So where the bloody he** are You!!

Sorry guys & gals the thread title was not meant to offend. I stole it from a tourism Australia ad.

Not uncommon to get asked this question from long lost pals down under.

Although I've been guilty of not posting here in the subforum enough due to an extremely busy phase of my life and other factors, I noticed that a lot of the veteran sharks and Fiddleback afficiandos don't post as much.

Drop in a line here to say hello and let us know you're doing well.

Your ol mate from down under misses ya :D

Always lurking, but as you've stated just not posting as much lately. Work and a much needed vacation has kept me busy. Hopefully things will settle down soon.
Good to see you hanging out here again more and more, Abe!

I've noticed this as well. I think some of it had to do with the change in software dropping compatability with tapatalk. Others are probably just busy! I've been pretty busy myself, but still dropping by every day to see what's going on.

I'm poking around NC national forests a bit. Still here making trouble.

SWxZ7Ou.jpg

Completely agree - the boards have been slow lately! I'm always lurking...but with the kids on summer break, it feels like we are constantly on the move.

Agree with all above. I think this mainly started after the forum upgrade. A lot of people were put off by not having Tapatalk & the like button is a culprit as well ( me included ).

It's still great to hear from all above and look forwards to hear from others as well :thumbsup:

PS - Jarrett that's an amazing pic :thumbsup:

Hey guys! Just lurking more thanks to busy work schedule. I planned on doing some more posts but yeah, just hard to prioritize when I have to get up super early for these long summers days. Hope everyone is having a good week!

I don't consider myself a veteran here, but for a time I was posting almost daily. I admit the format upgrade threw me a bit, and it was timed perfectly with my new home purchase - meaning I devoted the next month to moving and getting my previous home ready for sale. Left me with no discretionary spending money, and very little time to check the threads.

I'm still here checking in almost daily. Just a bit quieter.

Nice grinder Swo. Those wheels need to be replaced though. Looks like KMG wheels will fit.

Nice grinder Swo. Those wheels need to be replaced though. Looks like KMG wheels will fit.

We'll see. Got them from OregonBladeworks or OregonBladeMaker on ebay and he says that they last long time -- 125 bucks with the CNC D plate for the tool arm seemed fair. They are Fiber reinforced plastic, like the idler wheel of your car, so they may hold up. I finally got to use the radius platen from Nathan Carothers that I bought years ago... May even try the cooler backer plate, but first I have to pretty it up.

Still around - I haven't been as focused on knives (of any size, shape, or form) lately but that doesn't mean I don't check all the killer stuff Fiddleback Forge is still churning out! Summertime is when I try to jam as much fishing in as possible before hunting season starts. Plus, this summer I have been exceptionally busy with work.

I am still looking for that perfect Lil' Lady for this hunting season though. The one in last weeks sale looked just about right but I was fishing a small creek in Colorado when the sale went live!

I'm still around, mostly lurking. My budget has shifted (mainly medical bills, but also towards updating some of our camping and backpacking gear like tents, backpacks, sleeping bags, pads, etc) and my knife budget has gone away. Hence my participation has been down as I have nothing new to really share.

Ok, this warrants some sit down and decent reply time so I'm going to ignore responsibilities for a bit dammit ..

Howdy Friends!!

Summer means motorcycle classes get busier and more frequent. TX is rolling out a new curriculum this year and a lot of the coaches are failing the new certification so we're down from 3 to 2 at my main location and down from 4 to 2 at another location. Fewer coaches, same/bigger work load and you end up teaching more often.

Kids are out of school so whenever possible I try to give the wife a break or help since she's got them full time during the day and also weekends when I'm working (sometimes away/out of town). And we're doing more family / summer / kids activities too.

The wife and I kind of had a rekindling of interest in fishing which gives us a great past time to do together - when we can squeeze it in. The older girls (6 and 7 yrs old) just got their own fishing poles and are giving us a run for our money in casting distance and accuracy. Its too damned hot during the day though so the wife and I will have Grandma sleep at our house while we go do pier fishing from about 8pm to 5am usually. Later in the year it will be cool enough to get the girls out to do some decent daytime fishing. We have a couple friends with boats who we can go out with but we really want to get a boat of our own. We've considered kayaks but should just go big (vs go home) and get something where we can include the kiddos and double it up for fishing and tubing. This waterfalls into the next topic.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a boat and its a goal but for my wife, its a mission. That means its my mission :p And that has rekindled the Dave Ramsey FPU for us which means that you don't create new debt so you either save or do what you have to including a rice & beans diet and/or "selling everything but the kids". I know Tony Luca917 Luca917 has considered selling some of his offspring a time or two. Sooooo my pool cues and table and Tuesday night league are 1st on the chopping block. 1 or 2 firearms that I never use and lost interest will be going up. I've finally (holy hell finally) convinced the wife to agree with selling my house (aka my office / man cave) and then setting up a work office at her grandma's house which is currently unoccupied. The topic of knives has not come up yet and spending will be under close wife-scrutiny so I'm going to be selling a pile of Spyderco knives to keep the Fiddlebacks safe .. and to buy a keeper here or there going forward. This contradicts the Dave Ramsey deal but I'm going to get a HUGE tax refund next year because I'm claiming the Fiddlebacks as children. lol

