Slipjoint for your EDC?

A Slipjoint for EDC?!?
Well .... I've carried them as my EDC for a little while.... Pretty much every day (including school and church days) since 5th birthday in 1960, I've had at least one or two in my pocket. (a 4 blade scout/camp/"demo" knife and a 3 blade stockman, probably 80-90% of the time.)
Sometimes a Barlow, canoe, moose, (large 4 inch plus) sunfish/whaler/British Rope Knife/pocket axe/emergency spatula/elephant toe, or whichever of the 70 odd names it's known as you prefer, or a specialized knife like a Marlin Spike, joins the stockman and and the scout/camp/demo knife.

Admittedly, since 1967 or 1968, the slipjoint has been paired with a Buck 110 or Old timer 6OT/7OT lockback, (or a two blade slipjoint folding hunter) on my belt. Most of the time I use one of the slipjoints in my pocket, though.
Occasionally, for a "change of pace" (ain't talking Picante sauce) I'll put a MAM or Opinel friction folder in my pocket. (Opinel lock ring removed or not used/ignored) However, 99% of the time I only carry multi-blade pocket knives, plus whatever is on my belt.

As long as you don't do anything stupid, like stab, or attempt to cut something with the spine of the blade, slipjoints (and friction folders) are as safe to use as a locking blade or non-folding knife. The normal cutting action forces the blade open; not closed. :)

I still have all my fingers.
My grand parents, the great-grand parents and great - grand parents that I met, and from what I understand, most of my grand parents (and their siblings) going back to at least 4th great (5th great for siblings) all had ten fingers when they passed.
From what I was told when I was a youngling, for the few that were missing parts when they passed, it was from battle damage, frostbite/gangrene, or some other non-knife use related cause, like an automobile accident.

I definitely EDC a type of slip joint everyday, since I carry a SAK daily.
ZLw7r2E.jpg

OP, if you like that Civivi knife, I would also recommend you to look at Civivi Rustic Gent, which is a lockback but in very similar style:
kHCqkxS.jpg

Great execution, seamless bolster and cover, very smooth action with a pull force of 4(5 being SAK, 10 weld shut), solid lockup and no blade play. I personally do recommend this one.

Last edited:
IMG_20210110_070048.jpg I always have a SAK huntsman and a little slip joint on my money clip that are carried in addition to my normal fixed blade and two modern folders.
When lounging around I usually wear sweatpants and the back pocket zippers so I keep a custom made Italian slipjoint in the zippered pocket always!IMG_20200921_100046_kindlephoto-682567522.jpg IMG_20200215_085919.jpg

Last edited:
Do you drive around without your seatbelt on ?
I did ... before seat belts were invented, and when driving one of my then employer's all original/restored to original pre 1964 (give or take) car that didn't come with, or have them, to the car shows.

I pretty much quit driving a couple years ago. Costs too much.

None of my bicycles and adult tricycles that are ridden on the streets, highways, and interstate (legal here "in the west" when there is no alternate route to ride your bicycle or adult tricycle on the Interstates; just stay on/in the breakdown lane, not the traffic lanes, and be careful going past exits and on ramps) have seatbelts (or air bags).
Come to think of it, none of the motorcycles I had over the years had them either. :)

Just curious as to who uses a slipjoint knife for their EDC?

I've carried a locking blade as my EDC for about as long as I can remember. Currently a Dragonfly 2...it is just so lightweight and sharp!

I've been looking for a 3" or less flipper as my new EDC and came across the Civivi Appalachian Drifter Slipjoint and I may be in love...with it's Damascus blade and G10/Rose Carbon fiber handle it's just amazing (IMO)!

https://pics.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/civivi/images/CIVC2015DS1n.jpg

The only concern I have with it is it being a slipjoint...which I'm not used to carrying. So I'm also looking at the Elementum and Little Fiend.

Looking forward to see who uses a slipjoint!

