Small Inkosi Pocket Clip Issue?

No biggie for me. My problems sorted. Purchased new clips.

Although, with new CRK purchases I will ask the dealer to check before they ship. Being in Australia is cost prohibitive as far as shipping anything back to the states is concerned.

A few months back I received a new off centered Damascus Mnandi. Shrugged it off as I plan on using it.

I love CRK’s and am a loyal customer but these two QC issues are not something that I would have expected.

I think if you had told them you had a problem with the clips and described and showed them pics, they probably would have just sent you what you needed. That was mostly my point I guess.
Totally understand about the shipping to Aus..I have done it a few times. Time + cost can be pretty ridiculous! Have heard similar stories on Italy..Not sure what the import fees are in Aus, but Italy is around 30%

Sorry if I came off confrontational, that certainly wasn't my intent!

Bill

Scotcha Scotcha That really is a bummer. An already ‘relatively’ pricey knife adding more money and months of down time is a bummer. I would not hesitate to call CRK and express both concerns. If we don’t tell CRK about QC issues then how will they know? Your pic of both of those clips is very telling and CRK should be informed.

I have to say, I buy CRKs for their rock solid warranty and service. Embarrassingly, I’ve already had to use that service, and without hesitation, CRK delivered beyond my expectations.

bhyde bhyde Thank you Bill. No problems at all. I will contact CRK and am sure they will rectify the situation.
Fortunately there is no Tax/ Duties on imports of under AU$1000 but the shipping costs are very high.

HST HST Thank you and as above I will contact CRK. Am sure any issues will be resolved. Was not worried about the clips as such but you are right that they need to be made aware if there are any issues.

Thank you gentlemen.
Abe

I got a new Small Inkosi Insingo with black Micarta Inlays a few weeks ago and the clip was also bent like the clip in the start post. I first thought that i might had caught on something, but now as i see the pictures it seems to be normal.
But my first reaction was to order some spare clips directly from CRK and they all look exactly as the one in the start post...
The Clip on top is one from an older Small 21, the lower one brand new.
31258479mp.jpg

I will ask Tim about this and get back. Seems like a pretty recent change.

The Clip on top is one from an older Small 21, the lower one brand new.

Have you installed this on a knife yet? I'm going to take a look when I get home but I have a few spare clips from a recent order. I'd be interested to see if it looks the same as the OP's post.

:( I don't like to hear these recent issues! , keep us posted.

In all fairness, the increased bend aids in clip retention and seems like it would make it harder to bend the clip out accidentally, so I wouldn't necessarily call it an "issue". It's just different and a simple fix if you happen to not like it that way. Easy peasy. ;)

I guess I'm confused, is this the new standard and improved or is this just hit and miss qc? Any input would be great. Gonna be ordering a new inkosi this week. I happen to like the original clips.

I have bought dozens of CRKs over the years, even one brand new just recently straight from CRK. Never have any of them been like the one described by the OP. Every clip has been consistent, and as bhyde bhyde stated these are die formed. I can't understand how this type of problem would happen.

I do know of at least one very popular dealer that is known to restock customer returns as brand new items. Not at all saying that is the case here, but the clip shown is not something I would expect from CRK.

And as mentioned, contact them directly they will take care of any issues.

I just checked two recent clips and they look a lot more like the bottom than the top. Doesn't look the same as the OP's clip/bend though, more subtle and as mentioned probably increases tension in the pocket.

So this isn't a new design ? Just wanna learn as much as possiable. I've owned 5 new CRK knives and all have been perfect BUT that's when Chris was still the main man. This inkosi will be my first in recent years. I still own and carry 3 sebenza's just wanna get a WC. INKOSI !!!!!!! Lol. These are my current edc' and all older than 2014 and older
5H0QT1n.jpg

I received a response from Tim;

Yah, he can just press right in the middle to bend it into the shape he would like. Yah total non issue, and is basically the point of having the spring clip.

Thanks!
-Tim

And FYI, these clips are made by a third party vendor. You will see the same clip on CRK, Microtech and Piranha Knives (there may be one or two others).

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. Are these wrong or the new standard clip? I know we can bend them back but at these prices and the history of Reeves brand we expect perfection out of the box.

Thanks bhyde bhyde . So I’m assuming this is the new norm with the clip.

No idea- It's possible that the clips were formed that way from the beginning and back bent at or before assembly.

That's what I'm trying to figure out too. Are these wrong or the new standard clip? I know we can bend them back but at these prices and the history of Reeves brand we expect perfection out of the box.

Not sure I understand the statement. When i asked the question of Tim, I gave him the link to this thread. I would assume that he has read and seen the pictures and didn't really seem concerned with it. Maybe it's the new norm and you are expected to set whatever bend you like to suit your particular needs? Not sure because the statement is somewhat ambiguous.
I am heading over there Thursday and will see if I can get some further clarification in person. Personally, I am not worried about it because I have bent them back after bending them out on a seatbelt and had no issues.

I'm a welder and sheet metal man by trade. Bending metal is nothing for me BUT on a knife pushing $500 and touted as the strictest tolerances in the industry should we really need to??? I appreciate you looking into this with Tim also. My statement above is asking if this is a "new clip" design ? Or just a few that slipped through QC? when I think Chris Reeves I think perfection.

If it is a design change, it has not been well thought out at all. The double retention which is a brilliant design in the clip becomes useless plus the clip protruding more has a greater chance of getting caught on stuff.

I think that it is more likely that these slipped through the cracks just like my off centre Mnandi. I agree with cut it out cut it out , while bending the clip is not a big deal the buyer should not have to do that.

Don’t think a buyer who has saved for months for their first CRK would be very impressed.

Back