• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Small Fixed Blade

I do a lot of wilderness canoe camping and I normally have a small saw and hatchet with me in addition to a fixed blade carried on my belt. I am looking for opinions on the smallest fixed blade that would still be capable of handling a bad situation - think capsize and losing most or all of your gear. I have a Swamp Rat Howling Rat that works great but is a little bit uncomfortable when sitting in the canoe. Do you guys think something the size of a Busse Game Warden or a Bark River Woodland would be enough or should I work on a more comfortable way to carry the Howler?

Thanks.

the woodland is an awesome knife... you should also check out the bark river PSK knife... that is a great little fixed blade, very stout and tough for it's size....

also the mikro and mini canadian's are worth checking out....:D

mike

What about just having a sheath made to move the knife you have someplace else? Shoulder rig etc. Just an idea. Oh wait I know...you just want a new knife and this is the best way to swing it by the wife. lol I just tell her that mine is dull and I need a new one.

Another vote for the Woodland. I have one and love it.
The Howling rat comes in somewhere between the Woodland and a 6" to 7" chopper. A little more capable in the chopping category but the Woodland is much more comfortable to carry.

You won't be disappointed with the BRKT.

I say you should get a new sheath for the Howler. Perhaps a synthetic neck sheath would take care of you best. One of the advantages to a neck sheath is that you can use it effectively no matter what you are wearing (parka, PFD, space suit...). They are also nice for when you're in a sitting position. Try Normark, a.k.a. Eric Noeldechen from On-Scene-Tactical.

I do a lot of wilderness canoe camping and I normally have a small saw and hatchet with me in addition to a fixed blade carried on my belt. I am looking for opinions on the smallest fixed blade that would still be capable of handling a bad situation - think capsize and losing most or all of your gear. I have a Swamp Rat Howling Rat that works great but is a little bit uncomfortable when sitting in the canoe. Do you guys think something the size of a Busse Game Warden or a Bark River Woodland would be enough or should I work on a more comfortable way to carry the Howler?

Thanks.

I usually leave an emergency knife strapped to my vest as for as emergency capsizing goes it surves as a rescue and improve camping knife.

as a back up though I find a packable knife in my WSK or day pack of no more then 4 or so inches works fine and I usually put it on my belt when I get to camp. In that range there are plenty of options.

Abe

There is a picture of me sitting in a canoe with a MOD Kalista around my neck in the "Unless you are in a desert" thread.

I love the kalista, it is a perfect size and even though it is designed for SD it has a very utility blade shape and neck carry is great for canoeing. My kalista now carries a magnesium firestarting kit and a lansky dogbone on the sheath, if I capsize I have my basic tools with me. Chris

Picture706.jpg

Picture707.jpg

Thanks guys. I have thought about the neck sheath but the Howler seems a little large and heavy for that. I have a nice sheath from On Scene that would probably work for a trial run. If that doesn't work out, I'll be forced to get a new knife and try one of the smaller blades.:thumbup:

The company is no more, but a good supply of Schrade Sharpfingers survive. They are small enough to be unobtrusive on the belt while canoing, hiking, etc., but large enough to be very useful field knives. Best of all, a new in the box example can still be had for fifty or less.

O4M,

Don't listen to the "new sheath" guys! You need a new knife. Get a Woodland from Bark River and report back here ASAP.

Sorry Hondo & bishop. Never talk someone out of trading their hard earned cash for a sharp thingie.

:D

C

Ha! A new knife is always the answer, even when there is no question! Buying knives is fun!

outdoors4me said:
...think capsize and losing most or all of your gear.

I've thought of that. That's why I carry a 5 3/4" Frosts stainless 'new-age' Mora in the back pouch on my PFD.
View of the back and pouch:
PFDGear002.jpg

Front of PFD with contents of pouch.
PFDGear001.jpg

With the knife is tinder/starter (vaseline cotton balls), a Lansky Dog Bone, and a Permanent Match. Any of the Mora-type knives make great back-up pieces. In fact, I've been using them more as my primary tools lately.

Hikeeba,

Where did you get that Serratus? That is one nice PFD. i wouldn't mind picking up one (possibly two) of those.

My current PFD's are the typical no-pocket Cabelas brand vests. Fine for the local rivers where survival isn't an issue but I have a trip sheduled for the St. Lawrence river in up-state/1,000 islands NY in the summer. My Grumman SportBoat will be put to the test on the bigger waters and a PFD like that would be perfect for what I have in mind.

Thanks,

Chris

I've been really intrigued by a knife of the Howling Rat size or even the M6 in a horizontal carry. Thinking across the back in a lefty kydex sheath turned sideways. Anyone else try this and have opinions?

Oh that's a sweet PFD, makes me think I need a new one.
outdoors4me, I personally wouldn't go under 4". I enjoy the same sport and own a HR that a carried last year. I used 550 cord to get it down to mid thigh and it worked well, but you can buy a sheath made to do it. I also duct tape a cheapy combo edge fixed blade knife to my thrawt, "CRK&T 5160" that is easily excessable so I'm not using the one on my person while on the water, just in case. I personally don't put a knife on my PFD anymore because I've broke two of the metal clips and lost a nice Bench Made, dang things just seem to snag on crap for me. Another option I have considered lately for the PFD is a Spyderco remote release II hanging from one of the D rings.

Good luck
Helle

I've been really intrigued by a knife of the Howling Rat size or even the M6 in a horizontal carry. Thinking across the back in a lefty kydex sheath turned sideways. Anyone else try this and have opinions?

Yep I like it, but if your carrying a pack with a hip belt it's a hassle.

Helle

The company is no more, but a good supply of Schrade Sharpfingers survive.

Codger, are you gettin' some kind of commission? Stop tellin' people about Sharpfingers, I'm tryin to track one down myself :D

I second runningboar's recommendation about a smaller, neck-carried knife. I just got a Becker Necker a couple weeks ago, and I'm really happy with it. Low-profile, small enough to be really convenient (not to mention, legal to carry), dirt-simple and tough as nails. Mine cost me about 2 hours' pay... and I work cheap!

The Howling rat is a nice knife, I would look for a way to wear it around the neck, or just a better rig. The shoulder rig idea might work? Horizontal rig, maybe?

There is no reason not to buy another knife, you can't have too many :)

But, it would be sad to leave the Howler behind, given it's a knife capable of quite a bit.

I would go with an Anza F-4. 3" and tough enough to handle just about anything. Think a wood handled Mora on steroids. 1/4" thick and a great knife. Also, it won't put a big dent in your wallet; about 40 USD on ebay. I have two of them and just recently started carrying it again. I tried to do without it but it's just too darn good. That's my vote anyway.

Anza doesn't get enough credit for the quality blades they make IMO. Give it a look.

Back