Small, tough work knife.

Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,055
Looking for
1. < 2.5" blade length
2. Thin blade, closer to a SAK or a traditional folder. (Not leaf shaped) NOT a thick or wide "Tactical" blade.
3. S30V Steel
4. One hand opening (closing doesn't matter)
5. Locking blade (any mechanism).
6. Must fit in watch pocket of jeans.
7. Must be under $100.00US (no customs)

Examples:
Spyderco Dodo is too large and the blade too wide.
Spydie Kiwi is close, but VG-10, and may not fit #6.

Any suggestions? I know this may be a toughie, but If anyone would know... it'd be you guys... ;)
 
Joined
Aug 8, 1999
Messages
5,052
Get a Wegner Mouse. It has a blade just under 2" and it is flatground S30V. You can get one with a G-10 or carbon fiber blade. The G-10 one can be had for around $75 before shipping. Checkout Wegner's website or Bladeart's site.
 
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,055
anthony cheeseboro said:
Get a Wegner Mouse. It has a blade just under 2" and it is flatground S30V. You can get one with a G-10 or carbon fiber blade. The G-10 one can be had for around $75 before shipping. Checkout Wegner's website or Bladeart's site.

The mouse looks good. I would like a bigger long/wide blade ratio, like the Kiwi or like a clip/drop blade, but the mouse is perfect otherwise and it may be close enough.... hopefully I'll get a few more responses so I have others to compare to.

Anthony, that was too fast, give someone else a chance. :rolleyes:
 
Joined
Jul 17, 1999
Messages
571
Does the knife need to be shorter than 2.5? I would recommend the Spyderco Paramilitary if you can have a bit longer blade.
 
Joined
Oct 15, 2004
Messages
37
:) Frost Mouse Knife, SMKW # FR 591B, $4.99. Try it before you laugh too loud. I've carried and used one for 9 years. Handiest pocketknife I've ever owned.
 
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,055
Lukers said:
Does the knife need to be shorter than 2.5? I would recommend the Spyderco Paramilitary if you can have a bit longer blade.

Sorry, the p-mil fails on #1 and #6 above. I want a small blade and it has to fold very small. Thanks for the suggestion though.

The suggested mouse would be good, but I prefer a less-wide blade.
 

Esav Benyamin

MidniteSuperMod
Joined
Apr 6, 2000
Messages
90,915
Benchmade Big Spender. The 154 CM, 2.25" blade is 1.125" wide, and the knife is 3.5" closed. The body is a mirror-polished stainless steel framelock. The clip is wide with a large open center to serve at need as a money clip.

Out of production, I believe, but occasionally available at well under that $100.
 
Joined
May 6, 2004
Messages
347
klattman said:
Looking for
1. < 2.5" blade length
2. Thin blade, closer to a SAK or a traditional folder. (Not leaf shaped) NOT a thick or wide "Tactical" blade.
3. S30V Steel
4. One hand opening (closing doesn't matter)
5. Locking blade (any mechanism).
6. Must fit in watch pocket of jeans.
7. Must be under $100.00US (no customs)
that knife doesn't exist and you know it. ;)

how about you change a couple requirements? such as the blade steel? maybe even the budget? :D
 
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,055
BlindedByTheLite said:
that knife doesn't exist and you know it. ;)

how about you change a couple requirements? such as the blade steel? maybe even the budget? :D

Okay, you caught me. ;)
I thought it might not exist, but I had not convinced myself.

I'm open to other high end steel suggestions...

(You guys need a challenge anyway) :D
 
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,055
Esav Benyamin said:
Benchmade Big Spender. The 154 CM, 2.25" blade is 1.125" wide, and the knife is 3.5" closed. The body is a mirror-polished stainless steel framelock. The clip is wide with a large open center to serve at need as a money clip.

Out of production, I believe, but occasionally available at well under that $100.

Good suggestion. I'll look into it.

So far I have:
1. Mouse (but blade a bit wide)
2. BM Big Spender (but 154CM and have to find one -- all the ones I can find are 440C)
 

cpirtle

Leathercrafter
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Joined
Mar 28, 2001
Messages
4,232
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,055
cpirtle said:
Now that we've got that out of the way... here's a few to look at. (Links to AG Russell for reference)

Benchmade Benchmite
...
Spyderco Kiwi (Can be had for >$100)

There's more but that should keep you busy for a bit ;)

I relaxed the steel requirement, but not the one hand requirement. That's the tricky one. :p

Benchmite and kiwi are definite possibilities. I mentioned the kiwi above, but would it fit in a watch pocket? Probably. How different is VG10 and S30V in edge holding?

So I guess we've found them all?
 
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
68
I recently started carrying a Benchmade 773 with a boron carbide coated blade. The blade on it is 2.9" long and .09" thick. That's a little more length than you were wanting but I sure am enjoying mine. Don't think it'll fit in a watch pocket though.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2004
Messages
761
G'day,
I second the Benchmite--it should work really well.
If you have a larger watch pocket, try the Lone Wolf Angelo Fluted folder--it is also slim and neat. I can recommend the price at Crocblades.com.
Greg
 

HoB

Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
2,611
Big spender in D2 and Ti handle if you can still find one.

IMHO VG-10 and S30V are very comparable in edge holding. Sharpenablility VG-10 may be even slightly better. Corrosion resistance and toughness (not that it matters much on such a small knife) is supposed to be better on S30V.

Personally, I'd take either.
 
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
8,436
The kiwi does fit in the watch pocket of jeans (at least Levis). I am kinda particular when it comes to blade steels, and I have had no problem at all with the VG-10 on the Kiwi.
 
Joined
Aug 27, 1999
Messages
4,531
Spyder5co Navigatior. VG-10 blade small enough to be handy, large enough to be useful. Can be had from Smoky Mtn. Knife Works for $30 on closeout :D
 
Joined
May 2, 2003
Messages
3,582
The Spyderco Native fits the bill perfectly. Except that the blade thickness is 1/8". The blade length is close to 3" but the edge is around 2.5". If you're not familiar with the Native, it might be worth checking into. For something even smaller, I'd check out the Benchmade Benchmite 3100. This is one cool little auto.
 
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
1,055
fudo said:
Spyder5co Navigatior. VG-10 blade small enough to be handy, large enough to be useful. Can be had from Smoky Mtn. Knife Works for $30 on closeout :D

Awful close with the navigator, the SMKW is serrated though, I did find the plain edge at twice the price. (Sorry I prefer PE, but it is tempting at that price!)

So far the benchmite and kiwi are in the lead, followed by the mouse and the navigator. The others suggested are a tad too large.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! As I feared, there are now too many choices.
:D
 

Danbo

Platinum Member
Joined
Nov 28, 1999
Messages
14,979
How about a Spyderco Spur? VG10 is a great steel. I would put it right up there with S30V. If you try a VG10 bladed knife, I can guarantee you won't be dissapointed. I'll see if I can scrounge up a picture of the Spur. I have one of these, and mine is plain edge. It's a real pocket scalpel, I'll tell you that.
 
Top