your (generally speaking) fees is pissing off enough people for this to start becoming a major issue.

I understand that this is a divisive issue. There's always going to be some who won't deal with others who do their business differently, and I understand that. I have certain dealbreakers myself. For example, if I've ever seen you refuse to ship to anyone at an APO/FPO unless it's fragile or illegal, I won't buy from you even though I'm Stateside. I think we all need to draw our own lines in the sand and do our sales in a way that we can live with and is honest and fair. I'm OK with someone passing on dealing with me for this or any other reason.

Last edited:
I consider a money order as already being net to you because there is no fee on your end to receive that payment. The buyer pays a small fee for the MO when they purchase it. You lose nothing out of the face value to cash it or deposit it as the seller. Taking a money order does require you to go the the PO or the bank and that is not always convenient, particularly compared to just giving your address and then receiving an email saying "you've got money from John Doe." However, if you're willing to accept an MO then the time it takes to handle that payment should already be factored in or viewed as part of the cost of doing business, same as a Paypal fee.

Yes, it is. Saying 'net to me' lets the buyer know they'll pay a lower price if they choose to use a MO. Hopefully they're also aware that they're giving up protection if something goes wrong, just like if they'd used pp gift.

You can toss shoulds at me, I respect that you have a different opinion and won't throw a should back at you. I just accept that I probably won't sell you a knife, and respect your right to make that choice too.

Was going to put my 2 cents worth in here but it is not worth the chance of another year of probation and 10 more points.!
But I will say ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I don't buy from ""anybody"" who ask for ""GIFT"" option.!! { Free "World" - you can.!!!! }

Was going to put my 2 cents worth in here but it is not worth the chance of another year of probation and 10 more points.!
But I will say ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I don't buy from ""anybody"" who ask for ""GIFT"" option.!! { Free "World" - you can.!!!! }

Point taken. :thumbup:

Just passed on a used knife here from a builder I've always wanted because of the "net to me" language. They want Paypal but expect me to cover their fees or help them rip off Paypal for a service and terms we've both agreed to in order to use that service.

I had a survey on another forum asking what people tended to do when they saw the word "GIFT" in a sales add and more than 50% of potential buyers wouldn't even bother to contact the seller. There was another large percentage that may consider contacting the seller but still wouldn't buy if gift or them covering the fees as the buyer was required.

Funny thing is that these sellers sit on their adds and complain about lack of sales. Maybe they don't want to understand it.

Gift option should not be allowed. It is plainly against the ToS of PayPal, and using it sacrifices the protection. I can see using it if you know the person well, but otherwise you need to use standard PayPal. Too many people have been burned by (ex)members here who have been long time and active members with plenty of feedback as of late to make the risk worth it.

Will this do any good is my question . I already voted no gift use by anybody I have never asked anyone to pay me by gift but there has been a few people who did it anyway gonna make it clear that I will take care of the fees .

Will this do any good is my question . I already voted no gift use by anybody I have never asked anyone to pay me by gift but there has been a few people who did it anyway gonna make it clear that I will take care of the fees .
Don't know what difference it will make, but RevDev made this suggestion regarding the subject in another thread...
Start a thread in tech support. If it garners enough support, it could be made into a rule. You never know.
...so here we are. I felt the poll might keep it simple for those who choose not to get involved in the debate.

Only time will tell. Spark doesn't hang out here 24/7, so when he does roll through this is where he reads first.

Don't know what difference it will make, but RevDev made this suggestion regarding the subject in another thread...

...so here we are. I felt the poll might keep it simple for those who choose not to get involved in the debate.

Exactly. This is the best way to gauge interest. Also this is the correct place to discuss such things.

I voted no.
More than once when I've bought a knife and the seller included the fees in the asking price, I went ahead and added a few dollars to the cost just to show my appreciation.

I don't think it should be allowed to be advertised on a post. Using the gift option for a sale is using a service without paying for it, period. I don't believe a website should endorse or allow what is in a sense thievery. Not to mention, it's there for a reason... it protects both the buyer and seller. All such fees should be included in whatever price is listed. On shipping, while I prefer it being included in the price, I can understand separating it due to varied costs and multiple items being shipped together.

If people have a trusting history want to work out a "discount" or whatever for using a gift option behind closed doors, they can go right ahead. Much like if a person makes a living selling knives and doesn't pay taxes on the income, that wouldn't be the site's issue at that point.

Besides, I know when I see "$$$ +3%," I get a sense that the seller is someone who nickle and dimes for everything... I don't like dealing with people that nickle and dime for everything.

Just to add a bit about the relationship of the seller asking for PayPal fees and shipping cost.

Let's say I am on the east coast in Pennsylvania, and I sell something where I am including free Priority Mail shipping to anywhere in the US. If the buyer in close by in a nearby state vs. across the country say in California, the shipping rate is almost double. So I offer free shipping which could range from $5.00 to $10.00 which I am eating to cost of. But these people are more worried about the 2.9% PayPal fee?

The shipping cost isn't the topic of this discussion though, it's the fact thwt people are asking for "gift" left and right. This then leaves the buyer with no protection should the seller decide to do other things aside from shipping the item being sold. Besides, I don't know how or what you would be shipping, but last zi checked, the USPS Priority Flat Rate box costs the same shipping from any state to any state, provided the item fits inside the box. Your commend reads almost like an Algebra word problem.

I don't think it should be allowed to be advertised on a post. Using the gift option for a sale is using a service without paying for it, period. I don't believe a website should endorse or allow what is in a sense thievery. Not to mention, it's there for a reason... it protects both the buyer and seller. All such fees should be included in whatever price is listed. On shipping, while I prefer it being included in the price, I can understand separating it due to varied costs and multiple items being shipped together.

If people have a trusting history want to work out a "discount" or whatever for using a gift option behind closed doors, they can go right ahead. Much like if a person makes a living selling knives and doesn't pay taxes on the income, that wouldn't be the site's issue at that point.

Besides, I know when I see "$$$ +3%," I get a sense that the seller is someone who nickle and dimes for everything... I don't like dealing with people that nickle and dime for everything.

This is my opinion as well. I feel like banning mentioning the Gift option or +3% in threads would help discourage the practice. If two people want to negotiate a deal over email or phone, have at it, but it doesn't belong here. I could sound like a broken record of what Weebus posted, but (in my opinion) he's spot on. It seems like PayPal's ToS are intentionally being violated with that. If someone wants to sell the Super Cutter Deluxe 9000, mark up the price before posting, and I think at most the buyer should only have to cover an additional 1.5%. And I feel the same as above about shipping.

The issue that comes to mind about the gas station situation is that I've never heard of both parties involved in the transactions having to agree to a percentage being taken out of the seller's cut. This is straight from PayPal's website, and while I personally have never received money through the service, I think it's pretty straight forward...
Sellers may not charge a surcharge for accepting PayPal as a payment method

Last edited:
I voted no because using the gift option for goods is not honest, it leaves the buyer without protection and the absence of a rule preventing it is detrimental to the good reputation of this forum.

Back