So how is the post-GSM Quality Control on Cold Steel blades?

The only knife I know that I have that came after the GSM sale is my plain-jane G10-AUS10A Espada XL. The "Taiwan" is distinctly bigger than the one on the S35VN fancy Espada. It seems A-OK, fit and finish is great, it's sharp, the only thing is the action is not as 100% smooth as the fancy Espada, but I am sure this can be remedied with a little oil, and it is honestly not even a problem, just something I noticed.
The other ones I have, I am not sure exactly when they were made - can anyone give me tips on how to tell? I have a fancy Espada XL, a GRIK, and a Voyager XL. Also a Black Fly.

I want one of those Code 4 hunter clip point folders... and maybe a Tuff-Lite. Those seem like stout little knives. But my GRIK, that thing is ugly, perfectly ugly. It's something I am not afraid to beat up. I see myself using that a lot in the future.

The only knife I know that I have that came after the GSM sale is my plain-jane G10-AUS10A Espada XL. The "Taiwan" is distinctly bigger than the one on the S35VN fancy Espada. It seems A-OK, fit and finish is great, it's sharp, the only thing is the action is not as 100% smooth as the fancy Espada, but I am sure this can be remedied with a little oil, and it is honestly not even a problem, just something I noticed.
The other ones I have, I am not sure exactly when they were made - can anyone give me tips on how to tell? I have a fancy Espada XL, a GRIK, and a Voyager XL. Also a Black Fly.

I want one of those Code 4 hunter clip point folders... and maybe a Tuff-Lite. Those seem like stout little knives. But my GRIK, that thing is ugly, perfectly ugly. It's something I am not afraid to beat up. I see myself using that a lot in the future.
Carried a Grik for quite a while, as I spent a lot of time in RI and they have a 3" limit. Great little knife...non-threatening looking, and like how the wide clip actually forms part of the handle, but did break one. Luckily it was a couple years ago and the old CS mod here sent me a new one, after I posted about filling out the online parts request form and not getting anywhere. Then months later another one showed up.

Carried a Grik for quite a while, as I spent a lot of time in RI and they have a 3" limit. Great little knife...non-threatening looking, and like how the wide clip actually forms part of the handle, but did break one. Luckily it was a couple years ago and the old CS mod here sent me a new one, after I posted about filling out the online parts request form and not getting anywhere. Then months later another one showed up.
That is really cool of them! Unfortunately, I was just reading about some dude who couldn't even get a pocket clip, what with the change. I hope they see which way is the right way...
Wow, it must have been tough with the 3" limit. Cannot even carry a PM2 legally.

Just received a new XL Talwar and everything looks great, but the action is a little stiff and the G-10 on it could be cut to be a little rougher. But other than that, its solid and I'm sure the action will loosen up over time and use. Hopefully they roughen up the texture on the G-10 just a tad though. I like it, :thumbsup:

That is really cool of them! Unfortunately, I was just reading about some dude who couldn't even get a pocket clip, what with the change. I hope they see which way is the right way...
Wow, it must have been tough with the 3" limit. Cannot even carry a PM2 legally.
Wasn't bad for me. Think I actually prefer 3", but now that I don't go to RI as much, I have expanded and have a few that are 3 1/2". Don't carry the Grik anymore, but still have 3" covered with one of the new Mini Recons (didn't get one before due to the black blade), and a Delica that another member gifted to me. So when I do head to RI these days, I grab the Mini Recon.

Last edited:
For now, swap out the engraver and etch in an updated logo and don't upset the apple cart. I would expect to see this to be more of a 2023 issue. GSM seems to be in the carrot dangling phase. Get the old boss on video talking about the old product and how deadly/awesome it is, load up the website with lots of pictures of out of stock items, keep cranking what sells best (my guess, the triad folder lines with MSRP of sub $150). Keep the cash flowing until they can figure out what the best way it is to make the most money.

I would like to think status quo, but I rarely see a business purchased and things kept even remotely the same.
I’d actually like to see more sterile blades. Or maybe just put the logo and nothing else. They’d save maybe a couple of cents by skipping the printing. I don’t need the letters “Recon Tanto” on a already large blade lol.

