1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Show your Paul Long Sheaths!

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Chefget, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Chefget

Chefget Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    I've always had knives with pocket clips. Hate "fishing" for a knife in the pocket, and having worn chef pants without belts for about 30 years or so, a belt sheath is not an option.

Starting with a Spyderco 'Clipit' (circa 1995), every knife that I carried had a pocket clip. There is a possibility that I own one of the largest collection of custom butterfly knives with clips; whenever I would commission one to be made, and most of the time when purchasing one, it had to have a clip.

Last fall, after spending some time in Europe and learning to appreciate their style of knives (and life in general), there were several of these knives (without clips) that really needed to be carried and used. After getting in touch with our own sheathmaker Gary Graley, he graciously referred me to the incomparable Paul Long.

Well, now everything has changed. Haven't carried a knife with a pocket clip since last fall. Seems rather crude now…almost brutish :)

These gorgeous pocket sheaths are made by Paul Long to perfectly fit the individual knife it was made for. They hold the knife absolutely secure, afford easy access to the knife and IMO function better than a pocket clip. Also, without the metal pocket clip abrasing the pocket edge with each use, all my pants have a new lease on life! The clips on the sheaths function great, and the lip of the sheath showing in the pocket is classier than bare steel peeking out.

The professionalism, expediency and quality of work shown by Mr. Long in every one of our transaction made dealing with him a pleasure! I am seriously envious of his production capacity, especially astounding at this high a skill level.

As an added benefit, the sheaths seem to add a people-friendly aspect to a knife when displayed; now in place of seeing sharp and shiny steel, folks are taken by the beauty of the sheath and obvious skill taken to make it (in many cases more so than the knife!)

Though more known for his fixed blade sheaths, these pocket sheaths by Mr. Long are simply as good as it gets. Here are some of mine.

I'd love to see more sheaths by Paul Long…show 'em if you got 'em!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Michael

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  2. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    I have about 7 pieces by the great Paul Long (three are shown below).
    In fact, so far he has done all my leather work.
    (I'm about to break that streak as I'm working with Claude Scott on my latest project)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Very nice.....I wouldn't know where to start. ;) :D

john april, canineforge and Grenock like this.
  4. Chefget

Nov 2, 1998
    You can start anywhere Dudley...just like this... :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    This is great. I'm going to see if he will make one for my Thorburn folder. I've been afraid to damage it with keys and coins in my pocket and so haven't carried it yet.

6. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    I only have these pocket clip sheaths left at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. canineforge

canineforge Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Huge fan of Paul's work, here. Had my first one made around 15-years ago. Paul is the best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Joe

8. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    This might take me awhile :)

I have a huge collection of Paul Long Sheaths

He is my Pappy :)

[​IMG]

In fact he just finished up one for a project I will be announcing shortly

Sneak pic

[​IMG]

A few others

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have many many more

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  9. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Paul has made few for me, this is my favorite.

Jim Crowell fighter
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Chefget

Nov 2, 1998
    Wow, a lot of nice sheaths!

Jon, I didn't know anyone else was a big fan of Mr. Long's pocket sheaths, they look great! And Win, such a classic Paul Long.

And Joe, always impressive. A lot of big steel there! My fixed blades are smaller (I'm not ashamed to admit it :D )...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Michael

11. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Thank you Michael

That’s the tip of the iceberg :)

Multiple Khukuri sheaths and I’ve lost count of the Bowie stuff

I’ve been truly blessed to have Paul as a friend

He’s yelled at me when I’ve been off course also so I owe him for that as well :)

Vintage Long

This was one of the first Bowie sheaths Paul did for me

I sent him the Cape buffalo skin from a Bull I shot for the inlay

Probable my favorite Bowie ..this knife in many Long sheaths went a lot of places with me

[​IMG]

In fact I have many knives with multiple Long sheaths just for them

Piles of project sheaths

[​IMG]

I’ve been truly blessed ....it would take me hours to post all the Long sheaths I have

12. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    One or two throughout the years. DSC_0129.jpg Mandt_NY08_01B-ww.jpg web.jpg

13. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Here's my smallest one, Bill Ankrom 3/4 Chute knife:

[​IMG]

14. Russ Andrews

Russ Andrews Knifemaker

Nov 27, 2002
    removed

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  15. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Imagine, if you will, all the square yards of leather that have passed through his hands. Possibly acres of leather, if that were possible?

In on one, as this thread can surely go on for many, many pages.

16. BFS

BFS Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 14, 2004
    IMG_1711.JPG

coldsteelburns, Chefget and Win Heger like this.
  17. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    I really don't know how many sides of leather I have cut up, but it's a LOT! I do have a fairly accurate count of just the sheaths I've made. There are about 8500 of them out there world wide. I will say it's been a fun ride. I'm loving every minute of it, and best of all the very large group of friends I have developed as a result.

Paul

18. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of Wheeler's with the bottom piece sheathed by Nick.

[​IMG]

A couple of Brother Sam's pieces with the upper piece done by 8 Ball Leather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  19. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    not a one of those 8500 sheaths reside with me, but I really like and respect Paul and am so glad to see a thread devoted to his fantastic work

Chefget, Dawkind and Jsega51 like this.
  20. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

Lorien ....It’s not to late to fix that :)

Dudley ... I’ll put you in my will to get all my knives if you put me in yours to get all of yours ....it’ll be a crap shoot :)

coldsteelburns and Dawkind like this.