Slicey thin EDC folder

Hi all and thanks for the help on my last thread.

I am a professional but don’t wear a suit. I would like an EDC folder for basic utility tasks like opening boxes, cutting string or twine, zip ties etc. I would likely never use it for significant bushcraft or other hard uses but may take it on a family camping trip and cut a marshmallow stick etc.

To meet the above goals I’ve focused on something fairly thin and slicey. Price range is under $200 but under $150 is even better. I would like a higher end stainless but mid level stainless is ok too. I don’t want to have to worry about corrosion (within reason). No length restrictions for Carey here so I’m thinking 3.25 to 3.5”. I want it to be nice to look at and really would love a natural linen type micarta scale (Ace Biblio looks beautiful but I don’t want a blade that wide). I guess I’m looking for the gentlemen’s EDC but in a specific way.

I currently carry a black Mini Griptillian with partially serrated blade (it was a gift) in 154CM. I hate the serrations and would prefer a slightly longer blade and a bit more elegant look. I also wish the blade were a bit thinner to give me that more “slicey” effortless cutting feel I crave. I do tend to carry inside the wasteband on my right hip and wouldn’t mind trying a deep carry clip in which case I may carry in the pocket instead.

I’ve looked at these knives so far.

MCusta Tactility non Damascus, probably black micarta scales. Looks great, not my favorite color and I don’t love the wood scales but they are an option.

Benchmade 940/943 probably would be great but I don’t love the color options

Benchmade Bugout also would be good and the price is good but again don’t love the scale colors.

Ace Iona looks to be great value, great steel, don’t love the available colors and the blade is slightly short.

I’m thinking the Tactility is the best bet but wanted to see if I was missing something.

I work corporate. My favorite current carries are a Wicked Edge Zinker Dogtooth, any alox but lately a pruner, crkt ripple in acuto, wharnie delica, Spyderco baby Jess horn.

I stopped carrying a mnandi. Would love a Spyderco air or a William Henry when I get my hands on one of those eventually.

The agrussell gentlemans framelock is great and you should check out all of the massdrop offerings that are out there.

TRM Neutron is probably the best bet for what you described. Second choice would be a Spyderco backlock with custom micarta scales - you could do that for well under $200.

I'm in a similar situation to you. Have you considered a keychain knife, or do you need something in the 3" range? Something like the Spyderco McBee on your keychain would work with all the tasks you mentioned, and is easier to carry than a separate knife. I have a custom 2" Brad Zinker on my keychain as my EDC.

For Sliceyness, I think Boker Exskelibur I (S35VN) is hard to beat in the modern variety.
Very thinly hollow ground blade.
Though, Boker is hit or miss in the fit and finish department.

Spyderco Chaparral (CTS-XHP) is small but a really good slicer and might be good as a secondary knife in your pocket.

Last edited:
Benchmade 940. If you want to class it up go with the 940-1. Carbon fiber and S90V, but it’ll cost you unless you search the secondary market(good prices to be found there). The standard 940 or the 940-2 should work depending on your scale preference, aluminum/G10 respectively.

I am a professional but don’t wear a suit. I would like an EDC folder for basic utility tasks like opening boxes, cutting string or twine, zip ties etc. I would likely never use it for significant bushcraft or other hard uses but may take it on a family camping trip and cut a marshmallow stick etc.

To meet the above goals I’ve focused on something fairly thin and slicey. Price range is under $200 but under $150 is even better. I would like a higher end stainless but mid level stainless is ok too. I don’t want to have to worry about corrosion (within reason). No length restrictions for Carey here so I’m thinking 3.25 to 3.5”. I want it to be nice to look at and really would love a natural linen type micarta scale (Ace Biblio looks beautiful but I don’t want a blade that wide). I guess I’m looking for the gentlemen’s EDC but in a specific way.

I currently carry a black Mini Griptillian with partially serrated blade (it was a gift) in 154CM. I hate the serrations and would prefer a slightly longer blade and a bit more elegant look. I also wish the blade were a bit thinner to give me that more “slicey” effortless cutting feel I crave. I do tend to carry inside the wasteband on my right hip and wouldn’t mind trying a deep carry clip in which case I may carry in the pocket instead.

MCusta Tactility non Damascus, probably black micarta scales. Looks great, not my favorite color and I don’t love the wood scales but they are an option.

Benchmade Bugout also would be good and the price is good but again don’t love the scale colors.

