Recommendation? Sliciest flipper?

The Spyderco Southard is a great cutter, IMHO. I am also a fan of Gayle Bradley and like the Spyderco Advocate Ver 2., another great slicer.

Last edited:
Where did you find bearings that fit your spyderco domino?

I got them from USAknifemaker site and they were a whopping 6 bucks shipped I believe. kept having issues with the stock polymer caged bearings (swelling up?) and not rotating in the pockets. After sanding the edges down a couple times i replaced them and its A noticable improvement. PM me if you'd like more details. I believe the Spyderco southard uses the same bearings also.

I really like mine. It was STIFF when I got so I exercised it a bunch and lubed it up...
And then...it became perfect. I find it performs great for me!
I have a number of excellent FFG blades to choose if pure slicing performance
is needed. Native Chief, Para 2, Police 4, lil Native.
The 470 is the sliciest ZT I have. I think the profile is fine for EDC.
I consider it a superior gentleman's dress flipper. Feel in hand is luxurious,
detailed machining both external and internal, great marbled carbon...
a nice Sinkevich example. In fact, ALL of my ZT knives are Sinkevich designed!

I love his work.

I own a few of his designs and is one of my favorites designers. I've been EDC- ing the 0609 quite a bit lately (RJ Martin design) and love the size and weight along with how much blade is packed in the smaller yet adequate handle. The 0470 has similar specs with a slightly longer handle and was already one i had been pining over before comparing those two and realizing how much I like it on paper. i also very much like how ZT is making more EDC friendly sizes now as compared to the monstrous overbuilt pocket weights previously made.

Any one of these

7A0npZd.jpg

While not a flipper that Centofante 3 is my go to slicer! Awesome thin hollow grind!

I own a few of his designs and is one of my favorites designers. I've been EDC- ing the 0609 quite a bit lately (RJ Martin design) and love the size and weight along with how much blade is packed in the smaller yet adequate handle. The 0470 has similar specs with a slightly longer handle and was already one i had been pining over before comparing those two and realizing how much I like it on paper. i also very much like how ZT is making more EDC friendly sizes now as compared to the monstrous overbuilt pocket weights previously made.

I did not like the giant brick ZT knives much either. I have a 0450 and 0450CF
and they are nice EDC size but not very slicey. I think the 0470 is pretty sweet
in size for EDC and it has a thin blade too compared to some of the bricks out there.
I have carried a benchmade 530 and 531 and found both a pita to maintain. Both
were chippy and obtuse. I am certain a 0470 would be better!
First...20CV. Next...even grinds!
I admit bias though...the 0470 just looks so good and feels even better!

I got them from USAknifemaker site and they were a whopping 6 bucks shipped I believe. kept having issues with the stock polymer caged bearings (swelling up?) and not rotating in the pockets. After sanding the edges down a couple times i replaced them and its A noticable improvement. PM me if you'd like more details. I believe the Spyderco southard uses the same bearings also.
Think you could email/post the link so I could see the dimensions that fit? Ah, they charge $40 to ship to Canada RIP.

Maybe I misunderstood the title. Whip it out, flip it out, flick it out, it's all the same to me ;). Some just take a little longer to reach the fully open position.

I agree deployment method has nothing to do with slicy-ness. Not sure if the OP was looking for a flipper specifically but those are definitely some slicy blades! Love my centofante!

Think you could email/post the link so I could see the dimensions that fit? Ah, they charge $40 to ship to Canada RIP.

Sure I can email you if you're still interested with that absorbent shipping fee:eek: just post your email if you can't PM? I actually found the info emailing a domino seller on a big auction site and come to find out searching here on this forum as well as on Reddit knives there's one particular part number that everyone is using for upgrading dominoes. I'd have to do a little digging to find it but I know I have it. Actually I still have the bag the bearings came in that probably has the info and size etc on it. That's a pretty hefty shipping tax for something as small as a couple pivot bearings and washers but let me know if you're still interested and I'd be happy to share the info. I wouldn't imagine to ship something that small would be more than 15 bucks at most?

It sure does! It is a cutting machine. I love the way the blade looks too!
Only .120 thick at the spine. M4 for toughness and edge retention.
And now only 179....you lucky dogs!!! I paid a lot more!

My only critique...I wanted a stainless blade. So I went nuts and bought 5 ZT
knives. None of them cut as well...but they are stainless.

Spyderco Advocate...Highly recommended. Action? Not as good as ZT.
Cutting performance? A level up. Just buy one and use it...then you will
understand. I am never selling mine...as a spyderco fan I consider it a must own
blade. Finish is superior. The scale edges are full polish. It is an under rated
superior gentleman's carry with zero performance compromise. Light, handy, and
beautiful it leaves little to be desired. And it cuts like mad!

View attachment 1224590 I’ve only had this knife for a little while, since it went discontinued. But I have absolutely fallen in love with this guy. You can open it anyway you can think of and it carries in the pocket amazing. And most importantly it cuts like crazy.

I came really close to picking up an advocate when they were on sale during the discontinuance for 150-ish but they were sold out when I went to pull the trigger except for a few dealers that had them Left and Had them around 180. Sounds like I should've went ahead and grabbed it anyway at that price. Love my GB2 and have tried to score a GB1 several times also on the secondary market but they go quick. I'll keep my eyes peeled for both now.

Not a flipper but Benchmade Doug Ritter M390 griptilian is perhaps among the thinnest behind the edge, thinner than Spyderco Delica, PM2, Military, Hinderer skinny slicer, and a bunch others.

A couple of Civivis are some of my best slicers. The Baklash is 0.012 inches behind the edge with a nice hollow grind, and the Plethiros is 0.0145 inches BTE and has a really tall flat grind. Both have thin 0.118-inch blade stock. Not the fanciest knives, but great slicers. The Backlash also has a comfortable, solid handle, and the Plethiros puts a lot of blade low with respect to the grip, à la SpydieChef.

I have much more expensive flippers that slice well, like the previously mentioned Skaha and the Thorburn L51 Compact, but these Civivi are impressive.

The comments about Civivi are right on. I own a few in VG-10 and 9Cr18Mov. All are wonderfully slicey with good cutting geometry. They are also truly exceptional knives for the money. Fit and finish is comparable with knives that cost twice as much. The action is very nice.

Between the Naja, Baklash, and Courser; I've spent most of this year with a Civivi in my pocket. I carry the Courser as my "fancy dress knife" but like the others, it is a little on the large side. With Christmas on the horizon, I've hinted to my wife that an Elementum might round things out. ;)

Back