Skyline Discontinued

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by SpyKers, May 19, 2020.

1. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    I have a lot of good memories with the Skyline.

I like the fact that Tommie Lucas designed it and it did very well for the company.

One sided steel liner, a really useful blade shape and profile, and incredibly light. Not a great flipper, but would open fine with a bit of wrist snap.

All good things come to an end I suppose.

2. riversidedep

riversidedep Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 27, 2007
    This was my experience as well. I bought one to try and it just had zero appeal.

3. dkb45

dkb45

Dec 16, 2012
    Maybe we can see a Skyline 2 stepped into 2020 with an sub liner lock, more reliable detent, and a reversible clip. Stonewash or satin finish the blade, and you'll fix everything I didn't like about the Skyline.

4. BillZee

BillZee

Apr 30, 2020
    The Skyline reminded of the Kershaw Hotwire I bought couple of years back. Just a bigger version. I don't like handles that are smaller in back. Plus the steel that hotwire blade was made from would dull if you showed it tissue paper.

5. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    The Hotwire is 3cr13mov, which will certainly dull quickly. The Skyline was offered in a variety of steel runs, with 14c28n Sandvik steel being the standard alloy offered in the latest versions. I may be wrong but it may have started out with 420hc.

Anywho...the Skyline held an edge better and is made in the US. It’s a nicer over all knife than the Hotwire.

Of course, the ergos are definitely dependent on an individual’s preferences as you mentioned.

craytab likes this.
  6. NicoColt1911

NicoColt1911

Mar 17, 2017
    I like the Skyline a lot. IMHO it is an "honest" knife design and a well made American knife at it's price point. It's a shame that it is discontinued. It was THE Kershaw knife for me.

7. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    I like the Skyline also. The Hotwire in 3cr13mov was a special "cheapie" by Kershaw for Walmart at Xmas a couple years ago (according to the Kershaw/Kai website). I picked one up and put it away as a "rare" special edition ;). Like anything from Walmart will ever be "collectible".:rolleyes:
    Rich

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  8. OutdoorsFamilyMan4

OutdoorsFamilyMan4

Jan 20, 2012
    That’s a bummer. I always wanted to try one out, especially a Damascus one. They look like a solid edc flipper