1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Small gentlemens knife for every day use

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Gerard1971, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Gerard1971

Gerard1971

Aug 10, 2013
    Good morning all,

I am GJ from the Netherlands and I am searching for info and tips.
    Looking for a small folding knife that I can wear every day in my pocket.
    So no collectors item (although it's tempting) but a good ''tool'' for a reasonable price.

I really hope this whole knife thing isn't going to grow into ''another'' addiction :D

Looking forward to your input.

Kind regards,
    GJ

2. fishface5

fishface5

Feb 3, 2001
  3. Gerard1971

Gerard1971

Aug 10, 2013
    Thanks for the tip, I will post it there as well..!!

Regards,
    GJ

4. Gerard1971

Gerard1971

Aug 10, 2013
    Good morning all,

I am GJ from the Netherlands and I am searching for info and tips.
    Looking for a small folding knife that I can wear every day in my pocket.

* between 7 and 9 cm in length
    * single blade
    * for every day use
    * and I do not like plastic on the handle

So no collectors item (although it's tempting) but a good ''tool'' for a reasonable price.

I really hope this whole knife thing isn't going to grow into ''another'' addiction :D

Looking forward to your input.

Kind regards,
    GJ

5. Marc9910

Marc9910

Apr 25, 2007
    Hi, have a look at Great Eastern Cutlery 73 Scout. Perfect edc slip joint.

6. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    mcusta tactility?

7. Locutus D'Borg

Locutus D'Borg Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Do you want to open one-handed? Do you want a pocket clip?

8. galactorrhea

galactorrhea

Jan 1, 2013
    Case Sway Back Gent.

[​IMG]

(photo snagged from "ots 15" in the traditional knife carry thread)

9. Planterz

Planterz Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 26, 2004
    7-9cm length...is that the blade length, or the length of the knife closed? Do you need stainless steel, or are you OK with carbon steel?

10. mrdeus

mrdeus

Mar 6, 2012
    Depends on where you draw the line for gentleman's folder, but I've been carrying the Spyderco Caly 3 with carbon fiber handle and zdp blade a lot.

11. Concat

Concat

Jul 16, 2013
    Out of the cheap bin we have a Kershaw Indian Ford. I like mine well enough.

[​IMG]

12. Gerard1971

Gerard1971

Aug 10, 2013
    Open one handed and a pocket clip not necessary.

13. Gerard1971

Gerard1971

Aug 10, 2013
    7-9cm is the length on the knife in folded position.

14. Gerard1971

Gerard1971

Aug 10, 2013
    That is a nice knife, can you tell me something about the quality of this particulair knife?

15. LX_Emergency

LX_Emergency KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2007
    scratch my mcusta suggestion.

How about an AG Russell regular curved Jack?

Or an AG Russell lockback Barlow?

16. LX_Emergency

Jun 28, 2007
    Thought you might like some pictures with that?

Regular curved jack in jigged bone (they also make a smooth white bone version)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or the lockback barlow? Available in yellow delrin (not what you'd like), Black Rucarta (micarta, probably not what you'd like either) or Cocobolo:

[video=youtube_share;8AQE3cZjAHQ]http://youtu.be/8AQE3cZjAHQ[/video]

17. Unk

Unk Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Kershaw Indian Ford - I had that knife with Micarta inlay and carried for many years - I was a "Gent" and that was my knife. Kershaw replaced it when I did something dumb [ dropped it on a hard surface and damaged the pivot area] - I sent for repair at my cost, they replaced at their cost. Probably carried close to but <20 years.

I gave that replacement knife to my oldest grandson who still has and is now a "Gent" - I'm just old and retired.

Kershaw won my loyalty with a great knife and then went above and beyond when I inadvertently damaged it.

Best.

18. Wolf_HR

Wolf_HR

Jun 22, 2013
    Well, my latest purchase is a perfectly elegant gentleman's folder that's at 11.5cm a bit over the size you specified (alack, when opened is sure to cause panic among womenfolk and such, because then it shows its true nature and heritage), but I will propose it just to keep it off the well trodden path:

[​IMG]

It's a Miguel Nieto Navaja- for the price you pay, I think it's in $30 region, you get great quality, F&F, and I'd say an amazing knife (and a strange impulse to hum 'Mack the Knife' every time you open it)...

19. Cypress

Cypress Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Lots of traditional suggestions. When I'm in need of a gentlemen's knife, I grab my Benchmade 480-1 Shoki.

[​IMG]

20. cchu518

cchu518 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Crkt tribute micarta handles! Centofante inspired!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013