Show your HDFK!

^ kinda, sorta looks like the images of the clouds engulfing the planet Jupiter!!!
Especially if you live in Canada;)
pia21978.jpg

That was my gentle reminder to sheath your knife before you go crawling through the cedar breaks just in case when a branch comes flying at your face and you raise your left hand to block it, you don’t draw your wrist across the sharp blade in your other hand. Because that could get you 11 stitches on the outside plus 3 sub q. Best part was, I was a couple miles out in the sticks, and I couldn’t tell right away how bad it was, but it bled like a sumbich, and I almost sat down to write a “not suicide” note so people wouldn’t think it was on purpose.
Dang! Glad you made it back OK.

That's why it's good to have a small IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit for folks unfamiliar with the acronym) when out in the sticks.

I like to keep a CAT Tourniquet in it (works very well, and easier to apply 1-handed than other options), Olaes bandages, and Celox Rapid gauze among other things.

Nice, believe you have 4 of the HDFK Now-Congrats:thumbsup:Antique is always beautiful, But that Black Canvas looks to be a Shade Darker than Normal (Nice) ;)
Thanks, the unbuffed burlap will fit nicely in there. The 2 Black ones are linen but you are right, the buffed one has a nice dark elegance to it. I just received a couple leather danglers yesterday with (I don’t know what the bast way to discribed it but maybe a half ring dangler) and love how the blade sits off the waist and swings a little less. I own many knives but this design moved straight to the top!!!

FC3C5A40-129B-46F1-9F21-CC098DAB7265.jpeg

I wanted to get out and briefly use the HDFK. It was a wet, muddy day in western Pa. Often I bring knives from different categories and use them side by side. That way I can see how a blade will perform against knives that have a specific use. Above are the HDFK, an Infi Ratmandu (convex) and my scandi Adventure Sworn Mountaineer in 3v. One of the later two are usually with me while hiking. The Carothers performed beautifully. It easily exceeds my limited skill set. The HDFK cuts like a smaller blade but can tackle larger tasks.

05C408F5-686C-402E-8328-F0AE7C9D172D.jpeg
Once I found the angle, feathers were a breeze. Ergonomics are world class, my aging paws get fatigued quickly but I felt no ill effects from the HDFK. I was fun to use.

04879393-F659-449F-AC75-00A921BB42E4.jpeg
Notching was a pleasure. I can’t believe how well balanced of a knife the HDFK was. The knife chops above its weight class too.

Overall, this was a great purchase and will never leave my collection. No corrosion or loss of sharpness was seen in limited use. This knive is a master of all tasks and will see a lot of belt/pack time in the future. I would like to thank the Carothers for producing such a fine knife, Dan

Last edited:
View attachment 1006573

I wanted to get out and briefly use the HDFK. It was a wet, muddy day in western Pa. Often I bring knives from different categories and use them side by side. That way I can see how a blade will perform against knives that have a specific use. Above are the HDFK, an Infi Ratmandu (convex) and my scandi Adventure Sworn Mountaineer in 3v. One of the later two are usually with me while hiking. The Carothers performed beautifully. It easily exceeds my limited skill set. The HDFK cuts like a smaller blade but can tackle larger tasks.

View attachment 1006576
Once I found the angle, feathers were a breeze. Ergonomics are world class, my aging paws get fatigued quickly but I felt no ill effects from the HDFK. I was fun to use.

View attachment 1006577
Notching was a pleasure. I can’t believe how well balanced of a knife the HDFK was. The knife chops above its weight class too.

Overall, this was a great purchase and will never leave my collection. No corrosion or loss of sharpness was seen in limited use. This knive is a master of all tasks and will see a lot of belt/pack time in the future. I would like to thank the Carothers for producing such a fine knife, Dan

Great little review! Thank you, and I agree with all said. Mike

Back