skirmish

i was thinking about maybe a getting a skirmish. the only turnoff for me though is those girly looking colored dots. Does anyone know if they are that hard to remove, or if there is somewhere i could send it to get them removed?
thanks

The model is offered in several different colors, most without the colored dots.

630bk.jpg

630b.jpg

bm630502.jpg

(edited to show pictures)

yeah. it seems like all of those have black blades though, and i kind of like the satin finish

intheusa said:
yeah. it seems like all of those have black blades though, and i kind of like the satin finish
You may be out of luck then. I remember seeing a modded one in the gallery some time ago that had the balls removed, but I don't know how difficult it is to do.

i saw a limited run of 250 that was the same as the original but with silver dots. they're probably all gone now though. im kind of disappointed

I like the one with the blue dots on the bottom...very nearly bought it a couple months back.

Don't worry about the rainbow dots. No one is going to make fun of you if you're holding a skirmish.

I'm also a little turned off by the handle dots on the 630... really slick looking blade, but the handle is just... blah.

the dots dont bother me but the pocket clip is pretty cheesy imho for a knife of the quality the skirmish is, they coulda/shoulda done better on that imho.

I didn't have the money to go for a limited edition, so mine is with ranbow.
I was having the same concern but somehow when I hold the skirmish, the color dots won't be a issue to think about. Carry it more and more, I started to like whatever it looks like.

Paying a hundred dollar more just to have different color and dots....well, i have no comment on that.

Almtiba - I saw that thread earlier, and although the IKBS system sounds like a pretty cool mod, I'm afraid the cost doesn't seem worth it to me.

Wuyeah - orthogonal1 mentioned 'the oxy-clean treatment' to de-colourize the dots. AFAIK oxy-clean is a zit cream, so this might be a cheaper fix, if anyone can explain it a little more.

There are some threads where they used Oxi-Clean (the cleaner) to oxidize the color out of the "dots." It apparently worked successfully.

They just experimented by applying with a Q-tip and letting it do its work for varying times.

Just get some Oxy clean(the clothes soap additive) and put in a pot of boiling water. Remove from stove, pour mixture into a tall glass, and put the handle slabs into the mixture. 15 min later, the scales are a nice gray as opposed to greenish, and the rainbow is replaced with an antique gray finish. You have to take apart the skirmish to do this though.

I recently had the chance to handle a Skirmish and it is an impressive knife for sure! I will be getting one within a few months. I am glad to see Benchmade finally doing a nice large folder in the Skirmish and Rukus.

orthogonal1 said:
There are some threads where they used Oxi-Clean (the cleaner) to oxidize the color out of the "dots." It apparently worked successfully.

They just experimented by applying with a Q-tip and letting it do its work for varying times.

samhain said:
Just get some Oxy clean(the clothes soap additive) and put in a pot of boiling water. Remove from stove, pour mixture into a tall glass, and put the handle slabs into the mixture. 15 min later, the scales are a nice gray as opposed to greenish, and the rainbow is replaced with an antique gray finish. You have to take apart the skirmish to do this though.

thanks for the info, guys! :thumbup:

Kazeryu said:
AFAIK oxy-clean is a zit cream, so this might be a cheaper fix, if anyone can explain it a little more.

Hahahahaha!!

Oxi-clean is a cleaner that you can use for everything. It comes in powder, spray-bottles, whatever. I use it around the house for cleaning stains, juice (wine, beer, bourbon :D) off my carpet, drop a little into the laundry machine with the detergent, etc.

Don't know how it's supposed to remove the color from anodized metal, though. Maybe it oxidizes the surface, dulling the color? Hell, if you want to try it, get some of the powder & mix it with a little water, dab a q-tip in there, and apply it to the dots. I've never tried this, so I don't know if you have to scrub it, or if you have to gently dab it, or maybe you have to sprinkle it on and say "what a waste of time" 17 times as fast as you can.

Peace.