• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Smokey mountain knife works is awesome to vist.

William Duncan

Gold Member
Anyone every been to Smokey mountain knife works? I have lived in Tennessee all my life and never been till yesterday. I gotta say I spent 4 hours in this store and never looked at the same thing twice. The prices were a little high, but the store itself is amazing. All kinds of stuff to look at. If your ever in Gatlinburg, TN check it out. I went to pick up a gun at buds gun shop and what do ya know. Its right next door.

It's quite the experience. Overwhelming amount of things to look at. My wife spent about two hours looking at victorinox kitchen knives and all the cooking gadgets they have. She spent more than I did!

Do you know if the prices in the store were the same as their prices online?
I want to say they are higher in the store than online ,can't say for sure because I was a little overwhelmed in there with the selection,but I was kind of shocked at the prices,didn't notice the catalog/website prices being higher than average. It would make sense though ,must cost a lot to run that place

Prices are high, but the vast amount of product there let me handle a couple knives I wanted and now changed my mind cause I got to touch them instead of internet looking. Lol, I did find my next spartan blades kinfe though.. The staff is really friendly.

I have trouble with SMKW since they took over the National Knife Museum and then 7-years later reneged on the deal. Not really a friend of the knife enthusiast. I'd visit, but not sure I'd ever buy anything. They're in it for the money and they will take as much from you as possible. See the related GB&U thread on them as a retailer.

I have trouble with SMKW since they took over the National Knife Museum and then 7-years later reneged on the deal. Not really a friend of the knife enthusiast. I'd visit, but not sure I'd ever buy anything. They're in it for the money and they will take as much from you as possible. See the related GB&U thread on them as a retailer.

Curious as to what you are referring to on the reneged part. Details please.

When the North American Knife Collectors Association folded, they had to close their museum. SMKW offered to set up the museum in their new (I think) store. The museum was there for ~7 years until SMKW reneged, the museum closed and the collection returned to makers or given to other museums.

Last edited:
Wife and I spent 3plus hrs there May 2018.. WOW!! There is so much to see and being able to handle different knives I was able to eliminate some I thought I would like.. Ended up dropping $400.00 there.. Good thing they are not close as I would be broke.. All the salespeople were super.. Love them or hate them it was an adventure for us!!
John

Back