TripleB67

I carry a Spyderco UK Penknife (3") or Urban (2.61") everyday. I switched over from lockiing knives because of the place I am currently living and I thought it would be a problem. It isn't. The finger goes in the choil and the thumb on the top of the tang so the knife cannot close. That, combined with a strong back spring makes this knife super safe. Good steel choices, too.

https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-c127pbk-urban-light-weight-2-61-n690co-plain-blade-frn-handle/

https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-c94pbk-uk-penknife-leafshaped-2-93-cts-bd1n-blade-black-frn-handle/

https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-c94pdbl-uk-penknife-2-95-cpm-s110v-plain-blade-dark-blue-frn-handle/

I have mutliples of these knives in different steels. I love 'em. I think they are safer than any liner lock.

Seat belts???
Personally I don't wear it. As a truck driver for the past 25+ yrs I've seen just as many accidents where people were unable to get out of a vehicle and suffered burns n such!! I'll take a broken arm, leg whatever over burns any day.

I have personally pulled just under a dozen people out of cars who were trapped by their seatbelt over my career. Also, seatbelt laws are nanny state crap. Just another example of someone thinking they know best.

There are quite a few people out there happy that I carry a knife!

My thoughts probably aren't popular, but I believe when its your time to go it your time!!! Doesn't matter if you're sleeping, driving, playing pool or darts, screwing around with your preferred bumpin uglies partner, takin a dump, walking in the woods, at church or whatever.

Live each day like it is your last because eventually it will be!!

I'm in the SAK camp as well. I always carry a Recruit along with my i3t in a homemade slip. I use the SAK everyday, however, I also carry a modern folder as well (retired and the CCP virus keeps me at home anyway) but the SAK is less likely to get people heated up. If I have to go anywhere (I live twenty bucks from anywhere) I take the car keys that have an SD Classic attached.

I greatly appreciate all the responses so far - fantastic hearing how many people carry slipjoint knives daily and hearing all the experiences you've had as well as the knives you carry. This is definitely an educational experience for me...not only hearing about the variety of knives people carry, but also hearing about the knife laws in different areas and how they dictate what you carry!

Several of you mentioned having to use two hands for your slipjoint knives - I think that's why I was looking at the Civivi Appalachian Drifter...it does have a long nail nick, but it's also a flipper (which, I would think, makes single hand use possible). It also has a deep pocket carry clip which I typically look for in an EDC. It has a double detent slipjoint "locking" mechanism which I'm not too familiar with though.

Several of you mentioned SAK knives - I have several of those and love how useful they are with all their tools and how they just hang out at the bottom of your pocket just waiting to be used. Unfortunately, I've got a 45 year old habit of biting my nails so I prefer knives that don't have me rely on a nail nick to open (I know, I know, I should at least grow out a thumb nail so my choice in knives isn't limited :D ).

Again, thanks for all the incredible and fascinating information you've passed along so far!

TripleB67

Last edited:
When I was 12 years old, dad gave me a scout knife as I was a Boy Scout. It was the standard pattern scout knife with one slip joint blade and slip joint can opener, bottle opener, screw driver, and awl.

I just turned 80 years old this month. I'm still using slip joints, and in spite of a lifetime of backpacking, canoe camping, motorcycle camping, hiking, fishing, some hunting, Harry home owner handy man, mini van driving soccer dad, grandfather, veteran of a foreign war, still have all my fingers.

I've had a couple locking knives, and they didn't last long with me. Just too limiting in real world use. With just one blade, that blade proved too big/wide/awkward too many times and they got given away. My most used pocketknives that proved worth their weight were a Buck 301 stockman, and a variety of SAK's. I never encounter any situation where I needed a lock blade. If I did need a knife that I didn't worry about folding on me, I had one. Its called a fixed blade, or what in my day was called a sheath knife since it is worn in a sheath on the belt. I have no idea why they call it a fixed blade, since it's not broken.

