SK-5 Bushman failed in latest "Joe-X" Destruction Test

I doubt anyone thinks a current Recon Tanto or Bushman will increase in values all that much.

Benjamin, you might want to look on eBay to see the current prices on used Recon Tantos that are made in Japan or in Carbon V, and also see what early Bushman that were made in Taiwan are going for. Or for that matter, nearly any discontinued Cold Steel knife. No, they aren't Randall's or Liles or Chris Reeves blades on the collectability scale. But Cold Steel knives are so popular that discontinued blades almost always command a premium on the aftermarket, especially if they were popular. The higher quality control on the Carbon V's, Made in Japan models, and early Bushman is enough to make people seek them out and pay higher money. I personally know of one combat vet who carried a Recon Scout in Carbon V in Iraq, lost it after returning to the states years ago, and then gladly paid $175 for one on Ebay recently to replace it. He told me he didn't trust the QC/Heat Treatment on the SK-5 version but very much trusted that a Carbon V model wouldn't fail him. That is just one story, but I'm sure there are many more.

Benjamin, you might want to look on eBay to see the current prices on used Recon Tantos that are made in Japan or in Carbon V, and also see what early Bushman that were made in Taiwan are going for. Or for that matter, nearly any discontinued Cold Steel knife. No, they aren't Randall's or Liles or Chris Reeves blades on the collectability scale. But Cold Steel knives are so popular that discontinued blades almost always command a premium on the aftermarket, especially if they were popular. The higher quality control on the Carbon V's, Made in Japan models, and early Bushman is enough to make people seek them out and pay higher money. I personally know of one combat vet who carried a Recon Scout in Carbon V in Iraq, lost it after returning to the states years ago, and then gladly paid $175 for one on Ebay recently to replace it. He told me he didn't trust the QC/Heat Treatment on the SK-5 version but very much trusted that a Carbon V model wouldn't fail him. That is just one story, but I'm sure there are many more.
he was talking about sk5 ones.....

he was talking about sk5 ones.....

The current Recon Tanto comes in San Mai III as well. But this general sentiment has been shared ad nauseum by members of the Late 90s/Early 2000s Gentlemen's Club here, that Cold Steel Knives aren't collectible for the most part. It is not based in reality, only on their opinion.

The current Recon Tanto comes in San Mai III as well. But this general sentiment has been shared ad nauseum by members of the Late 90s/Early 2000s Gentlemen's Club here, that Cold Steel Knives aren't collectible for the most part. It is not based in reality, only on their opinion.
could be true, but seeing how this thread is on sk5 and breaking bushman....and broken sk5 recon tanto video shown....I think its safe to assume he was referring to sk5 ones.

Yes, I was talking about the SK5 Recon Tanto.

The thread is about SK5, so it would be really strange for me to refer to the San Mai version in the context of my post.

I've seen the SK5 Recon tanto sell for anywhere between $30.00 - 45.00 at sites not trying to rip people off. There are so many of them out there and for them to have a massive increase in value, enough for people to invest in them, would take some really idiotic action by Cold Steel.

Most collectors collect things because they like them, not to make money. The amount of people who'd fall into the category of those buying Cold Steel knives as investments is very low. Then among that group, I'd expect them to be buying their more expensive knives.

I don't doubt Cold Steel knives will increase in value, I just doubt the SK5 Recon Tanto and Bushman are among those that would increase enough to be worth investing in.

I expect the two Magnum Tantos I bought last year to rise in value if they have not already. I bought them because if I wanted them for years but never got around to buying them, and if I waited longer they'd be too expensive.

[snip]

Most collectors collect things because they like them, not to make money. The amount of people who'd fall into the category of those buying Cold Steel knives as investments is very low. Then among that group, I'd expect them to be buying their more expensive knives.

I don't doubt Cold Steel knives will increase in value, I just doubt the SK5 Recon Tanto and Bushman are among those that would increase enough to be worth investing in.

