Small knife challenge

• Yes I accept

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • No I don't accept

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • I'll think about it

Votes: 11 13.6%

• Total voters
I've been sporting a tactical x-acto knife from X-acto, it definitely fulfills my armchair ninja needs😎💥🔥

Cu1C4uE.jpeg

Still going strong.

I have mainly used my folding utility knife for work and my Cold Steel Tuff Lite on my days off. My biggest complaint is the handle size. I have XL/XXL hands and want a larger handle for more control. The blades have performed as expected.

April 9 to May 9 , one complete month using my basic edc rotations.
Today is Small 21, SAK Spartan with Luau print, Enzo 70 in black Micarta and a Schrade SC513 I bought in 98.

PXL-20240509-200303923-2.jpg

PXL-20240509-200037297-2.jpg

So I have managed to get by with just these two knives/tools since I started this challenge. Even going on a hike, i resisted the urge to carry something larger (because I knew I really wouldn't need it). The Hera does about 90% of the cutting chores. The Charge usually is used when I am either using the tool for something and need a blade to strip a wire or something or I want to use the serrated blade for fibrous material. I think the Hera gets the nod so often because I have really grown to appreciate the bayonet grind on such a small knife. It's counterintuitive, but it actually works better on a smaller knife. The jimping gives me a place to choke up on the blade, obviously. Also, I have kept the "false" edge (though it is fully sharpened) a bit toothier and robust. The primary edge is polished smooth. Having that little hard use edge saves the "good" edge for cutting finer things. Being so close to my hand makes for some really precise cuts.

PXL-20240509-202143466-2.jpg

I forgot about what I carry in my boot... yep. Under 3" ;)

PXL-20240509-200303923-2.jpg

PXL-20240509-200037297-2.jpg

So I have managed to get by with just these two knives/tools since I started this challenge. Even going on a hike, i resisted the urge to carry something larger (because I knew I really wouldn't need it). The Hera does about 90% of the cutting chores. The Charge usually is used when I am either using the tool for something and need a blade to strip a wire or something or I want to use the serrated blade for fibrous material. I think the Hera gets the nod so often because I have really grown to appreciate the bayonet grind on such a small knife. It's counterintuitive, but it actually works better on a smaller knife. The jimping gives me a place to choke up on the blade, obviously. Also, I have kept the "false" edge (though it is fully sharpened) a bit toothier and robust. The primary edge is polished smooth. Having that little hard use edge saves the "good" edge for cutting finer things. Being so close to my hand makes for some really precise cuts.

PXL-20240509-202143466-2.jpg

I forgot about what I carry in my boot... yep. Under 3" ;)
Friendly reminder, don't choke up on that otf, just saying, your thumb will be mad at you

Friendly reminder, don't choke up on that otf, just saying, your thumb will be mad at you

Thanks, mom. I'll try to be careful, but it's almost like the jimping on the spine was designed to be used exactly that way ;)

I will say that retracting the blade with my thumb in that position may be a bad idea.

Thanks, mom. I'll try to be careful, but it's almost like the jimping on the spine was designed to be used exactly that way ;)

I will say that retracting the blade with my thumb in that position may be a bad idea.
I don't own an otf, but I always thought you were suppose to retract it by pushing it closed with the adjacent palm, wowzerz, learned that one just in time😜

Back