Show your Paul Long Sheaths!

Chefget

Gold Member
I've always had knives with pocket clips. Hate "fishing" for a knife in the pocket, and having worn chef pants without belts for about 30 years or so, a belt sheath is not an option.

Starting with a Spyderco 'Clipit' (circa 1995), every knife that I carried had a pocket clip. There is a possibility that I own one of the largest collection of custom butterfly knives with clips; whenever I would commission one to be made, and most of the time when purchasing one, it had to have a clip.

Last fall, after spending some time in Europe and learning to appreciate their style of knives (and life in general), there were several of these knives (without clips) that really needed to be carried and used. After getting in touch with our own sheathmaker Gary Graley, he graciously referred me to the incomparable Paul Long.

Well, now everything has changed. Haven't carried a knife with a pocket clip since last fall. Seems rather crude now…almost brutish :)

These gorgeous pocket sheaths are made by Paul Long to perfectly fit the individual knife it was made for. They hold the knife absolutely secure, afford easy access to the knife and IMO function better than a pocket clip. Also, without the metal pocket clip abrasing the pocket edge with each use, all my pants have a new lease on life! The clips on the sheaths function great, and the lip of the sheath showing in the pocket is classier than bare steel peeking out.

The professionalism, expediency and quality of work shown by Mr. Long in every one of our transaction made dealing with him a pleasure! I am seriously envious of his production capacity, especially astounding at this high a skill level.

As an added benefit, the sheaths seem to add a people-friendly aspect to a knife when displayed; now in place of seeing sharp and shiny steel, folks are taken by the beauty of the sheath and obvious skill taken to make it (in many cases more so than the knife!)

Though more known for his fixed blade sheaths, these pocket sheaths by Mr. Long are simply as good as it gets. Here are some of mine.

I'd love to see more sheaths by Paul Long…show 'em if you got 'em!

long_breniere(1)_m.jpg

long_breniere(6)_m.jpg

long_breniere(8)_m.jpg

long_vesseyre_m.jpg

long_vesseyre(5)_m.jpg

long_vesseyre(3)_m.jpg

-Michael

Last edited:
This is great. I'm going to see if he will make one for my Thorburn folder. I've been afraid to damage it with keys and coins in my pocket and so haven't carried it yet.

Thank you Michael

That’s the tip of the iceberg :)

Multiple Khukuri sheaths and I’ve lost count of the Bowie stuff

I’ve been truly blessed to have Paul as a friend

He’s yelled at me when I’ve been off course also so I owe him for that as well :)

Vintage Long

This was one of the first Bowie sheaths Paul did for me

I sent him the Cape buffalo skin from a Bull I shot for the inlay

Probable my favorite Bowie ..this knife in many Long sheaths went a lot of places with me

In fact I have many knives with multiple Long sheaths just for them

Piles of project sheaths

I’ve been truly blessed ....it would take me hours to post all the Long sheaths I have

Imagine, if you will, all the square yards of leather that have passed through his hands. Possibly acres of leather, if that were possible?

In on one, as this thread can surely go on for many, many pages.

Imagine, if you will, all the square yards of leather that have passed through his hands. Possibly acres of leather, if that were possible?

In on one, as this thread can surely go on for many, many pages.

I really don't know how many sides of leather I have cut up, but it's a LOT! I do have a fairly accurate count of just the sheaths I've made. There are about 8500 of them out there world wide. I will say it's been a fun ride. I'm loving every minute of it, and best of all the very large group of friends I have developed as a result.

Paul

not a one of those 8500 sheaths reside with me, but I really like and respect Paul and am so glad to see a thread devoted to his fantastic work

Back