1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

SHUN FOLDING STEAK KNIFE

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JParanee, May 25, 2019.

1. justjed

justjed

Oct 23, 2010
    I use my own knife quite a bit, and never a word has been spoken, from staff or other customers. Of course, in Oklahoma, where I live, there are MUCH stranger things to deal with than whether someone is using their own knife to cut a steak. Or a chicken fried steak. As long as you're not cutting a fart, no one will notice...

Practicoolio and katanas like this.
  2. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    You shouldn't need a knife for that. :eek: (if so, you need the "turd" knife.) ;)

3. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    That's actually pretty cool.

However, if you think you need a better knife to cut your steak, I have to disagree with you...

I think you need a better steak. :D

4. mushka

mushka

Jun 27, 2018
    I like the idea of a folding steak knife. Never heard or thought of it til this thread. I do use my own knife at restaurant cutting meat. It's the only time I cut meat on a ceramic or metal plate. At my home when we eat things that have to be cut, meat etc, we use wooden plates and bowles. I like the regression of implements and use regular steak and carving knives instead of my pocket knife at a restaurant.
    Woods good.

Pomsbz likes this.
  5. wensynch

wensynch

Apr 30, 2016
    I have one. It's a good knife.

You know what is a phenomenally good steak knife? An Opinel. Surprisingly, the MAM Portugal clones cut well too, like butter, even without serrations. I too thought serrations would usually be more up to snuff for cutting steak. Turns out, that's not necessary true.

Can't pull a Wolverine snikt slice in meat with serrations.

6. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    True, but NO panache. :( A Shun/KAI, crossbones, Laguiole, etc. just "feel" special for cutting that perfect steak (or chop) at home. :cool: I don't use them in restaurants, but, at home, on a special plate for a special steak (chop), AHHHH! :thumbsup:

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    WValtakis likes this.
  7. tokerblue

tokerblue

May 1, 2010
    Thanks. That's a perfect explanation.

8. Low_rez

Low_rez Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 15, 2011

Nothing is worse than paying $50+ for a good steak at a nice restaurant and to be handed a dull serrated tool that tears your meat apart. You would be surprised how many upscale restaurants have crappy steak knives.

9. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    The few times I’ve paid for a $50 steak it’s been tender enough to cut readily with the restaurant’s crappy cutlery.

Just sayin’. ;)

Although, if I was fortunate enough to frequent such establishments, I’d consider something like discussed above.