Show me your phenolics! Bussekin micarta appreciation thread? Special handle appreciation? ok go...

hookahhabib

Gold Member
I'm hoping this works out better than that one time I yelled "show me your phenolics!" at a Mardi Gras party years ago :facepalm:

Show me your rare, unusual, hard-to-find, cool looking, [insert your adjective of choice here] Bussekin micarta! I want to see it all!

I am a bit of a micarta fetishist. I know there are some of you out there.

The only thing more exciting to me than an INFI blade is an INFI blade attached to a great handle.

In my almost 20 years of being obsessed with quality knives, I've enjoyed lots of different stuff. As as think back and remember past knives, and even today as I continue to chase them, the handles attached to blades coming from Jerry and everyone at the team in Wauseon continue to be some of the best ones I've enjoyed. Both in feel and function as well as appearance. Busse continues to reign supreme when it comes to unusual and interesting micarta.

Ever since first seeing some of the amazing micarta scales on Busse knives when my lurking started (about 2009 IIRC), I have had a fascination for unconventional micartas. I've seen some cool patterns from certain makers of the material and it can get while....still doesn't touch what I've seen from old Busse classics.

The tigerhide, the snake skin, the green linen, the 2-colored stuff on the competition finish BWMs from Cupidganzaaa 2011 (or maybe it was the ganzaa after it?), the super fine thread tigeride linen on the SFNO LEs (and also FBM LEs?), and well you know the list goes on...and they're pretty much all beautiful, eye catching, and great feeling materials. The "grain" patterns that come about with handle shaping add one more layer of visual stimulation that continues to fascinate me.

Unfortunately my collection is painfully small these days, for now at least, but I'll start by contributing what I can here...

Here's some classic black canvas that kinda looks greenish gray (from age I think?) on my BAD:

That last pic I took to appreciate the thINFI, but it's interesting to me that the fibers appear to be light gray and perhaps it's the resin itself giving the black color - something I've wondered about for years now actually.

Not 100% sure what this is since the colors are slightly different from what I remember the OG green linen looking like. I dig it though:

I'm so over the top smitten with them both.

I'd love to see some what other interesting handles and micarta lives among us here...

That sure is some cool looking micarta on that little Bowie! I have to agree that my two favorite micarta handles are on a couple of my older knives. Both black micarta. One on a TGLB and the other on my bad. The TGLB is the darkest micarta I have and I love it. Probably my overall favorite knife. The micarta on my BAD has darkened with use. I use it as my steak knife. It gets lots of fat rubbed into it. Great thread topic! View attachment 1336184View attachment 1336185 View attachment 1336183

YES! I get to use this photo twice in one month lol. I too am a micartaholic. I’ve always wanted a trifecta of discontinued micarta flavors. These 3 Mistresses showcase those flavors very well. From top to bottom: red/blue g10 (odd man out), green linen micarta, tigerhide canvas micarta, and snakeskin micarta (or nucarta for you old timers :p).

27cb574a-953d-471a-8473-45a271143962-jpeg.1337334

Attachments

• 27CB574A-953D-471A-8473-45A271143962.jpeg
    27CB574A-953D-471A-8473-45A271143962.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 427
Last edited:
Those both look really nice JACKMANDU JACKMANDU --- My BAD is still pretty new to me, but it looks like we got twins. I appreciate the preview of what mine will end up looking like (currently seeking a sheath so I can carry it around better)

YES! I get to use this photo twice in one month lol. I too am a micartaholic. I’ve always wanted a trifecta of discontinued micarta flavors. These 3 Mistresses showcase those flavors very well. From top to bottom: red/blue g10 (odd man out), green linen micarta, tigerhide canvas micarta, and snakeskin micarta (or nucarta for you old timers :p).

16bf6987-bfe3-4d46-8947-d1224a990978-jpeg.1326743

Ahhh!!!! your pic link isn't working...tease! But based on your description, I LOVE this pic already and now I really want to see it :lol:

Both of these Nano Fusions have black canvas micarta slabs, believe it or not :)...

I guess the handles of the NuNFSH got burnished during the perimeter Nuke process <I'm guessing>...but whatever happened, I love it. :D

The extra light black canvas combined with the extra crispy edges makes for a striking contrast! :cool:

qi1xWeR.jpg

JrhobPw.jpg

4MSOnBY.jpg

PeteyTwoPointOne PeteyTwoPointOne - those are some lookers right there! Both of the micartas looks really nice: the way the light gray high points of the milling patterns on the Nano Fusion handle against the much darker lower points looks really good to my eyes. And also, he contrast effect of those jet-black sides against that bright (bead blasted?) micarta on the face of the handle slabs is a great looking mix.

That highlights one of the coolest things about micarta: the way it changes and darkens with use. It gives a smaller dose of that same warm & fuzzy satisfaction that you get from letting natural patina develop on a carbon steel knife as you go through ita

Nuter Nuter !!! a huge congratulations to you on that awesome AD! That AD is almost exactly what I was looking for before finally settling on my current, beloved BAD.

That AD looks to be lightly skinnier than normal AD. Between that nice looking grind, the DCBB perfect blade finish, and those sexy micarta slabs all add up to what I'm guessing must be a fantastic AD keeper for you, right? Some are just too special to let go of and that AD definitely looks like one. I love love love that OG green linen from the earlier years.

Thanks for playing along guys - already enjoying the responses so let's see what other cool stuff finds its way in here

My AD became quite quickly very popular among Busse community ;) and I've already received offers with help for the right disposal :cool: but I like it a lot, it was since very beginning a keeper, and all this intrest is making me want to keep it even more..

:)

thanks a lot for all words of appreciation for this very nice example of Active Duty :thumbsup:

WOW! Super cool stuff! .... It's moments like this that the HOG'Z put the piglets up in the stands as spectators :D:D:D . I bow to thee Hog Gods.. All Hail the kings! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Back