Snarking in a Becker Wonderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see myself more likely to live in Finland, my lifestyle fits there a lot more than it would fit in the Scandinavian countries. Per capita they drink the most coffee, have the most metal bands, and are ranked as the happiest country in the world (as of 2018). As an introvert most of the Finnish stereotypes fit me pretty well, they seem to value personal space and generally don't small talk.

My kinda place.

Urgh, I'm in deep trouble. My participation in the Traditional forum's forum knife polls in expectation of buying my first real traditional has really ignited my interest in traditional folders (it's the only genre of knives that I have yet to purchase), and now I can't stop looking at potential slipjoints to buy. This isn't good, last time I was this into looking at knives to buy I had 5 Beckers in the mail simultaneously...

Urgh, I'm in deep trouble. My participation in the Traditional forum's forum knife polls in expectation of buying my first real traditional has really ignited my interest in traditional folders (it's the only genre of knives that I have yet to purchase), and now I can't stop looking at potential slipjoints to buy. This isn't good, last time I was this into looking at knives to buy I had 5 Beckers in the mail simultaneously...
I understand this. Spyderco did the same thing to me recently, especially with their Manix 2. The sickness is pervasive. Lol

Matt - any specific patterns, brands, etc... catching your eye?
or are you thinking you just want to dip your tow into the waters with a vintage user?

Matt - any specific patterns, brands, etc... catching your eye?
or are you thinking you just want to dip your tow into the waters with a vintage user?

I’m definitely getting the GEC 86 forum knife, but there are a few others that are very intriguing although I think most are disco’d. The CK exclusive Italian ones are very cool, the LionSteel roundhead and Viper EZ-open are calling my name something fierce. More classic styles that I’m liking are the GEC 43 and 21, and the 15 in the beer scout setup.

I’m definitely only looking for users, so whatever I decide I wanna get is gonna get carried if possible.

CK has some early reserve Roundheads planned that I’m probably going to jump on, and I’m definitely waiting on the forum knife to get a grasp on if a classic style is my thing, so I’m not sure I’m in the position to buy anything right away but shopping around has certainly piqued my interest.

I think Beckers are the exception and not the rule. Full disclosure I have about 30 vintage Buck 110s and 112s lol

Scratch the former William Wallace account, haha. I made a few mistakes, that I have painstakingly corrected. This stuff makes my brain spin. You'll see what I mean...

Okay, here goes. My 26th great grandfather, Adam Wallace, had a son, my 26th great uncle, Malcolm Wallace. Malcolm's son was William Wallace, my 1st cousin, 26x removed.

Crazy, but it was about to get mind blowing crazy.

John Wallace, my 19th great grandfather, had a mother and father, both with the last name of Wallace. His father's side leads to what I mentioned previously to get to William. His mother, Ellen, my 20th great grandmother, had a mother, Helen Baillie. Helen's father was William Braillie III. His wife, get this, was Elizabeth Wallace, my 23rd great grandmother, and the only child of William Wallace! William's wife, was Marion Cornelia Braidfute. She was the one that got her throat slit in the movie Braveheart. She was only 21 when that happened, and only 18 when she and William met. Although that movie was largely historically inaccurate, that did happen. To sum it all up, Sir William Wallace is not only my 1st cousin, 26x removed on one side, he's my 24th great grandfather on the other side! Freaking me the hell out, haha.

Haha, thanks man. I had like 20 tabs open, going back and forth to verify this and that, then applying it to my family tree. I do this often, but sometimes it gets too confusing, so I bookmark all the tabs, and my family tree, then come back to it later. A lot of work, but very interesting. Amazing how many family members there are out there. I've known for years that the bluegrass singer Ricky Skaggs was related to me, and figured out the connection not that long ago. My great grandmother on my mother's side last name was Skaggs, that's where the connection was. I found an article where Ricky Skaggs said that his 8th great grandfather was Peter Skaggs, brother to the famous Henry, Charles, and Richard Skaggs, all called "Longhunter". Those guys are my 7th great uncles, obviously Peter is as well. That means Ricky Skaggs 9th great grandfather, Peter's father James Skaggs, is my 7th great grandfather. Ricky Skaggs and Loretta Lynn are cousins too. Loretta's maiden name was Webb. I've come across that name as well, so she is more than likely related to me as well. Loretta Lynn's cousin is Patty Loveless, real last name Ramey. Loretta Lynn's mother's maiden name was Ramey, so Patty Loveless may be related to me too. I normally just do the mother/father line, but when I want to know something in particular, I add the brothers and sisters to be able to make the connection. Windy, aren't I. :p
20190318_134327.gif

Last weekend. Hopefully it was the last gasp of winter. I'm over it now. Come on spring!!!

You're in Upstate NY, right? Puh-leeze! Winter'll be over by mid-April or so, whether you like it or not. Grew up in Rochester (NY) and we had 9 months of winter followed by three months of bad sledding weather....Here in my native NH (born in this Rochester, LOL) we seem to regularly get snow into April. Hell, the best skiing on Mt. Washington in Tuckerman's Ravine doesn't even START until April - when the chances of being buried alive in an avalanche begin to fade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back