I expect the two Magnum Tantos I bought last year to rise in value if they have not already. I bought them because if I wanted them for years but never got around to buying them, and if I waited longer they'd be too expensive.
Case in point for me: CS old version Voyagers. Shame they got dropped. :(

The SK-5 Recon Tanto and SRK were a huge value to me because they filled a need for what I consider a good deal of a price. The need was for a durable general purpose cutting tool that can also be used as a weapon, with a sheath that is not total garbage, and a price that affords multiples purchased. Honestly, there are firearm magazines that cost more than this knife, and I'm not gonna cry if I lose a magazine in a gunfight. I'm also not gonna cry if I drop the SRK somewhere it can't be retrieved, or break it in half trying to pry open a car door or whatever. As far as the JoeX "testing", if I can slap one of these knives on a metal pole the way he did and not chip the edge out, I'll take as many as I can afford at $35 a pop. I mean, can you really think of a guy who wouldn't be ecstatic if you handed him a Glock 19 and a SRK when they were really in need? But at the current price of $45-$69 + tax + S&H, I think I would shop around and maybe even pay a little more for something else.

Obviously these tests are extreme; how come Cody Lundin carries a 10.00 mora w a wooden handle and hes been all over the world with it? and that one had a wooden handle and isnt even a full tang. this beating concrete, batonning through giant logs and such is getting more stupid by the day. In the last few years its either gross abuse or the ultimate fidget factor ; these guys can self abuse and fidget with their dicks !

Let me start by saying that I have always loved the Cold Steel Bushman. I bought my first one two decades ago and it served me well. That first one was made in Taiwan however, not China. It seems like over the last 10 years, I've seen more and more feedback and reviews saying that their Bushman failed after being used as a spear, chopping branches, or while batoning. Even with the originals being made in Taiwan, I have seen way too many SK-5 knives fail prematurely, even from other manufacturers. Maybe this is why almost no one uses it except Cold Steel?

In theory, SK-5 should be a very tough steel. But at this point, there is a large body of evidence that demonstrates that it is brittle when subjected to stress. I say this in comparison to Cold Steel's AUS-8, AUS-10, Carbon V, 52100, O-1, 4116, 1055, 420 Stainless, and San Mai III. All of those have proven much tougher, or when they break, it's very predictable due to the extreme amount of stress being applied. A good example are the Cold Steel Recon Scouts in SK-5. Almost anytime I hear of one breaking, it's the SK-5 version. I almost never hear of one in Carbon V or O-1 breaking by comparison. Same goes with the Carbon V and AUS-8 SRK vs the SK-5 SRK.

I say all of this not because I have any reason to hate on SK-5 steel, but because a lot of people have spent their hard earned money on knives made of SK-5 and are expecting them to perform in survival, military and police situations. At this point, it might be a bit of false hope to rely on this steel when the going gets tough and I think Lynn (as an adviser) and GSM should consider pulling this steel and switching back to AUS-8 or AUS-10. I own several Cold Steel's in SK-5 and I no longer use them in my survival kits because of what I've seen over and over again.

Your thoughts? (Please, no flaming if you disagree. I am a Cold Steel superfan and this is a materials/QC discussion, not a mark against Cold Steel- thanks)

I just watched the video, and after having a good laugh about it, here are my thoughts.

I don't know who the guy is but it kinda seemed to me that he is vehemently anti-Communist China. (Maybe he's from Taiwan.) I only watched it once, and I'm not quite sure I understood some of what he was saying, but it sounded like he was saying the knife is crap because it was made in China. If it's true that it's made in communist China, (and I hate everything made in communist China), I agree with the guy that almost everything made in China is crap, so I thought that was hilarious.

Where I have to disagree with the guy, though, is that the knife actually took a very impressive amount of abuse before it broke. I don't know about you guys, but I was impressed with the toughness. It took a tremendous bend before it finally snapped. I didn't measure with a protractor or anything, but it sure looked like something close to a 90 degree bend. The guy almost stabbed himself accidentally as he broke the knife. I'm not a knife maker or professional knife tester, but don't almost all knives break before they bend 35-40 degrees? Isn't the British proof test 20 degrees for a sword? Isn't the American Bladesmith Society Master Smith test 35 degrees? In past years, I have checked on the ABS requirements once or twice, but I'm too lazy to do it right now, and I can't remember exactly.

