Show your HDFK!

Couple that camps, fishes and hunts together; stays together.

I just don't trust it when they don't go to the gym together. Too many strange pheromones flying around gyms' atmosphere ;)

We used to go to the gym together all the time. She would lift free weights with me too! But then, I had to go jump on the treadmill with her for at least a few miles. I hate running by the way...

I've been trying to get here to join here, but she's a mod on another forum and that takes up all her surfing time.

RCjFsZ0.jpg

IJiXGGb.jpg

OK, this has been long promised and past due (say like 2 weekends ago!). However since none of you wealthy folks had paid me to do it right away, I'll do it on my own time and dime :D

There are 3 of the Palms (as one is shown) with overgrown limbs ranging anywhere from 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches in stem breadth to be cut off, before the bark dries off to be pulled off easily when dry. So I thought to myself, OK; I've gotta get rid of these PITA branches blocking my view which also provide a conduit for friggin ants to get on the structure, as if they need another easily accessible route to get in :rolleyes:

Plus, chopping fresh palms limbs and de-leafing (is this even a word?) provides great practice for building and providing a roof if in a tropical kinda setting. My HDFK-D3V easily just chopped the palms when I was swinging in a chopping motion from 6-8 inches away just with a wrist flick but from 3-4 inches away it did not cut cleanly through with the thicker ones but it was a breeze even close up with the thinner limbs. It easily just sliced through the leafs like removes cooked corn from its cob with a sharp knife and I had no real difficulties slicing through the limbs 1/2 or 1/3 way through for clean up / putting in the garden recycling bin (I cut more than the pictures shows as you may note from the bin!). All in all like 15 minutes and 5 minutes for washing the HDFK, clean up, dry and applying a thin coat of mineral oil for maintenance. Afterwards on the photocopy payer test (sorry couldn't find a phone book immediately) again it breezed through with the grain and very slight snagging (no tearing though) against the grain which I'm certain some stropping would've been ample to take care of it :thumbsup:

It is currently 91 degrees and dry in here (San Elijo Hills, San Marcos, CA) and yes I tend to wear a glove (sz L) since I accidentally almost lopped off my left index finger about a year and 1/2 ago! When it comes to lethally sharp and heavy blades, my hands scream: "no gloving = no loving" ;)

Loading up pics which I reduced in size to 640 x 480 so that I would not clog up too much bandwidth:

LCWy6Pd.jpg

LGv3n3J.jpg

wB4MC4T.jpg

IOnOc87.jpg

VSsQsAq.jpg

jTUeEHV.jpg

EgnR2ij.jpg

gkiABy4.jpg

zdJ8SEJ.jpg

AAtJcjz.jpg

Last edited:
Oh yeah, milled some slots in the sheath for easy velcro attachment :) I wish sheath manufacturers would think of this stuff.

View attachment 776841

~Chip

Can I like this post twice??!! Slots are so functional and about the only maker that adds them regularly that I've come across is Kiah. Maybe someday we'll see a CPK in Kiahdex.

Can I ask how you did it so cleanly with the sheath assembled already?

Dave

Can I ask how you did it so cleanly with the sheath assembled already?

Thanks for the kind words:)

Nothing to special, I just used a nice, sharp end mill. Fixturing was trickier, I wound up putting a piece of wood in the vice on the mill and using some drywall screws through the eyelets to hold the sheath to the wood.

~Chip

Thanks for the kind words:)

Nothing to special, I just used a nice, sharp end mill. Fixturing was trickier, I wound up putting a piece of wood in the vice on the mill and using some drywall screws through the eyelets to hold the sheath to the wood.

~Chip

Very cool! That makes sense, I can picture in my head how it could be done that way. Thank you!

I've been trying to get here to join here, but she's a mod on another forum and that takes up all her surfing time.

Who, me? :D

OK, this has been long promised and past due (say like 2 weekends ago!). However since none of you wealthy folks had paid me to do it right away, I'll do it on my own time and dime :D

There are 3 of the Palms (as one is shown) with overgrown limbs ranging anywhere from 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches in stem breadth to be cut off, before the bark dries off to be pulled off easily when dry. So I thought to myself, OK; I've gotta get rid of these PITA branches blocking my view which also provide a conduit for friggin ants to get on the structure, as if they need another easily accessible route to get in :rolleyes:

Plus, chopping fresh palms limbs and de-leafing (is this even a word?) provides great practice for building and providing a roof if in a tropical kinda setting. My HDFK-D3V easily just chopped the palms when I was swinging in a chopping motion from 6-8 inches away just with a wrist flick but from 3-4 inches away it did not cut cleanly through with the thicker ones but it was a breeze even close up with the thinner limbs. It easily just sliced through the leafs like removes cooked corn from its cob with a sharp knife and I had no real difficulties slicing through the limbs 1/2 or 1/3 way through for clean up / putting in the garden recycling bin (I cut more than the pictures shows as you may note from the bin!). All in all like 15 minutes and 5 minutes for washing the HDFK, clean up, dry and applying a thin coat of mineral oil for maintenance. Afterwards on the photocopy payer test (sorry couldn't find a phone book immediately) again it breezed through with the grain and very slight snagging (no tearing though) against the grain which I'm certain some stropping would've been ample to take care of it :thumbsup:

It is currently 91 degrees and dry in here (San Elijo Hills, San Marcos, CA) and yes I tend to wear a glove (sz L) since I accidentally almost lopped off my left index finger about a year and 1/2 ago! When it comes to lethally sharp and heavy blades, my hands scream: "no gloving = no loving" ;)

Loading up pics which I reduced in size to 640 x 480 so that I would not clog up too much bandwidth:

LCWy6Pd.jpg

LGv3n3J.jpg

wB4MC4T.jpg

IOnOc87.jpg

VSsQsAq.jpg

jTUeEHV.jpg

EgnR2ij.jpg

gkiABy4.jpg

zdJ8SEJ.jpg

AAtJcjz.jpg

What did that poor palm tree do to you?

Nice write-up and pics!