Side Project Sabers -

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
When I was a kid, my dad gave me a bayonet for a Gras Mle1866 that he had gotten from his dad. As a kid it fit me perfectly and I played sword fighting in my room with it. Anyway I've always wished I had learned to do some sword fighting. Rediculous thing really in my mind, but there it is. I mentioned something to Dylan about it after I made the Sirupate. I think that knife re-lit the sword fire. Anyway I have been lusting after and looking at swords lately. Actually, not swords, but sabers. I just like them for some reason. Specifically infantry and light cavalry sabers. So I'm going to make a few swords. These won't be Fiddlebacks and I'm not going into the sword making business, but I thought you'd like to watch the process. Also, my intent is not to make historical replicas, but I do want to make usable fighting swords. (Even thought I think that is silly.) I intend to study the design and then modify/modernize it to my liking. I'm also trying to find a place to learn to fight with the saber.

The first few swords won't be sabers, just to point this out before we start posting pics. The first example I got my hands on is a straight bladed sword.

That’s cool. Might try the UGA fencing club. They might enjoy the ability to learn about the making part of the sport from you while you learn some technique from them.

Last edited:
I’m sure you’ll come up with something really cool. Can’t wait for the show (i.e., footage of you and dylan facing off with custom sabers). Keep in mind, diligent preparation and an escape route will be necessary before stepping into the ring (or the woods) with dylan. He’s a bad man!! :)

The worst thing that ever happened to someone wanting to learn to make and fight sabers is Star Wars. LOL. Just for kicks, google saber fighting...

BTW, It has been impossible for me to find, so far and I'm talking hours and hours here, patterns online for military sabers from the 18th and 19th century. Not interested in modern dress sabers. Extra credit to anyone that can find me a measured drawing for the English 1796 light cavalry saber, and the US 1860 saber.

Wow, what a neat idea! It seems that those of us who work with our hands always find a way to keep them busy. I have been woodworking and leather working for years and have recently started a little blacksmithing and knife grinding. Such fun to learn a new skill. Looking forward to some pics!

The worst thing that ever happened to someone wanting to learn to make and fight sabers is Star Wars. LOL. Just for kicks, google saber fighting...

BTW, It has been impossible for me to find, so far and I'm talking hours and hours here, patterns online for military sabers from the 18th and 19th century. Not interested in modern dress sabers. Extra credit to anyone that can find me a measured drawing for the English 1796 light cavalry saber, and the US 1860 saber.

You should make a phone call to Chickamauga and see if they have one you can measure. It's worth a trip there just to see the gun collection.

When I was a kid, my dad gave me a bayonet for a Gras Mle1866 that he had gotten from his dad. As a kid it fit me perfectly and I played sword fighting in my room with it. Anyway I've always wished I had learned to do some sword fighting. Rediculous thing really in my mind, but there it is. I mentioned something to Dylan about it after I made the Sirupate. I think that knife re-lit the sword fire. Anyway I have been lusting after and looking at swords lately. Actually, not swords, but sabers. I just like them for some reason. Specifically infantry and light cavalry sabers. So I'm going to make a few swords. These won't be Fiddlebacks and I'm not going into the sword making business, but I thought you'd like to watch the process. Also, my intent is not to make historical replicas, but I do want to make usable fighting swords. (Even thought I think that is silly.) I intend to study the design and then modify/modernize it to my liking. I'm also trying to find a place to learn to fight with the saber.

The first few swords won't be sabers, just to point this out before we start posting pics. The first example I got my hands on is a straight bladed sword.

Lol, so many parallels in our lives. I have a collection of bayonets, partly for the same reasons. Although the Mouser bayonet, the middle one, is about to get modified for the purpose of memory recall for the autobiography I am working on. I'm modifying it to the shape of the one I modified in 1978 when I found myself suddenly stuck with my drugged out mother and stepfather in North Dallas after my farther's accident at work. And one of only a handful of Caucasian kids at a mostly Hispanic and very violent Jr High school. There was a lot of violence and bloodshed from all of the gang activity...an ambulance was there about three or four times a month. The "gangsters" all carried switchblades, and all I had was a Buck 110 and a collection of old military knives. So I modified a mouser bayonet. I removed parts of the guard to streamline it, shortened the blade and changed the geometry for better penetration, and made it more easy to carry discretely. I made a special carry system for it that I'll have to reproduce as well.

20180801_103944.jpg

I have replica cavalry saber that is pretty old and was made in India, that you are welcome to borrow if it will help you with your studies. I inherited it and know nothing about it other than it was made in India several years ago. I do wish I knew what the writing says, it has cool blade etching.

20180801_113902.jpg

20180801_113954.jpg

20180801_114104.jpg

20180801_114128.jpg

20180801_114135.jpg

20180801_114148.jpg

Last edited:
What is Chickamauga?

It's a National Park here. A battlefield where they have a museum full of the weapons that were used here during the war between the north and the south. Photos for parts of my Tolkien project have been shot in various parts of it, as there are multiple parts to the park.

I’ve looked for a while trying to find the drawings for you and didn’t come up with much either. This might be the best lead but will cost you $28 or so.
https://www.amazon.com/British-Patt...preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Bmurray Bmurray and I have discussed it. We would like one in 3/32" CPM 154 with high grinds and thin tapered tang. Also bog oak on the handle with a hammered copper knuckle guard, black liners, copper pinstripe and top-grain unicorn hide scabbard.

Or maybe damascus with a metorite scales, we're not picky.

Also, could you make it a folder...it seems a bit long.

Oh, and a matching Hiking Buddy.

Back