Ace Iona looks to be great value, great steel, don’t love the available colors and the blade is slightly short.

I’m thinking the Tactility is the best bet but wanted to see if I was missing something.

There are several versions of the Boker Exskelibur.

The one you want is the Boker Exskelibur 1 full titanium framelock. It has one of the most slicey blades I have ever seen on a modern folder and the knife itself is super lightweight and easy to carry.

Just make sure you get the full titanium framelock and not the framelock with carbon fibre front scale. It has an s35vn blade and the heat treat has been good on the several copies I’ve had of this knife.

Btw the Benchmade 940 isn’t a very good slicer all things considered.

A little above your price range, but if you don't mind the assist and the slightly slippery (smooth coated aluminum) scales, the BM Arcane is a great knife with a thin (slicey; 0.09" thickness) S90V blade. I consider this a great dress knife, but the handle is a little slippery. 3.2" blade, aluminum handle, and 2.88 oz.

timthumb.php

37EAE730-ED00-43D7-BDC5-CDE7A4B6FFAA.jpeg If you snag a Titanium 940/943, you can dial up your own color.

Al Mar Ultralights, plain blade. The blades are flat ground. They are thin, light and tend to disappear in your pocket. Very good slicers. I didn't really realize how good they were until I was at a vacation beach house with my in laws. My Al Mar was the only decent knife there, so i used it for all my kitchen prep. Meats, fruits, veggies, it sliced them all. Was better than some of the paring knives I had at home.

Don't get scared off by the AUS8 blade. They do a good job with the cutting geometry and temper.

It has the black linen Micarta handles and it is one of my go to knives when I have to wear a suit and tie.

Ric

The end all, be all of thin, slicey EDC in a high end steel for an affordable price(what a mouthful):

20190625-173215.jpg

Spyderco Endura ZDP-189

Mine's dressed up in some custom scales, but you don't need those. The standard FRN scales are great.

It comes in well under budget and even under really heavy rotation with tons of cardboard, zip ties, and other such nonsense cut I only have to sharpen it once every 6 months. A basic strop with white compound will keep it sharp the rest of the time.

I'm almost as bad as that axis lock doofus, constantly yammering on about ZDP-189, but I use it almost daily and haven't found anything anywhere close to that level of edge retention that didn't rust constantly.

MXG sells a great deep carry clip for about $20. A worthy upgrade. If you decide to go fancy later, @BOOMER52 here on the forums made my scales.

I worked in a similar environment to the OP and have a similar preference for 3.25 inch slicers.

Mcusta makes some really nice knives that fit the bill. Personally I use my Tsushi and Katana before my Basic (I don’t have a Tactility). Watch out for the tip down carry and weak detents though. My Tsushi opened in my pocket cutting me nicely and now gets carried in a slip. I prefer the models with the higher hollow grinds as slicers. Favorite Mcusta I own is a Bamboo but that’s smaller than OP is looking for.

940/943 - I rotate two 943s. Not the greatest slicer in the world due to the sabre grind. It’s a really nice knife but for slicers there are better options.

Bugout with aftermarket scales would be my recommendation every time looking at the original post. Thin stock, high flat grind (almost full flat) - it slices! Probably over the budget but worth it.

Iona - don’t own one, cannot comment

Also recommended - Amicus: really nice blade if you can live with assisted opening in an office environment but has the aluminium scale wearing issues that some of the Mcustas and the stock 940/3 will have. If they weren’t assisted and opened with studs it would be one of my favorite knives.

Al Mar Falcon - the 2mm flat ground ultralight is truly an amazing knife despite being AUS8. The “talon” blade isn’t as good a slicer and is the only option on the bolstered version if you want single hand opening.

Spyderco Memory - discontinued but a really nice gents knife and still available if you scratch around. Scotchbrite the blue off if the colour doesn’t work for you.

Spyderco Caly 3 - 3 inch blade but the choil gives you a four finger grip. Personally I prefer it to a Chaparral even though it has thicker blade stock.

Don’t knock a good old Kershaw Leek .... great value for an office knife despite being assisted and possibly perceived in an office environment as threatening.

Here's my at work knife(Mini Paraframe) for boxes, and plastic straps. Works great, less than 2 oz, has a pocket clip, and is only $7. It's my only Gerber besides the equally tiny, 'Dime' multi-tool. Rust, lost, stolen......no problem.
th

Last edited:
Back