Show Me Some Resurrected Knives

I thought it would be good to start a new thread and ask for y'all to show any of the repaired or restored knives you have saved from the dreadful underworld of broken knives...

I finally got around to resurrecting the Remington. I used the hundred+ year old oak for the new scale, and formed what I think is a sheepsfoot blade out of the broken pen blade. I have applied three coats of linseed oil on the oak over two days now. You can definitely see the grains because it isn't as fine as other woods that I didn't have at my disposal already, but I like the two-tone natural color. I decided to keep the bone scale because I've only one other knife with bone on it, seemed a shame to toss it away.

BEFORE

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

AFTER

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

It's all sharpened up, and I've already cut some FOOD and haystrings with it - cuts it like hot butter. This Remington carbon steel is great, just like my USA Schrade 1095.

I started low, now let's see some of yours.

Last edited:
Nice job. That knife has a new life all over!
I have a few old imperials and Schrades that were all rusted and dull. I have oiled, cleaned and sharpened them up and they all work so well. Even a busted blade on the Shrade stockman is pretty sharp even though it is snapped in half.

Here are some pictures of a Frontier folding hunter that I got off the bay.

Before
100-4442.JPG

100-4443.JPG

100-4444.JPG

After
100-4447.JPG

100-4448.JPG

100-4449.JPG

My grandfather's old serpintine jack had very dark and scratched bolsters when I recieved it and nearly no edge. I wish now I would have taken before pictures. My nephew has this fine old Case now.
014.jpg

015.jpg

More cleanup than restoration but ....
This Okapi girl guide penknife is my sisters its from the 70s and presumed lost. I tracked down a replacement for her last year as a birthday present. Got pretty much the exact same knife except with Bushman emblazoned on it instead of Girl guide.
I cleaned it up and she was pretty stoked with it (she is not easy to buy for).
Last week I was visiting and she handed me the original. Its been sitting in drawer or at the bottom of a box for many years.
look at how the rust has only affected the exposed areas of the blades . The parts hidden away when closed were fine.
Does anyone know anything about Okapi knives or what the steel is -not stainless obviously.
cheers.
jonmeakin
[/URL][/IMG]
jonmeakin
[/URL][/IMG]

I thought it would be good to start a new thread and ask for y'all to show any of the repaired or restored knives you have saved from the dreadful underworld of broken knives...

I finally got around to resurrecting the Remington. I used the hundred+ year old oak for the new scale, and formed what I think is a sheepsfoot blade out of the broken pen blade. I have applied three coats of linseed oil on the oak over two days now. You can definitely see the grains because it isn't as fine as other woods that I didn't have at my disposal already, but I like the two-tone natural color. I decided to keep the bone scale because I've only one other knife with bone on it, seemed a shame to toss it away.

BEFORE

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4032.jpg

AFTER

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4084.jpg

IMG_4088.jpg

It's all sharpened up, and I've already cut some FOOD and haystrings with it - cuts it like hot butter. This Remington carbon steel is great, just like my USA Schrade 1095.

I started low, now let's see some of yours.

Looks awesome.

I love seein these old warhorses back in action instead of put out to pasture. Really like the Frontier and Okapi, sorry I don't know much about those. Of course, the Case just looks better with age and +100 for the family history.

So really, edbeau, that Frontier hunter backspring is really shining. Notice that I didn't take a picture of MY backspring because it's still pretty rough. What did you do to get it to gleam like that?

Very nice scales, cubegleamer, is that a 501 custom?? I'm thinking about picking up my first one soon.

It's called the Ultima I. It has South Pacific pearl shell scales. My dad broke a scale in the early 80's and it's been sitting in a sock drawer ever since. Buck's CS was A+ with me.

GLDND, I use various grits of sandpaper that I lay on a piece of denim on a table. I start off with a piece of 100 grit and work up to a piece of worn out 400 grit. It does take a while but it is fun to see the knife come back.

a 4 bladed Dunlap cattle knife that was my grandads, it originally had celluloid scales that had curled and basically just rotted off. And a big carbon steel Tramontina Bowie i bought at a fleamarket when i was 15, snuck the thing home in my jean jacket! praying that my mom wasnt gonna kill me when she found out:D originally it had a cheep hollow stag looking handle.
both of these where redone with blood wood, not too shabby for my firsts! the bowie was a nightmare, the slipjoint was fun and i plan on trying another eventually.
I use the bowie all the time for yard work, etc. The dunlap i carry once in awhile, gets scary sharp but has a little wiggle and a lazy snap on the main.
regards
gene
l_9e2a66290ae23280cbb5f856ca640e6f.jpg

dunlap.jpg

100_0779.jpg

Last edited:
I really like how the Remington in the original post turned out. I have a soft spot for ol' Remingtons. I'm glad you kept the unbroken bone slab on.
Adding the old oak to it really made it special! Nice job!

that camillus fishermans luck is actually the one of mine i may do in the future, too cool
good job
gene

Here is a recent Frontier I got of the bay. The blades are pitted and I could only remove the rust.

Before
100-4942.JPG

100-4943.JPG

After
100-4956.JPG

100-4957.JPG

Back