So actually, it seems to me that this knife did very well in this test.

I don't recall seeing many SK5 blades snapping on youtube. It's supposed to be equivalent to 1080 American. It should be tougher than many cheap stainless steels. But performance still comes down to heat treat. The Bushman is not exactly a high performance, high quality blade. It is a cheap, poor man's survival knife. And just to use common sense, you get what you pay for. To draw any overall conclusions about SK5 steel from the Bushman's performance wouldn't be logical.

As for the Recon Scout too, I haven't seen any videos of SK5 versions breaking. But keep in mind that, just because you see a bunch of videos of SK5 versions breaking, whereas there are no videos of any other versions breaking, that doesn't mean that you should draw an inference that SK5 versions are brittle. It's the old sample size/ratio fallacy of statistics. There could be a million SK5 Recon Scouts out there, versus 10,000 Carbon V and 5,000 O-1 versions. Therefore, there could be five SK5 failures out of ONE MILLION knives. And perhaps no one has tested enough Carbon V or O-1 versions to have a failure yet. This is not a scientific result from which you can draw any conclusion.

It could be the same statistical fallacy that was in the news a few months back. Someone said that everyone who died of Coronavirus in the United Kingdom for some specified period of time had received the Covid vaccine previously. Whereas no unvaccinated person had died of the virus. Therefore, it was argued that the Covid vaccine had killed these people, that you would die if you got vaccinated!

It sounds good to the lay person, unfamiliar with statistical arguments. But if you think about it, you'll see the ridiculousness of it. They were comparing grossly unequal sample sizes. In the UK, nearly everyone had received the vaccine. Therefore, the pool of vaccinated persons was enormous. The pool of the unvaccinated was tiny. You have to expect that there would be many more vaccinated people dying of the virus than unvaccinated, simply because of unequal weighting. In other words, assume that there are 10 million people in the UK and assume that everyone except one person had been vaccinated. Now you can easily see why there would be 10,000 deaths among vaccinated people. For statistical arguments like these to be valid, they have to be based on ratios, not absolute numbers. The absolute numbers can be meaningless.

I thought the Recon Tanto did great. That was serious abuse for a $35 knife. I have a Bushman, but sadly haven't done anything with it yet. Its concerning to see the chunks coming out of that blade.

I've had a China Doll SK5 Gurkha khukuri for years and its bullet proof. I consider myself a big fan of the steel. Just not sure what's happening with some of the blade failures. Some of the Recon Scout, and I would guess Trail Master, failures are believed to be related to the 90* tang angles causing obvious stress risers. Hopefully CS fixed that by going to a radius grind there, but I haven't see proof of that yet. I just grabbed one of the 3V Recon Scouts and have very high hopes for it!

I thought the Recon Tanto did great. That was serious abuse for a $35 knife. I have a Bushman, but sadly haven't done anything with it yet. Its concerning to see the chunks coming out of that blade.

I've had a China Doll SK5 Gurkha khukuri for years and its bullet proof. I consider myself a big fan of the steel. Just not sure what's happening with some of the blade failures. Some of the Recon Scout, and I would guess Trail Master, failures are believed to be related to the 90* tang angles causing obvious stress risers. Hopefully CS fixed that by going to a radius grind there, but I haven't see proof of that yet. I just grabbed one of the 3V Recon Scouts and have very high hopes for it!
you'll be happy with the recon scout in 3v. Ive done some wood chopping and the edge has held up well, so far.

I dunno about SK5 breaking as I never push my blades to their absolute limits. I do have some issue with rust though on two blades. Despite being stowed in the sheath dry, my straight spine Bushman and SRK show small spots of corrosion.

Obviously these tests are extreme; how come Cody Lundin carries a 10.00 mora w a wooden handle and hes been all over the world with it? and that one had a wooden handle and isnt even a full tang. this beating concrete, batonning through giant logs and such is getting more stupid by the day. In the last few years its either gross abuse or the ultimate fidget factor ; these guys can self abuse and fidget with their dicks !

