Smoke needed

I have never asked before, but I need prayers and smoke.

April 28th I go in for "Total Joint Replacement" of my right knee. Anne and I went to a class on "Joint Replacement" yesterday. I wanted to quip, "Should we bring our own rolling papers?" Gotta keep your spirits up, and I remember the 1960s like yesterday!

This means 3-5 days in the hospital. Major surgery, folks. I am nearing 63 years. Not looking forward to this, but the prognosis is good.

The procedure
http://health.allrefer.com/health/knee-joint-replacement-knee-joint-replacement-prosthesis.html

The surgeon is well-recommended. The stories I hear about the success rate indicate this is something I will appreciate once the surgery and healing are over. Everyone says they wish they had done it sooner.

The Surgeon
http://www.pocatlanta.com/content.cfm?page=henry

Right now, I have trouble walking and the pain medication sometimes makes me goofy. Maybe a few uneven posts.

There is also getting info from my dentist, cardiologist, periodontist, regular MD / GP that they feel it is OK for the operation. Massive butt covering procedure!

So,

Smoke 1, That all my doctors agree that I am healthy enough for the surgery. I feel sure that I am. If there is a soild reason not to, I want to know, otherwise I am ready for this. And YES, I am nervous about having "Major Surgery!" Never been in a hospital overnight before.

Smoke 2, That the operation goes well and I come out the other end singing and dancing! I used to love dancing, but have not been able to for about seven years because of my knee. Also used to love hiking.

Smoke 3, that I don't go nuts from the inactivity of waiting to heal and that I do exactly what the doctors and therapists ask so that I will have full mobility and a good recovery.

You got it, Bill. On all accounts:)
1.) I think you'll be fine. You're upbeat and ready to go. That's a good sign. You're not acting like an "old man" about this. You see it as an opportunity to enjoy life more:)
2.) Back to #1. Your upbeat attitude is going to allow you to do whatever you set you mind to. You'll be busting a move in no time, i'm sure.
3.) Take it easy and don't rush it. I have a crippled pinkie because i rushed a surgery's healing process. Play some xbox or something:)

Smoke and best wishes. It is a major ordeal, but most of the men in my family had it done at about half your age. We are a family of strong backs and bad knees. Keep us posted:)

Jake

Bill you got it fom me pal:D
Where i am, a knee costs $23000:eek:
I have been crunching around for years - Awaiting results with bated breath!
Last payments on house nxt year. If it is good for you, will go for it:thumbup:
Good luck!

You got it. Your spirit is most important for all healing processes, and it seems you have a good one. Bring your own rolling papers, it might make the hospital stay more fun ;)

Keno

You will be included tonight Bill...one of the good guys for sure.

Bill let me know if you need anything. Prayers from here. I can come down there if you need any lifting done.

When I was a PT aide we rehabbed lots of these in people much older than yourself. You should be fine. Make sure they put the right replacement in there (right vs left). Seen them get that wrong before. I've also known people who go so far as to write, "The other knee" on their good knee with a sharpie before surgery. Seems like overkill, but better safe than sorry. I wrote my name on Hannah as soon as she was dry enough for the marker to stick. Nurses laughed at me, but I've still got my kid. What hospital are you going to be admitted to?

You'll be fine Bill, heck you'll be better than fine. Pain medication? Won't need that stuff anymore when that knee don't hurt anymore. Prayers and best wishes for a successful surgery, and a speedy recovery. :thumbup: :D

Sarge

Can do, Bill.

Friend of my dad's had that. Both knees.

Worked out fine. Worry not.

Mike

When the operation is over the important part begins. I think there are things you will have to do to insure best results. My friend Clayton just had this done.

you got Prayers from the munk compound, my friend Bill Marsh.

munk

You got it, Bill, on all counts.
Linda is putting you on her prayer chain.
12 years ago I was told to start thinking about joint replacement, but with the cane have managed to avoid it.

AnonymousIf you remember the sixtys, you weren't there.

You're one of the good guys, Bill. Hang in there.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Bill, my Mom had one done at 70 and one at 78. You'll do fine. She had very little pain after leaving the hospital. They probably won't have you sitting around very long. They want the thing moving. The only thing that won't be comfortable is the physical therapy. But you'll handle it fine.

Smoke tonight!

Steve

Smoke 1, That all my doctors agree that I am healthy enough for the surgery. I feel sure that I am. If there is a soild reason not to, I want to know, otherwise I am ready for this. And YES, I am nervous about having "Major Surgery!" Never been in a hospital overnight before.

You are healthy enough. I understand the major surgery apprehension, but this is a cake-walk for the caliber of surgeon you have. The "overnight" business IS scary. I don't blame you a bit. Did the Atlanta Police ever catch "The Mad Flusher" and his ten-gallon enema bag? Not to worry, it's unlikely he'll pick you.

Smoke 2, That the operation goes well and I come out the other end singing and dancing! I used to love dancing, but have not been able to for about seven years because of my knee. Also used to love hiking.

I haven't heard you sing, so...don't try and trap me into that one!! Dancing? Well, ok. As long as you don't join those square-dancing cults that caravaan from city to city, reeling as they go.

Smoke 3, that I don't go nuts from the inactivity of waiting to heal and that I do exactly what the doctors and therapists ask so that I will have full mobility and a good recovery.

There is an implicit presumption in this that I will ignore. You will be fine. Impatient and cranky, yes. Anne will suffer the most, so get her some flowers now, lest she crack and coat the kitchen floor with Jello. Plan on some jewelry for her later.

I'm glad you can afford to get it done, and I know you will find this a great decision, Bill. Tell us when it is to happen, and we'll focus the healing ray on you.

Be well and safe.

Bill, I had my right knee done in 1999, things went well, the scary part was when the nurse had me write on my LEFT knee "NOT THIS ONE !".
4 days in hospital, walked out on a cane. Back at work (gingerly) in 4 weeks. I should have had it done years before.

Smoke from Boise, you'll be fine.

Dick

Bill -

My dad has had a knee problem since college days. Football stuff. He lived with it for nearly thirty years, and finally got it done last fall. He is 57.

Two days in the hospital (it is a major surgery), and he walked out on a cane. The PTs get you up and using as soon as you are comfy doing so.

After months of physical therapy, my dad says his knee feels better than it has since he was in his twenties. Not bad, huh?

Smoke and prayers. But you are gonna be out north of Hotlanta real soon, hiking, as you used to.

Let us know how it goes.

Back