Lack of time / New forum software:
I am on the forums daily and still have my thumb on the pulse. There are many times that I'd love to reply or give a decent / meaningful / well thought out response but time is just lacking and many times I don't want it to feel half arsed. There is just NO time nearly to what I used to have for pictures but need to make time for some collection updates. I do dislike :thumbsdown: the Like feature and will use it once in a while to give a bit of a shout out. It does seem like the Like feature has cut down on actual text feedback. Tapatalk isn't a deal breaker for me but it definitely cut some folks out. The main character it affected that comes to mind for me is @Heespharm and I really miss him, his sheaths and knife mods and humor that followed.

Interestingly .. My time has been cut down so much that I don't have the daily 30-45 minutes to pull out the knife rolls and try to change out to a different blade (errr man version of a purse or shoes ;)). So I've kind of done a version of Odaon Odaon Orion's 3 1/2" EDC challenge and have found that the model that does everything I need & is fine socially is drum roll ... the Lil Lady in 3/32". (Picture Kermit the Frog triumphantly flailing his arms here!) And the Lil Lady is closely followed by the select few who live in my backpack vs knife rolls so I end up cycling among: 1/8" TT Handyman, 1/8" Lonestar, 3/32" TT CPM154 Warthog. All 4 of these give each other a good run for money to be the top contender for me. The Handyman is great but the 1/8" part loses out when the wife wants to borrow it to cut food and then grumbles as it gets it stuck between the fork tines. Vs the Lil Lady that seems to stay in my wife's hands a lot longer and I begin to wonder if I'll get it back - and it seems like she just looks for other stuff to cut up. The Lonestar might be my favorite aesthetically and functionally for the handy versatile pointed tip but the same feature drops it down because I feel I've gotten sideways glances in public, maybe being perceived as menacing looking. The Warthog probably comes in 2nd to the Lil Lady but it has a tiny bit of guard so you can't use the full blade. The Lonestar has a guard also but enough belly where it doesn't seem to matter.
Disclaimers: These stats just might change when one or both of these occur ..
1) Chris @Osprey Knife & Tool gets his shop in order and cranks out my 3/32" TT Warthog K request. It would definitely rise to the top if he pulled it off in 1/16" (no pressure there Chris :D).
2) Annnnd I've hounded Phillip VANCE VANCE to resurrect the old style Bushnub, was finally successful and now I'm just waiting for the right 3/32" Bushnub to come along.
Awww heck, I just might need to permanently carry 1 on the belt and 5 in the backpack.

Anyway, those are some things consuming my attention and it primarily revolves around family so that can't be a bad thing. I do miss the level of discussion we had from about a year ago but I am also glad to see new names and faces too!

Ok, this warrants some sit down and decent reply time so I'm going to ignore responsibilities for a bit dammit ..

Howdy Friends!!

Summer means motorcycle classes get busier and more frequent. TX is rolling out a new curriculum this year and a lot of the coaches are failing the new certification so we're down from 3 to 2 at my main location and down from 4 to 2 at another location. Fewer coaches, same/bigger work load and you end up teaching more often.

Kids are out of school so whenever possible I try to give the wife a break or help since she's got them full time during the day and also weekends when I'm working (sometimes away/out of town). And we're doing more family / summer / kids activities too.

The wife and I kind of had a rekindling of interest in fishing which gives us a great past time to do together - when we can squeeze it in. The older girls (6 and 7 yrs old) just got their own fishing poles and are giving us a run for our money in casting distance and accuracy. Its too damned hot during the day though so the wife and I will have Grandma sleep at our house while we go do pier fishing from about 8pm to 5am usually. Later in the year it will be cool enough to get the girls out to do some decent daytime fishing. We have a couple friends with boats who we can go out with but we really want to get a boat of our own. We've considered kayaks but should just go big (vs go home) and get something where we can include the kiddos and double it up for fishing and tubing. This waterfalls into the next topic.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a boat and its a goal but for my wife, its a mission. That means its my mission :p And that has rekindled the Dave Ramsey FPU for us which means that you don't create new debt so you either save or do what you have to including a rice & beans diet and/or "selling everything but the kids". I know Tony Luca917 Luca917 has considered selling some of his offspring a time or two. Sooooo my pool cues and table and Tuesday night league are 1st on the chopping block. 1 or 2 firearms that I never use and lost interest will be going up. I've finally (holy hell finally) convinced the wife to agree with selling my house (aka my office / man cave) and then setting up a work office at her grandma's house which is currently unoccupied. The topic of knives has not come up yet and spending will be under close wife-scrutiny so I'm going to be selling a pile of Spyderco knives to keep the Fiddlebacks safe .. and to buy a keeper here or there going forward. This contradicts the Dave Ramsey deal but I'm going to get a HUGE tax refund next year because I'm claiming the Fiddlebacks as children. lol

Lack of time / New forum software:
I am on the forums daily and still have my thumb on the pulse. There are many times that I'd love to reply or give a decent / meaningful / well thought out response but time is just lacking and many times I don't want it to feel half arsed. There is just NO time nearly to what I used to have for pictures but need to make time for some collection updates. I do dislike :thumbsdown: the Like feature and will use it once in a while to give a bit of a shout out. It does seem like the Like feature has cut down on actual text feedback. Tapatalk isn't a deal breaker for me but it definitely cut some folks out. The main character it affected that comes to mind for me is @Heespharm and I really miss him, his sheaths and knife mods and humor that followed.

