Small thin locking folder?

The dozier/SAK classic option btw, gives you good reason to buy 2...
(w/ mini scissors)

I 2nd this. At this price range, that’s a hard combo to beat.
I like the Buck slims, but mine both developed enough blade play that they only get used in the kitchen now.

Last edited:
Don't you need a bottle opener on that boat ? Check this out: https://toolguyd.com/milwaukee-fastback-knife-multi-tool-5-in-1/.
Good point, go with a Victorinox Rambler, rather than the Classic, and you'll get a bottle opener and a cracking mini-Phillips as well.

I will caution you though, in a moment of clarity, you might realize this is actually the only knife you really need. Or, pair it with your tactical folder, which will have a properly hard blade steel and big enough to cut food. For a fisherman, add a fillet knife and you're all set.

Ontario Rat 2 in AUS8 has a nice blade profile and proven track record.

I would also recommend a Spyderco LadyBug or ManBug in H1. Very small, very light, and basically disappears when carrying it. Plus, zero corrosion concerns.

I second this. Either a Rat 2 or the Manbug in H1. The Rat 2 has a really nice thin blade that is a slicer for sure. Super easy to sharpen as well. But, if you can spend the funds to get into Syderco's H1 knives, that's the best option if it potentially will be getting wet a lot. Leave it in the bottom of a bait bucket for a couple weeks and then just wipe the slime off. Good as new and no rust. Maybe a little stinky?

I cannot recommend enough the Spyderco Ladybug Salt. I have the hawkbill version. It is a mini chainsaw and it cannot rust. It is 10 bucks more than your budget and worth every cent. There is a Manbug Salt, also. These knives have a 1.95" or about 2" blade in a small, light package.

Have you considered just having a pair of line nippers attached to a lanyard around your neck? That's what I do.
Agree. Some pliers like this in the $10-20 range plus one of the small, inexpensive knives mentioned above.

71uN0SCI%2BRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A Spyderco Chaparral is a fantastic thin bladed slicer of a pocket knife. So is the Dragonfly, which is smaller still. The Dragonfly Salt even has a high hollow ground blade so it is very thin towards the edge.

Save up a few more dollars and get a Dragonfly Salt :thumbsup:

This!

Buy once, cry once if you really need a good water knife. I have mine on a neck lanyard when in the kayak. Have a full size Pacific Salt in the pocket.

If all you need for is to cut line, nail clippers are your better friend. You can get the drug store ones for $2 or spend $100 on a pair at Orvis.

Spyderco ladybug is great,have one i bought 15 years ago,nowadays theyre way overpriced for what they are,but its amazing keychain knife.

Back