1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Side Project Sabers -

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by Fiddleback, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Sergeua

Sergeua

May 1, 2016
    https://m.dobroni.pl/_mobile/index.php?q=news-show&ItemID=13295

I have the above saber. If your translate to english it gives you proper measurements and you might get an idea. Click on pictures and it will show you more measurements. This one i think is based on older sabers from 1800s. They have longer one they use on horsebacks. This one is shorter and pretty good size.

Fiddleback likes this.
  2. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    Nbrackett likes this.
  3. Halfneck

Halfneck Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 30, 2005
    2 of my favorite swords. They don't exactly scream finesse. The Bluchers Sabre supposedly received complaints from the opposing French officers. When I see a Basket-hilted Broadsword I imagine a charge of Scottish Highlanders armed with them & a spiked targe shield. Love the final fight scene in Rob Roy when he hacks down his opponent. BluchersSabre.jpg BaskethiltClaymore.jpg

mistwalker likes this.
  4. Fiddleback

Fiddleback Knifemaker Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    That. I want to make it.

Nbrackett likes this.
  5. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Lots of great information there. Thanks!

6. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    Andy wanted me to post some pics of his bayonet. There is a bit of a learning curve to taking "good" pics of schwords. Im on the uphill climb, hopefully.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Odaon

Odaon Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 13, 2009
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what you create Andy! Such a cool project!

8. VANCE

VANCE Allen, I have an axe to grind with you. Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 13, 2006
    While Andy is grinding this week's knives John started to profile out the first sword
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    she's SPARKY...right in the FACE
    [​IMG]

hasco likes this.
  9. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    and just like that
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Odaon, mistwalker and hasco like this.
  10. LostViking

LostViking Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2009
    You can put me down for a Basket Hilt Claymore and a Seax. Genetics and all.

Fiddleback and Nbrackett like this.
  11. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    handle components arrived yesterday afternoon
    [​IMG]

12. VANCE

Mar 13, 2006
    John took some notes a couple days ago regarding the weight
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

wildmanh likes this.
  13. DavidCAndersen

DavidCAndersen Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Don't you guys know anything? Everybody knows that old cavalry sabers were scandi ground and usually had a serrated spine and a blood groooove for optimum exsanguination... everything you read on the internet is true btw.

Lapedog and Fiddleback like this.
  14. swonut

swonut KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 1, 2007
    I'm looking forward to the point where you pull it out of the quench oil and it blows up into a huge ball of fire! Immediately followed by a few taps with a hammer that results in two swords of much shorter lengths....

Just kidding. Keep us posted!

Fiddleback likes this.
  15. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    LOL. We don´t have the facilities to ht the blade. Our oven is only 15" deep. These blades will be going out to Peters HT. I don´t imagine they will be impressed enough to post the process....

16. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Try getting hold of Matt Easting I think his name is who runs this site and the Scholagladiatora youtube channel. He has an extensive collection of European (including British) sabres and I am sure he would be glad to get those measurements and any photos and info you would need.

https://m.facebook.com/historicalfencing/

https://m.youtube.com/user/scholagladiatoria

Odaon likes this.
  17. Fiddleback

Oct 19, 2005
    Thank you @Lapedog I sent him a message. I don´t know why it took me so long to just bite down and do that...

Lapedog likes this.