I’d actually like to see more sterile blades. Or maybe just put the logo and nothing else. They’d save maybe a couple of cents by skipping the printing. I don’t need the letters “Recon Tanto” on a already large blade lol.
But then the Bernard Levine ID thread would get flooded!😁

Thanks to everyone for your observations.

I got a new box / blade marking Recon Tanto that wasn't as sharp out of the box as my older one.

I've been wanting to get an XL Voyager (tanto) but was a little hesitant; I guess I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.

Thanks to everyone for your observations.

I got a new box / blade marking Recon Tanto that wasn't as sharp out of the box as my older one.

I've been wanting to get an XL Voyager (tanto) but was a little hesitant; I guess I'll go ahead and pull the trigger.
The XL Voyager is about the biggest thing that is "set it in your pocket and forget about it".

I cannot speak to the quality of the new knives, but the level of customer service just plain sucks imo. I filled out the parts request form (twice) seeking a new handle for an old Carbon V Master Hunter (and offering to pay for it) and got no reply until 2 months later - finally informing me that they have no parts.

In the interim I had called and found myself routed thru cyber phone hell ( & kept on hold multiple times) until I finally reached a very polite but totally clueless young lady who told me the same thing - they have no replacement parts and if the handle was worn out, they would give me a new knife as a "warranty replacement". I informed her that the Carbon V knives were no longer made post Camillus and her reply was crickets - she had no understanding of what I was saying.

By contrast, the only time that I called them pre-takeover, one five minute phone call resulted in a package of all the parts I needed being promptly sent to me at no charge. There's really no comparison between then and now.

I cannot speak to the quality of the new knives, but the level of customer service just plain sucks imo. I filled out the parts request form (twice) seeking a new handle for an old Carbon V Master Hunter (and offering to pay for it) and got no reply until 2 months later - finally informing me that they have no parts.

In the interim I had called and found myself routed thru cyber phone hell ( & kept on hold multiple times) until I finally reached a very polite but totally clueless young lady who told me the same thing - they have no replacement parts and if the handle was worn out, they would give me a new knife as a "warranty replacement". I informed her that the Carbon V knives were no longer made post Camillus and her reply was crickets - she had no understanding of what I was saying.

By contrast, the only time that I called them pre-takeover, one five minute phone call resulted in a package of all the parts I needed being promptly sent to me at no charge. There's really no comparison between then and now.
I was under the impression that Cold Steel since inception never sent out replacement kraton handles as a "part". If a kraton handle failed the knife would be sent back to Cold Steel for repair or replacement. I could be wrong since I've never had a handle fail or need replacement.

Last edited:
They sent me four of them about two years ago......
Wow...thanks for the info. First I've heard this and I've had Cold Steels since the 1980s.
Can I assume you just removed the old handle in whatever way possible, and fitted the replacement onto
the tang? Did you need to epoxy it? Replace the lanyard hole ring?

Wow...thanks for the info. First I've heard this and I've had Cold Steels since the 1980s.
Can I assume you just removed the old handle in whatever way possible, and fitted the replacement onto
the tang? Did you need to epoxy it? Replace the lanyard hole ring?

Several of them were fitted onto modified Fallkniven Blades - that took a ton of grinding & fitting. I also set the tangs in epoxy - not so much as a bonding agent, but to fill gaps. I then slipped the brass tube thru the butt end of the handle (the holes line up on the tang of an S1 blade - I had to drill the tang on the Taiga Forrester) & flared them on both sides. Done.

I am about to rehandle an old Master Hunter with my last handle. That's a much simpler job - drill out the brass tube, punch it out and slide the old handle off. Then reverse the process & you're done - CS did not glue the tangs on the knives I've worked on. I will, however, put a thin layer of epoxy on the tang as a rust preventative since it is Carbon V.

Wasn't bad for me. Think I actually prefer 3", but now that I don't go to RI as much, I have expanded and have a few that are 3 1/2". Don't carry the Grik anymore, but still have 3" covered with one of the new Mini Recons (didn't get one before due to the black blade), and a Delica that another member gifted to me. So when I do head to RI these days, I grab the Mini Recon.

Look at the 3 inch Hold Out. An amazingly useful knife in a small package. The only 3 inch work knife I ve ever used. I now carry the HO 3 with a bigger knife and find myself using the Hold Out more.

Back