Slovenia Ebay Axe heads

Any of you guys ever buy one of these? Usually "Rare German Quality Forged"...blah blah blah. Any of you the guy who sells them??? I just kinda like the pattern and of course, I'm just generally interested in other axes. Always looking for something different. But I see these all the time so I'm guessing there is nothing rare about them. But, the price isn't rare and if they are good enough quality, I can overlook the rest.

Thanks for posting this I've wondered this myself. I put an offer on one once but the seller wouldn't move on the price so didn't go through with it. Interested to hear about any experiences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've also been curious. Some look like reworked regular axe heads, others look completely hand forged. Strange that they would use the make an offer feature but not budge.

It seems that there are several sellers using the same “Rare German Quality Forged”… expression in the listings.
Could be a default marketing talk regardless of the actual origin or rarity of the items.

For example the following axe looks like a typical Russian carpenter axe made in the USSR:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1-72-LB...K-WITH-SIGN-/152158142305?hash=item236d54ff61

Rare? German?

Seems that seller doesn't know anything about axes which is selling...
This is strange...
The price is excellent for the quality of the russian topor listed!
Even in Russia these are rare.

Seems that seller doesn't know anything about axes which is selling...
This is strange...
The price is excellent for the quality of the russian topor listed!
Even in Russia these are rare.

One of the few examples when the lack of knowledge comes back to bite the dishonest seller rather than the lucky buyer. :D

On the other hand, if there are enough people who are enticed to buy the “Rare German Quality Forged” items, why bother with knowledge or learning?
He/she can use the time to procure or make even more “Rare German Quality Forged” items, so there will be no shortage of those “Rare German Quality Forged” ebay listings. :D

Some do look like reworked heads, some don't but the stamps/marks seem centered (more or less).

Who knows? The Topor one ipt mentioned looks like it takes more finesse to put together than some of the others.

I feel as though they refresh at least twice a day. Might be my imagination.

"Always there. Always rare."

*The plus side is wood might have some time to dry by the time it got here. :)

I don't personally know any of the sellers,though i've a number of axe-maniac friends in Eastern Europe.

Littleknife is right on about it,and something else that i've noticed is that the axes offered range among many,many styles and countries of origin.Many of thosa ARE actually German(naturally,German manufacturies dominated the region for a Long time...).

Some axes offered are quite old,and hand-forged,some of a known type or even recognisable maker,so just going on pointlessly...Each must be judged (as best as one can)by the info provided....

(It CAN maybe be fun to discuss a few of more interesting ones,see what consensus would contribute...)

I don't personally know any of the sellers,though i've a number of axe-maniac friends in Eastern Europe.

Littleknife is right on about it,and something else that i've noticed is that the axes offered range among many,many styles and countries of origin.Many of thosa ARE actually German(naturally,German manufacturies dominated the region for a Long time...).

Some axes offered are quite old,and hand-forged,some of a known type or even recognisable maker,so just going on pointlessly...Each must be judged (as best as one can)by the info provided....

(It CAN maybe be fun to discuss a few of more interesting ones,see what consensus would contribute...)

So maybe no hot linking current listings? Could be seen as promotion.

Would it be acceptable to save then personally host the pictures?
That would be the same as anything else shared here as far as internet picture fodder goes.

Removes the connection to money and we are talking about them and not for them?

JB- it reads well out loud after seeing it again.

"Limited rare vintage German artistry set to steel from the heartland and foothills of Slovenia."

What's not to like about that? :)

JB- it reads well out loud after seeing it again.

"Limited rare vintage German artistry set to steel from the heartland and foothills of Slovenia."

What's not to like about that? :)

And forged out of the finest unobtanium in all the Virgo Supercluster.

What so basically one of us just needs to bite the bullet? I know for those of you who land axes for $5, it's high but $40 doesn't scare me off, particularly if I can buy two and sell one hung to pay for the project. Which is often how I try to work out my projects more or less. I'd kinda like to get a 2 to 2-3/4 pounder and do a 24/28" handle or something to that effect. Just for a little brush axe. But it really looks like I could get damn near any weight, any day of the week.

I have one in my watch list that says "DIN 7294 1250" ... looks drop forged to me. Really square corners, neatly finished. Another says "DIN 7294 1250G CLASS B". I presume 1250 is the weight, which comes out correctly when converted to lbs and compared to the description.

I think you are probably right about biting the bullet. One of those more tomahawk style ones is on my short list. But I've sworn off buying until the ongoing projects finish up. I'll look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...I have one in my watch list that says "DIN 7294 1250" ... looks drop forged to me. Really square corners, neatly finished. Another says "DIN 7294 1250G CLASS B". I presume 1250 is the weight, which comes out correctly when converted to lbs and compared to the description.

Wikipedia says that the "DIN" standards date back to 1975, and another source says that DIN 7294 (the German standard for axes) is dated 1/1/1972, so this should give a general indication as to how old the axe might be, if it has that stamp.

hmmm. Not what I was planning to spend money on and a good reason for me to stay off ebay. But the seed is sewn and curiosity tends to get the better of me. I just ordered a regular CT Hudson Bay to tweak and make a handle for which was kind of an impulse buy.

What you guys have dug up sounds encouraging though.

The only photos that i can see are in the link Littleknife has posted above,in the "people who viewed this also viewed..." section above.

I'm not really good at id'-ing german axes,but those with a "nail-puller" look to me like WWI-WW2 engineering axe...The other,Hudson bay looking job,is commonly known as a "Rhine type".
For what it's worth,here's a link to a thread titled "Typology of German axes",off of a russian-language resource....http://rusknife.com/topic/18369-немецкие-топоры-типология/page-6.....

There are some charts,i believe,and some old catalogues....plenty images,anyway.Maybe it'll help...

Топор плотницкий...

Back