SHUN FOLDING STEAK KNIFE

I use my own knife quite a bit, and never a word has been spoken, from staff or other customers. Of course, in Oklahoma, where I live, there are MUCH stranger things to deal with than whether someone is using their own knife to cut a steak. Or a chicken fried steak. As long as you're not cutting a fart, no one will notice...

That's actually pretty cool.

However, if you think you need a better knife to cut your steak, I have to disagree with you...

I think you need a better steak. :D

I like the idea of a folding steak knife. Never heard or thought of it til this thread. I do use my own knife at restaurant cutting meat. It's the only time I cut meat on a ceramic or metal plate. At my home when we eat things that have to be cut, meat etc, we use wooden plates and bowles. I like the regression of implements and use regular steak and carving knives instead of my pocket knife at a restaurant.
Woods good.

I have one. It's a good knife.

You know what is a phenomenally good steak knife? An Opinel. Surprisingly, the MAM Portugal clones cut well too, like butter, even without serrations. I too thought serrations would usually be more up to snuff for cutting steak. Turns out, that's not necessary true.

Can't pull a Wolverine snikt slice in meat with serrations.

You know what is a phenomenally good steak knife? An Opinel. Surprisingly, the MAM Portugal clones cut well too, like butter
True, but NO panache. :( A Shun/KAI, crossbones, Laguiole, etc. just "feel" special for cutting that perfect steak (or chop) at home. :cool: I don't use them in restaurants, but, at home, on a special plate for a special steak (chop), AHHHH! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
IMO, for this purpose, the kwaiken is a bit bulky and awkward (I have a customized one and like it) compared to the Shun/KAI which are much more light and balanced for dining. :)
Thanks. That's a perfect explanation.

That's actually pretty cool.

However, if you think you need a better knife to cut your steak, I have to disagree with you...

I think you need a better steak. :D

Nothing is worse than paying $50+ for a good steak at a nice restaurant and to be handed a dull serrated tool that tears your meat apart. You would be surprised how many upscale restaurants have crappy steak knives.

The few times I’ve paid for a $50 steak it’s been tender enough to cut readily with the restaurant’s crappy cutlery.

Just sayin’. ;)

Although, if I was fortunate enough to frequent such establishments, I’d consider something like discussed above.

Back