Show your HDFK!

That sure is taking scary sharp to a literal meaning. Must of been quite a rough experience if you almost had to write a note explaining the circumstance....Glad you're okay :thumbsup:

Buy a cheap knife to learn sharpening
you don’t want to mess up your hdfk

Damn, I wish I'da known that sooner or else I wouldn'ta used those damn big bolts to sharpen it...........

large.jpg

What’s the story with that blade and it’s edge?

As the prototype it was, probably more a NASK that was about to be tweeked here and there, the end result becoming the HDFK model.

Being a prototype back then, and marked as such, it was put through extreme paces that included but were certainly not limited to determining whether the bigass bolt or the blade would survive through that purposeful abuse. Typically, only one of each model had both the "PROTOTYPE" and the "BAD MOTHER FUCKER" marks, one being descriptive of the abuse the other was taking. The end of life for such a proto can most often be a toss into the creek at Nathan's.

Last edited:
Resized_20180917_092448_4630.jpeg most development work never sees the light of day, but this particular prototype, after performing its duties, was interesting enough that I thought Bob might like it.

There were several of those, different thicknesses behind the edge. The interaction of primary grind angle and behind the edge thickness varies a little from pattern to pattern so there are no set-in-stone rules. It takes prototypes and rough use testing to decide upon the final geometry for a pattern. If I recall correctly those went through some hardened 1/2" bolts. You're going to get some edge deterioration, the key is to size the bevels where there is acceptable distortion up in the grinds after a rough use but you don't want to overdo this because that reduces cutting efficiency. Different patterns have different expectations so there is a judgement call, this isn't super scientific, but each pattern gets this kind of subjective use before we feel comfortable finalizing the geometry.

Back