smallest real axe

smallest axe that is still a usable tool....

who makes them...I know gerber makes one and so does G.B. but are there any other choices

picture.php

Jeff

Don't know what a sounding axe is for. Maybe for thumping the tree to see how solid it is. The smalles hatchet I have is an old Marbles. Next is the Norlund. Like a small trappers axe.

Firestone marketed a mini hatchet that weighs about 6oz. The OAL is about 10 inches. The handle is mineral reinforced nylon, and the blade is stainless flat stock. The whole outfit is configured to be used like a ulu knife as well as puny chopper. It won't pound in tent stakes. The blade is only 1/8" thick.

My Craftsman mini-hatchet:D
I think these were made in the 40's-50's
Back when you could give a little kid a hatchet:eek:
2373611616_b0b5bf783f_b.jpg

I can't search, but I saw a thread a long time back where a guy split an enormous log with one of those Vaughan hatchets. I guess it works!

bot a " Bridgeport " boy scout hatchet last year in a junk store for $5. great little hatchet!!!!:thumbup:

That is a fine lookin' little Craftsman Trent Rock. I saw one just like it yesterday at an antique mall for $10... I might have to go back and grab it. :D

Jeff

I used this bad boy to chop some kindling.Craftsman 10 1/4" overall.Weighs in at a whopping 8.9oz.

Attachments

• ax-mini.jpg
    ax-mini.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 77
Back