Different jobs sort of.

Think more construction than survival. But construction if you didn't think to bring any of the right tools along.

A lot of the jobs people expect out of hacking or wrecking knives. Whatever that duct knife thing is.

A much more urban setting.

I believe Cold Steel radiused the tangs in the Trail Master and Recon Scout in 2011-2012.

One potential issue (per Andrew Demko) is that steel delivered is not necessarily what they claim. The factory in Taiwan says they will deliver SK5 or whatever at some incredible price, but what you really get is low grade Chinese "SK5" equivalent Forged from pop cans and Styrofoam. Note that LT and Demko have both said that despite multiple attempts they were never able to source foreign A2 that was anywhere close to American A2.

When you are talking about a $35 field knife it almost isn't fair to ask or expect too much. Treat it with care and it will probably serve you well. It is a knife, not a demolition tool.

You might ask whether or not it would be better if Cold Steel and other companies didn't offer budget grade field knives knowing that some few will abuse them. I would argue that it is the user's responsibility to exercise self control.

One potential issue (per Andrew Demko) is that steel delivered is not necessarily what they claim. The factory in Taiwan says they will deliver SK5 or whatever at some incredible price, but what you really get is low grade Chinese "SK5" equivalent Forged from pop cans and Styrofoam. Note that LT and Demko have both said that despite multiple attempts they were never able to source foreign A2 that was anywhere close to American A2.

When you are talking about a $35 field knife it almost isn't fair to ask or expect too much. Treat it with care and it will probably serve you well. It is a knife, not a demolition tool.

You might ask whether or not it would be better if Cold Steel and other companies didn't offer budget grade field knives knowing that some few will abuse them. I would argue that it is the user's responsibility to exercise self control.
A while back, there was a point in time where for certain knives, the SRK might have been one of them, the prices suddenly fell for the SK5 versions. And I kind of thought, uh oh, I hope they didn't shift steel sourcing to communist China. Because the knife was supposed to be made in Taiwan, but the prices fell precipitously. That was strange, I thought. We all know you get you pay for. Because if the SK5 in the new knives is made in China, I wouldn't be surprised if the steel quality was crap. Even if the heat treat is done properly in Taiwan, if you heat treat crap steel, you'll get crappy results.

Now, that doesn't mean that a bunch of videos of SK5 knives breaking under knife abuse means that we can draw broad inferences. Going back a very long ways, there were plenty of youtube videos showing SK5 knives getting abused without any ill effects. It could be that steel sourcing made the difference. Or it could be that there was a batch here or there of bad heat treat. Or differences in destructive testing can make these tests very unscientific. Or as I said previously, bias in sampling can easily account for the prevalence of test "failures" on youtube.

Bottom line, in order to test properly, we need a knife that's available in SK5 as well as other steels. It's got to be tested with the same number of hits, bends, etc. And we'll see how the SK5 version holds up compared to those other steels.

I don't think a production knife is going to withstand bending to 90 degrees. I just checked up on the ABS Master Smith test requisites. They require a knife to bend 90 degrees without breaking, although the edge can crack up to 1/3 the width of the blade. This is to test the smith's ability to soften the spine for toughness, whilst hardening the edge for performance. Most production knives are not differentially heat treated, although some, like TOPS are. It seems to me that the Bushman knife in the video did pretty well for a cheap production knife.

FWIW, I asked Joe X to test a True Flight Thrower. I believe it will pass his test with flying colors (pun intended).

if SK-5 is the equivalent of 1080 it's some of the toughest steel known to man. The Hultafors GK, made of SK-5, is directed, on the package, to be okay to hit with a hammer.

It's not the steel. It might be Cold Steel's heat treatment. Normally it's top notch. Something is going on.
coloradowildman coloradowildman has said in the past that the heat treat might have been altered to cater to the consumers' fixation on edge retention at the expense of toughness. I believe there is something to that notion.

I just watched a video last night from an Aussie showing how he chipped his AUS8A Marauder by chopping saplings, so this might not be limited to SK-5 with Cold Steel.

Back