Slipjoint for your EDC?

I do very much admire your SAK and LM mods. It is always a pleasure to see them on the multi-tool forum.
Thank you Sir! Looking forward to doing this mod. I finally have my own drill press so I'm hoping for much better results than dealing with the mess that the ham fisted idiot at a local machine shop had made of drilling out the pins on my SAK's so that I could go ahead with the mods. It's finally under my control so I'm hoping for much smoother results.

What I learned from this is that traditional-style slip joint knives tend to have much better blade geometry than modern locking knives and just cut well.
You cut card board or an apple with a well-made slip joint knife and would laugh at many of modern locking knives with thick stock and edge about how badly they cut and slice.

This. Thin bladed slipjoints just seem better designed for the average cutting tasks of a pocket folder. Anything I do that requires the beefiness of a thick-stocked modern folder is probably better served by a fixed blade.

I always have an SAK Tourist in my front pocket. Always. And it gets used several times a day. I started out with a Spartan, but one day in a Victorinox store I came upon the Tourist, which is basically a slightly smaller Spartan. I found that the Tourist fits in my pocket more comfortably.

Yeah, as it was pointed out, a folder is broken by definition, I would not use ANY folder in a way that it could accidently close on me.
I have a VIC Alox Bantam with me daily, but only the combo tool gets use to pry off staples in the office.

My actual EDC is a BK14 that sits unnoticeably in my right front pocket. Does everything and more without having to think of accidently closing when using it.

I do like the aesthetics of modern folders, but I live in Germany and funny as it is, I am allowed carry up to a 4,72" fixed blade knife, but no one hand locking folder.
Love the Spyderco UKPK, an efficient cutting tool. I would love to have more choice in one hand opening slipjoints...

I have a pocket sheath and it has a BK-14 and a SAK Alox Electrician on me at all times

The classy, shiny one is a useful multitool (AMAZING Awl and screwdriver for light prying) and I use the main blade for apples / food

Amazing combo

It's a bit insane that you can carry a Spyderco Jumpmaster... But not a Dragonfly / ladybug

I LOVE my Manly Wasp and if I was you, it'd be on me at all times.

Svord Peasant knives are a great design for a fraction folder that can't close on your hand.

Bastinelli makes a similar design, only more modern design and materials.

Just saw yesterday that Spyderco is coming out with a FFG UKPK salt in LC200N

I have a pocket sheath and it has a BK-14 and a SAK Alox Electrician on me at all times

The classy, shiny one is a useful multitool (AMAZING Awl and screwdriver for light prying) and I use the main blade for apples / food

Amazing combo

It's a bit insane that you can carry a Spyderco Jumpmaster... But not a Dragonfly / ladybug

I LOVE my Manly Wasp and if I was you, it'd be on me at all times.

Svord Peasant knives are a great design for a fraction folder that can't close on your hand.

Bastinelli makes a similar design, only more modern design and materials.

Just saw yesterday that Spyderco is coming out with a FFG UKPK salt in LC200N

Yep, BK14+Vic is a great combo:)

I saw the UKPK Salt and it just went on my list. It is a bit crazy with the laws here, but at least I can carry some knives...

However, I like one hand opening folders and there are some really good slipjoints out there.
If my job would prevent me from using a fixed blade, I'll switch to a slipoint.

If the Manly Wasp would be one hand opening I'd be all over it :)

I have around three dozen knives and only four of the folders have locking blades. Two lockbacks and one liner lock traditional, only one "modern" style liner lock with a pocket clip which I only rarely use, a Boker Gent II. Slipjoints work just fine for anything I'd use an EDC knife for. For the small game hunting that I do I would rather use a fixed blade to avoid cleaning blood, hair and such out of a folder.

I've a few slip joints and the one I am most enamoured with at the moment is a sj obtained from SMKW. It's a Rough Rider in VG-10 with the blue metallic scales and black bolsters, that is screwed together. A superbly made slip joint.(period) keepem sharp and stay safe

PS Best $14 I've ever spent on a knife

Back