(Small Knife Recommendations) Best small 2.5ish blade knives

Hey I was thinking if a rat 2 is to long for you, you could use a file to give it a clip point and shorten it up.

Well, if you really wanna go inexpensive ....

Kabar Mini Dozier in AUS8 for under $20. Kabar does a decent job with their AUS8. I have a few of the bigger size Doziers and have given several as gifts.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ka-Bar-Mini-Dozier-Folding-Hunting--16665

You can pre-order a Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 in AUS8. I'd stay away from the 4043 steel on the mini/micros.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS...on-1-spear-point-aus8-plain-blade-g10-handles

I also like the Spydero Cat at $65ish.

Giantmouse Ace Riv is my favorite in the size range you mentioned. The dragonfly 2 is also a great choice for 1/3-1/2 the price of the Riv. I just got a Baby Banter for Christmas but haven’t carried yet. I’m not sure how you use your knife but for basic box opening and minor tasks don’t overlook the Manbug or Ladybug. They don’t get much credit but they‘re great secondary/backup knives. The Roadie from Spyderco is another. I don’t own one but I’ve heard great things about them. I must say though, the Riv has become an all time favorite.I included (hopefully) a photo for size comparison.
796FC1AD-9C7D-4AE3-A6AD-3F4EE9F56649.jpeg

Last edited:
Opinel #5, at $12 not much to cry about if it goes missing from your bags. The Buck 55 and Buck 503 are about the same size.

AM-JKLWiVCiUJb84KKQFm3FMeh9xa3RpltfWajmx0MhEGxJua5BTDVyUf5PSnzI5A0TKVqJEO70aQhjDN4gG5Qnueibn4UNAq3iYK_Z6m9KH3nzhfFl04W9EhHPyC8ih5UPMP5W8SyqD4dGG-9zdPQit9Hp7=w1024

O.B.

Well, if you really wanna go inexpensive ....

Kabar Mini Dozier in AUS8 for under $20. Kabar does a decent job with their AUS8. I have a few of the bigger size Doziers and have given several as gifts.
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Ka-Bar-Mini-Dozier-Folding-Hunting--16665

You can pre-order a Cold Steel Micro Recon 1 in AUS8. I'd stay away from the 4043 steel on the mini/micros.
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS...on-1-spear-point-aus8-plain-blade-g10-handles

I also like the Spydero Cat at $65ish.
I'm also gonna recommend the Cat. Seriously stout for a small 5th pocket knaf!

Opinel #6 stainless, thin is in and will not break the bank if lost.

I am very happy with my two Chaparrals, two Cadets and a Dragonly 2 Salt SE. I am considering the wharnie DF2 in K390 also.

Surprised to read earlier someone commenting that the Giantmouse Ace Riv is hard to open... I haven't had any trouble at all. I use the flipper tab, or use both my thumb and middle finger through the blade hole if it don't want it to be as "quick" looking. Great little knife.

GM Ace Riv by Jason Folkers, on Flickr

I am very happy with my two Chaparrals, two Cadets and a Dragonly 2 Salt SE. I am considering the wharnie DF2 in K390 also.

I have the Wharncliffe Dragonfly in VG-10. It's fantastic. It's become an MVP for its size and can be carried when other things are more challenging. As much as I love it and enjoy using it though, I often prefer a straighter-handled knife like the Mini Begleiter for clipped carry in my right pants pocket.

Surprised to read earlier someone commenting that the Giantmouse Ace Riv is hard to open... I haven't had any trouble at all. I use the flipper tab, or use both my thumb and middle finger through the blade hole if it don't want it to be as "quick" looking. Great little knife.

GM Ace Riv by Jason Folkers, on Flickr
I don’t have any problems opening mine either. The flipper tab works with various styles of work gloves too. I normally flick it open with my index or middle finger though. The method you described works well too. Trying to open it with my thumb only is a lost cause though. I think I’ve only accomplished that feat 3 times since bought it.

Buck 55 (really nice one up as Buck of the month right now), or a nice slipjoint. This one wasn’t terribly expensive and it oozes class and character. Fits perfectly in the little watch pocket.

Civivi odium, WE Thug, Spyderco Dragonfly, spyderco techno, CRKT Pilar, mini-natrix, Fox Baby Core, CJRB Maileah...

Too many to list!

Out of these, I think I like the Odium the best.
I forgot about the odium. I bought my dad one last year and from what I recall it would meet the OP’s criteria very well. Good suggestion!

Definitely check out the Kizer shard. The black micarta looks and feels great and the blade is all utility. It’s just a 3 finger knife but still feels great and solid in hand. Also won’t break the bank. It’s my favorite to wear with shorts as it disappears in the pocket.
IMG_6588.jpgIMG_6590.jpg

I don’t have any problems opening mine either. The flipper tab works with various styles of work gloves too. I normally flick it open with my index or middle finger though. The method you described works well too. Trying to open it with my thumb only is a lost cause though. I think I’ve only accomplished that feat 3 times since bought it.
Thumb only is my preferred method and, like you say, it takes some work.
Thumb and finger -- well, that's just too difficult to stay off the lockbar, which essentially freezes the lock.
Flipper is the most reliable (and least satisfying for me.) But that means using more pressure than for the other small folders in my collection. Or for my full-size Biblios.

Thumb only is my preferred method and, like you say, it takes some work.
Thumb and finger -- well, that's just too difficult to stay off the lockbar, which essentially freezes the lock.
Flipper is the most reliable (and least satisfying for me.) But that means using more pressure than for the other small folders in my collection. Or for my full-size Biblios.
That makes sense. If someone prefers thumb only for opening I certainly couldn’t recommend the Riv based on my experience with it. For my hand size and shape flicking it is by far the easiest method. It definitely keeps me occupied while I’m at my desk anyway. The flipper is a bit boring but does work well with gloves on. I prefer the Riv over my Biblio but I also prefer 5th pocket carry and the riv disappears in my 5th pocket. Also, the finger choil on my Riv is bigger than the one on my Biblio so oddly enough the smaller knife feels a bit better in my hand. Both cool knives though. I’ve carried the Riv every day since I got so it‘s made all my other knives pretty angry.

Back