• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Slyz Bowie ….. and for sale she goes!!!

So is it a good sign that everyone that has been buying a knife joy slyz bowie immediately sells it? Is it what i thought when i bought the original years back?? … Yea not bad good for a $230 knife…… . What are your thoughts? Over priced at the retail cost?

Not overpriced, obviously people are making money re-selling, and likely bought it for that reason, and for the challenge.

Whether it's worth it only you can decide.

Yeah lots of folks looking for an easy buck and quick flip will zero in on knives like that.

The important thing to remember about that particular knife is that there are going to be more runs including a pre-order so if you missed it and really want one start salting some cash away now.

Don't feed the flippers who "just wanted to see what all the excitement was about but 2 days later are selling it for 25-1000% over list".

True, i always liked the slyz bowie from years back and i felt for $230 on the secondary market thats what it was worth. I thought i saw the knifejoy models going for $450 retail which i thought was a bit high for what the knife is. But people pay more for anything they cant get so I get it.

Last edited:
Never heard of it. Can yall show some photos of it?

Never mind. I googled it - Yuk!

Never heard of it. Can yall show some photos of it?

Never mind. I googled it - Yuk!

243028d1391006232t-bring-back-old-calling-look-indiana_jones_grail_knight-you-have-chosen-poorly.jpg

J/K ;)

I sure do like mine. I won't carry it until I can get a duplicate. I really love the aesthetics and ergos of it. I wish it were dark bronze and maybe a cherry or brick red backspacer, and that the blade was stonewashed mirror finish like the original. It is nice to know I could sell it in 30 minutes at cost + fees + shipping. I enjoy chasing limited drops and it helps my hobby if they're also things I can sell later and lose no money on. Heck, I funded my last purchase on Friday (Koenig Arius) by selling two CPKs, and they were sold and at the post office before DLT even shipped my new knife, and we all know how fast DLT ships. Checkbook balanced!

Is the only difference between the original and the Knife Joy version the blade steel? My Slysz is CTS-XHP and it looks like the new one is M390?

Also, is the original a $230 knife? My memory is of it being $299 and then briefly ~$279 when discontinued before the prices shot up for the last in stock items.

Is the only difference between the original and the Knife Joy version the blade steel? My Slysz is CTS-XHP and it looks like the new one is M390?

Also, is the original a $230 knife? My memory is of it being $299 and then briefly ~$279 when discontinued before the prices shot up for the last in stock items.
The new one is M390 and has Spyderco's usual machine satin finish instead of the mirror stonewash on the original. The new one is anodized a dark blue instead of plain tumbled titanium. That's basically it. You are right, the original was $300.

It’s overpriced. I have the knifejoy one and while a decent knife, it’s probably worth $300 at best. Provided, it’s not available anymore, it’s iconic and has had a lot of hype when it was discontinued. I’d say if you really need to own one try and find one around $500 or less at best. I paid a little more than that for mine but in hindsight I would have passed.

A few of my observations on the knifejoy version…

What I don’t like:

The anodization on the scales is too easily scratched. I literally carried it in pocket for 1 day along with a plastic car fob and it permanently marked up a section on the scale. It’s a weird chalky feeling finish as well. Would have much preferred a bare titanium stone wash finish like the original. I hate the black plastic backspacer, just feels cheap. The frame lock has no insert or over travel stop. It also covers half the spydie hole making it a bit tricky to spider flick. The price, of course. Even at the original MSRP I feel it was over priced.

What I do like:

The blade is excellent, the crowned spine is a nice touch. Nice gimping. Gotta love his makers mark. The action is really good and solid. Great steel (M390). Excellent quality control as you would expect. Surprisingly slim and great ergos. The contouring on the scales and chamfering on the edges make it a very comfortable knife to handle. No hotspots in my hand. I also really like the wire clip, especially over Spyderco’s standard clips. Carries deep enough in pocket as well. Tiny lanyard hole is on side of clip not above like on the PM2’s or the Para 3.

Just my 2 cents. (Edit: and now I just realized I’m responding to a post that is a year old, sorry)

Last edited:
Dealers will be stupid if they do not request exclusives of this knife given how crazy the secondary market prices have been.

At $400 for the KnifeJoy resurrection and lord-knows-what for the OG, it’s got nothing to do with the poor man.

In fact, back when the original was in production, one of its criticisms (justified or not) was it’s price being in (or at least close to) Sebenza territory.

Back