Recommendation? Sliciest flipper?

Hello

I have a very cool ZT0470 but as I was carrying an opined a couple of days ago I was thinking that the 0470 is quite thick behind the edge.... it is good to have some thickness but when you just need to cut some appels it is not something that helps you much ;)

i am quite into ZT and Hinderer for flippers and I realise they are not the best slicers in my collection and by far!
Considering modern flipper I don’t really have one coming in mind that is famous for being a nice slicer

So just for fun and to share some fun What is your sliciest flipper?

Actually I only have my mass drop gent that I consider as a decent slicer

ZT 0900... I kid, I kid, haha. Though that is the only flipper I have left these days. The best flipper-slicer I’ve owned was a Spyderco Domino. Most of my other flippers were ZT’s and they were all bit thick behind the edge, but the Domino was a dream to cut with.

ZT 0900... I kid, I kid, haha. Though that is the only flipper I have left these days. The best flipper-slicer I’ve owned was a Spyderco Domino. Most of my other flippers were ZT’s and they were all bit thick behind the edge, but the Domino was a dream to cut with.

I second the domino! Fairly thin bte. Wish mine flipped a little nicer compared to current flippers but still a fantastic knife. I upgraded to steel caged bearings which did make a drastic improvement though. Its my only Spyderco in XHP!

This afternoon I took the time to put my 0470 on some serious sharpmaker job from diamond to ultra fine rods
I put a secondary bevel and then an edge on it and it has significantly improved the cutting performance of this beast

These three come to mind.
9g9x.jpg

But this one...this one really gets it done.
9g9y.jpg

This afternoon I took the time to put my 0470 on some serious sharpmaker job from diamond to ultra fine rods
I put a secondary bevel and then an edge on it and it has significantly improved the cutting performance of this beast

While I love a performance grind made for slicing on a folder I don't fret too much if it's not the thinnest behind the edge as a reprofile generally will take care of that issue. Once it's time for sharpening out comes the lansky clamp system. Then I'll maintain with a strop and the sharpmaker. I do need to pick up the Lansky diamond hone kit also as all I have is ceramics currently which will get the job done but with super steels that takes a little longer.

The 0470 is a beauty and love the designers work in general. Its on my short list.

IMG_0570.JPG IMG_0571.JPG
Not best for F&F and action.
But hard to beat for its sliceyness.

EXK3.JPG

I forgot about the exskelibur! Definitely super thin! I do wish the lock geometry was better as i like my decade edition alot and love front flippers. I've have even considering buying the base model with the stainless liner lock and swapping out the ti liner lock that kinda lets the knife down. The action on mine is actually really good even with the teflon washers. It's just the sloppy lock face and the weak detent.

While I love a performance grind made for slicing on a folder I don't fret too much if it's not the thinnest behind the edge as a reprofile generally will take care of that issue. Once it's time for sharpening out comes the lansky clamp system. Then I'll maintain with a strop and the sharpmaker. I do need to pick up the Lansky diamond hone kit also as all I have is ceramics currently which will get the job done but with super steels that takes a little longer.

The 0470 is a beauty and love the designers work in general. Its on my short list.
I really like mine. It was STIFF when I got so I exercised it a bunch and lubed it up...
And then...it became perfect. I find it performs great for me!
I have a number of excellent FFG blades to choose if pure slicing performance
is needed. Native Chief, Para 2, Police 4, lil Native.
The 470 is the sliciest ZT I have. I think the profile is fine for EDC.
I consider it a superior gentleman's dress flipper. Feel in hand is luxurious,
detailed machining both external and internal, great marbled carbon...
a nice Sinkevich example. In fact, ALL of my ZT knives are Sinkevich designed!

I love his work.

I second the domino! Fairly thin bte. Wish mine flipped a little nicer compared to current flippers but still a fantastic knife. I upgraded to steel caged bearings which did make a drastic improvement though. Its my only Spyderco in XHP!
Where did you find bearings that fit your spyderco domino?

Production?

Spyderco's:
Domino
Ikuchi

Massdrop FF Gent

WE Deacon

My Matt Bailey Model 2 geek edition is very slicy. So was my Brian Tighe small Tighe Rod.

Back