Show me your Blackwoods!

He's a great guy to deal with as long as your NOT waiting for a Stellite knife from him

:D

No problems here. Just keep up the communication, keep growing and I have no problem waiting.

Man, that's just sweet. A dress model would be great too. Man, lets see, you live 2 hours from me.... How long would I have to sweep the shop floor for to get one :)

Seriously Neil, thats a great looking folder and it has one of the best blade profiles I've seen in a long time. Keep it up, demand is on the rise.

The sweeping offer still stands though.

Looks really nice Neil.., I love the very subtle recurve.., great overall flow in the design. Did anyone mention to weight of the folder??? Thanks for posting the pictures...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Dennis,
How bout this one??

My new Melee model!! 9 1/4" OAL, 4 1/2" blade, 5/32" 6K, black/green/grey G10, mosaic pins.
melee5.jpg

The background looks better than the knife in this scan :( Santa IS bringing me a digital camera, THANK GOD :)

Here is a closeup that shows the color of the materials a little better.

meleecu.jpg

My goal is to make this model the "MINI MELEE" after a while. I have two larger versions WITH GUARDS in the works!!

Gus,
Your patience is MUCH appreciated. The next Stellite knife I finish is YOURS.

BaliLover,
You are welcome ANY time, let's get together?? I have elves come in at night to clean the shop though:) Sometimes they cut blade blanks for me also!!

Back to the folder.....

Thanks for the feedback and kind words. It is somewhat heavy. When I take it apart to fit the other handle material some weight will be removed. The wood will also be lighter than the G10. It really isn't that bad to carry but it does draw attention when it's opened ;)

:eek: Awesome! :eek:

Neil, as soon as I get to Florida, I'll make sure to get in touch with you. I've been admiring your creations from a distance for far too long! :D

Leo

Great pics, great designs. Now I really want a Blackwood folder...

Andrew Limsk

That melee fighter is awsome, and you're going to make bigger ones with guards?? Now you're just being unreasonable... I just don't have enough money to buy all of you're cool stuff.

I think I need a bib to keep from gumming up my keyboard with drool.

Zzzen_Dog

background looks better than the knife?!? you've got to be kidding me. really though you do some great work, if i get some money i could see myself ordering a fixed blade from you. those blade shapes!

Pete

Neil,
The folder is AWESOME!
BTW, your stellite river knife is about to take a trip to the Antarctic circle for a little kayaking workout! I can't think of another knife I'd rather use for that purpose.

There was something about that knife, I couldn't put it down. I HAVE make one of them for myself :D Probably in D2 though.....

Thanks guys for your support both here and via the many recent Emails. I appreciate it!! It's twelve + hour days in the shop from now 'til Christmas Eve. I'm just one BIG knife makin' elf :rolleyes:

Howard,

Have a safe trip, I want to hear about it when you return. ALSO!!! How about a picture of that knife north of the arctic circle?? That will be one for the website FOR SURE !!!! THANKS in advance;)

Neil

This one is not mine but I did have the luxury of having it my shop for a short time while I made a few sheaths for the owner.

It's a Talonite (or Stellite, can't remember..) menium hunter I believe. Had a great tapered tang with a Red liner.

This baby was nice, almost didn't want to give it back :)

Hey Neil, I'll start making sheaths again just for you if you'll hand over that folder :) Hell, I'll even make the first 3 for free!

Chad,

That's not just and early Medium Hunter, it's one of my first Talonite knives. I don't grind the plunge area like that anymore. It works nice for field dressing but most people didn't like it. My own Hunter is ground that way in GOOD ole O1 :) Rust, stains and all!!
Thanks for the memories !!!!!

Neil

This is my latest Blackwood purchase :D A small hunter. Check out the handle material and that mean filework. :eek:

Maybe Neil can chime in and give the specs on it?

Attachments

• smallhunter.jpg
    smallhunter.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,330
All I know is this wood is MAPLE. It came from a BIG block that I got from a guy in Washington. It's not regular burl, it's from where the burl was attached to a crotch section of the tree. It also was in the early stages of decay, so it has some spalted characteristics to it!! That's what the blackline is, runing through the lanyard hole.

The knife is my Small Hunter model in 5/32" D2 with a tapered tang. It measures 7 3/4" OAL with a 3 1/4" (sharpened) blade. Under the stabilized wood is blue spacers.

Thanks for posting the pic Dennis!

Neil

This will be my third Blackwood, but not my last. ;) In case anyone hasn't noticed Neil is my favorite fixed blade maker. He could quickly become my favorite folder maker if he would ever get on the ball. ;) I can't say enough good about his knives. They embody beauty and function. Every knife I have seen of his is a work of art. Now I need to decide what my next Blackwood should be.

WOOOOOOOOO!!!!! thanks Neil!!

here's a pic Neil emailed me:

Attachments

• nnhd11.jpg
    nnhd11.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 614
Back