So how is the post-GSM Quality Control on Cold Steel blades?

I never really thought much about this before, but I recently ordered a new Ti-Lite, and I have since been reminded of all the hubbub over the acquisition of Cold Steel by GSM, complete with rampant speculation over potential decline of QC under new management. I tried searching for results, but like most of these things, there isn't much information to go by and few folks have directly discussed the matter since the acquisition took place.

So, to those who have recently purchased anything from Cold Steel, what is the QC like on the post-GSM blades?

No issues here, lots of them with new logo. The only ones I previously had issues with were the Talwar (had lock stick, but naturally broke in). Also got a Recon 1 in tanto once they came back in stock this past December and it’s perfect. My opinion is that if the QC will spiral down, it will probably not happen quite so soon.
Also to note I did have some old Talwar models with the same lock stick, all of which broke in so I imagine they use the same tool die/stamp as prior production. I never took any of them apart, just waved them open and cycled them and all are smooth as heck now.

My opinion is that if the QC will spiral down, it will probably not happen quite so soon.

I would have to agree. Being as the knives are all being made by the same manufacturers as before, any penny pinching QC measures by GSM will not show up immediately. Cold Steel under Lynn Thompson has had more QC issues since roughly 2014/2015, so I think some of the issues right now are still Cold Steel issues. However, down the road, buyers will most want pre-GSM logo blades because it is a visual mark of when the knives were still being produced under Thompson and the assumption that QC was up to a certain level. Early GSM era takeover knives (2021, etc) will also probably be better regarded. So save your receipts with your knives:)

However, the way GSM is going all out on 4034 for high end knives, anything produced with the original steel may not last long anyway. I can definitely see GSM replacing the AUS10A in all of the folders with Chinese 8cr13MOV in the near future for instance.

Last edited:
I would have to agree. Being as the knives are all being made by the same manufacturers as before, any penny pinching QC measures by GSM will not show up immediately. Cold Steel under Lynn Thompson has had more QC issues since roughly 2014/2015, so I think some of issues right now are still Cold Steel issues. However, down the road, buyers will most want pre-GSM logo blades because it is a visual mark of when the knives were still being produced under Thompson and the assumption that QC was up to a certain level. Early GSM era takeover knives (2021, etc) will also probably be better regarded. So save your receipts with your knives:)

However, the way GSM is going all out on 4034 for high end knives, so anything produced with the original steel may not last long anyway. I can definitely see GSM replacing the AUS10A in all of the folders with Chinese 8cr13MOV in the near future. , for instance.
I agree. The use of these steels are not great. The AUS10A is pretty decent, but I don't have any interest in 4034 or 8cr13mov.

If they would offer up the Trailmaster and Recon Scout with San Mai or A2 in the 150 dollar range I'd buy two of each. Even with the SecureEx sheath.

I was going to type out all the new ones I have that I can compare to the old ones, but decided to save time and just say that the quality is the same. They just don't like to include left pocket clips now. If I were a lefty, I'd probably not buy new CS folders. I wonder why they aren't including lefty clips more many models now. If it's a cost saving thing, then it might end up costing them more when left handed people stop buying. IDK.

These are the only Cold Steel products that I have bought post Lynn Thompson. They seem to be on par with older models. I like the less abrasive scales, and the steel upgrade is always a good thing.
View attachment 1725176

The Mini Recon 1 looks interesting, especially since there is no smaller Voyager anymore. I can see a knife like this having its steel changed to Chinese crap pretty quickly by GSM, so the AUS10 model might not be around long. I believe this and the Drop Forged Bowie were among Lynn and Andrew's last designs before the GSM takeover. How is it as a small EDC blade? Do you have a Voyager to compare it to?

Thanks,

CW

Interesting. I recently bought an Oyabun Limited in S35VN. Came in a Lynn Thompson-signed box with the old logo, but the knife itself (sub 1000 S/N) showed the new logo. QC on the knife is excellent: edge is sharp, action is smooth and everything lines up.

I'm relieved to hear that the QC hasn't slipped post-GSM.

I just received my Ti-Lite IV in the mail today, and based on my first impressions, it's pretty darn close to the quality of my pre-GSM Ti-Lite VI. The only difference in quality is that the scales aren't perfectly aligned/flush with the steel liner/frame on the new Ti-Lite IV, but that's not a huge deal.

I would post pics, but alas, it was already dark by the time that I got the mail today, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. I'll probably post a separate thread for it, so stay tuned.

Back