Having a pocketable size knife with a choice of two or even three blades with different shapes, and even different edges, is just too good a cutting tool to pass on just because the blades don't lock. Used with just a tad of common sense, you won't cut yourself unless you do something stupid. And then you learn from the experience and don't do that again.

Now as an old fart, and spending a lot of time fishing and tinkering with stuff around the homestead, my pocket knife if choice is a SAK. Just too handy to not have in a pocket. But, I even carry a friction folder on occasion. An Opinel used without the lock, like the number 4 and 5 Opinels, a Sardinian Resolza that guts a fish like magic, a Japanese Higonokami that opens boxes and packaging like a zipper.

I won't carry anything but a slip joint, because of the massive increase in utility of the multiple blades. Since I'm not eliminating enemy sentries, engaging in combat of nay sorts, angering the drug cartels, or pissing off the local motorcycle gangs, I don't need a high speed low drag operators knife. I just need to cut something on an everyday basis. If I need a weapon, then thats what my CCW is for.

Edit to add; I don't even own a lock blade knife at this time and haven't for many years. But my old Buck 102 woodsman is carried on my hip very often for fishing and woods walks.

Last edited:
I like a good slipjoint, but I have never used one of the double detent style.... much less flipper.

I was interested in one at one point, it was the Artisan Cutlery Small Archaeo. It's a sweet little piece that comes in a bunch of configurations, so many in fact that I couldn't really decide which one I needed and ended up buying a bunch of other stuff instead. Never actually got back to it. I did have it narrowed down though between the orange and black G-10 jobbie or the carbon fiber... both of which were the damascus bladed versions.

I like the look of the Appalachian Drifter though, but I'm still not enough of a flipper guy to get that version, I'd grab the Rustic Gent. But that's just me.

I greatly appreciate all the responses so far - fantastic hearing how many people carry slipjoint knives daily and hearing all the experiences you've had as well as the knives you carry. This is definitely an educational experience for me...not only hearing about the variety of knives people carry, but also hearing about the knife laws in different areas and how they dictate what you carry!

Several of you mentioned having to use two hands for your slipjoint knives - I think that's why I was looking at the Civivi Appalachian Drifter...it does have a long nail nick, but it's also a flipper (which, I would think, makes single hand use possible). It also has a deep pocket carry clip which I typically look for in an EDC. It has a double detent slipjoint "locking" mechanism which I'm not too familiar with though.

Several of you mentioned SAK knives - I have several of those and love how useful they are with all their tools and how they just hang out at the bottom of your pocket just waiting to be used. Unfortunately, I've got a 45 year old habit of biting my nails so I prefer knives that don't have me rely on a nail nick to open (I know, I know, I should at least grow out a thumb nail so my choice in knives isn't limited :D ).

Again, thanks for all the incredible and fascinating information you've passed along so far!

TripleB67

I bite my nails too brother. That's why I love the Case Sodbuster. You can easily pinch it open with no need of using your nails. Not to mention the awesome CV steel.

My SAK is an awesome knife, but I can't pinch open the blade or tools. It's an ALOX model, so it has even stouter back springs.

I bite my nails too brother. That's why I love the Case Sodbuster. You can easily pinch it open with no need of using your nails. Not to mention the awesome CV steel.

My SAK is an awesome knife, but I can't pinch open the blade or tools. It's an ALOX model, so it has even stouter back springs.

Carry a pack of gum and chew like mad. Its hard to bite your nails with a wad of Wrigglys spearmint in your mouth. Or carry some Altoids mints. Then you get to make all kinds of neat little first aid kits and mini survival kits out of the emtpy tins. It you stop biting your nails, a whole new world of pocket knives will be open to you!:thumbsup:

Never owned a slip but while looking through the twosun knife models the ts123 caught my eye...the titanium and copper handle looks awesome. Plus m390 steel... Might have to get one eventually...

Back