Interestingly .. My time has been cut down so much that I don't have the daily 30-45 minutes to pull out the knife rolls and try to change out to a different blade (errr man version of a purse or shoes ;)). So I've kind of done a version of Odaon Odaon Orion's 3 1/2" EDC challenge and have found that the model that does everything I need & is fine socially is drum roll ... the Lil Lady in 3/32". (Picture Kermit the Frog triumphantly flailing his arms here!) And the Lil Lady is closely followed by the select few who live in my backpack vs knife rolls so I end up cycling among: 1/8" TT Handyman, 1/8" Lonestar, 3/32" TT CPM154 Warthog. All 4 of these give each other a good run for money to be the top contender for me. The Handyman is great but the 1/8" part loses out when the wife wants to borrow it to cut food and then grumbles as it gets it stuck between the fork tines. Vs the Lil Lady that seems to stay in my wife's hands a lot longer and I begin to wonder if I'll get it back - and it seems like she just looks for other stuff to cut up. The Lonestar might be my favorite aesthetically and functionally for the handy versatile pointed tip but the same feature drops it down because I feel I've gotten sideways glances in public, maybe being perceived as menacing looking. The Warthog probably comes in 2nd to the Lil Lady but it has a tiny bit of guard so you can't use the full blade. The Lonestar has a guard also but enough belly where it doesn't seem to matter.
Disclaimers: These stats just might change when one or both of these occur ..
1) Chris @Osprey Knife & Tool gets his shop in order and cranks out my 3/32" TT Warthog K request. It would definitely rise to the top if he pulled it off in 1/16" (no pressure there Chris :D).
2) Annnnd I've hounded Phillip VANCE VANCE to resurrect the old style Bushnub, was finally successful and now I'm just waiting for the right 3/32" Bushnub to come along.
Awww heck, I just might need to permanently carry 1 on the belt and 5 in the backpack.

Anyway, those are some things consuming my attention and it primarily revolves around family so that can't be a bad thing. I do miss the level of discussion we had from about a year ago but I am also glad to see new names and faces too!

Jerry, what can I say? I will simply :thumbsup: Like this post :rolleyes:

Just kidding of course. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to keep us in tune with what is going on in your life. Sounds like a plate full. Good luck juggling all of that. What kind of boat are you looking for? I never use mine and may just list it up here on the Flea Market soon :D

Still around - I haven't been as focused on knives (of any size, shape, or form) lately but that doesn't mean I don't check all the killer stuff Fiddleback Forge is still churning out! Summertime is when I try to jam as much fishing in as possible before hunting season starts. Plus, this summer I have been exceptionally busy with work.

I am still looking for that perfect Lil' Lady for this hunting season though. The one in last weeks sale looked just about right but I was fishing a small creek in Colorado when the sale went live!

I too am waiting for the right Lil Lady. Either a matching Osage one or one in OD canvas.

Hope you did well fishing over here! I've been slacking on the fishing lately, though I'm headed up to a high lake this weekend. :thumbsup:

Jerry, glad to hear about all the fun! I tried to add your quote here, but it didn't work for the edit and I'm too lazy to do it manually right now. Hah! I'm happy to see that the Lil Lady has risen to the top for you, I really want to get one, just waiting for the right time and handle. Plus I've been putting money towards some other stuff lately. I did get my WA Surls Patch done up by Allen, just waiting for it to finish getting a sheath made before I get to stick it in my pocket.

Last edited:
Jerry, what can I say? I will simply :thumbsup: Like this post :rolleyes:

Just kidding of course. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to keep us in tune with what is going on in your life. Sounds like a plate full. Good luck juggling all of that. What kind of boat are you looking for? I never use mine and may just list it up here on the Flea Market soon :D

Thanks! We've been out recently on 2 different boats, both 20'ers. Given our area, we'd put in on a river that swaps between fresh & salt water and would head down to a bay that has potential for 3' - 4' waves.

Jerry, glad to hear about all the fun! I tried to add your quote here, but it didn't work for the edit and I'm too lazy to do it manually right now. Hah! I'm happy to see that the Lil Lady has risen to the top for you, I really want to get one, just waiting for the right time and handle. Plus I've been putting money towards some other stuff lately. I did get my WA Surls Patch done up by Allen, just waiting for it to finish getting a sheath made before I get to stick it in my pocket.

Congrats on the Patch! What are the details and specs? Have we seen pics??

Jerry, I liked your post :D

:D Yep, if you look up above a few of us were wisearses and simply did a like to Phillip's post up above. But there is no "thanks for the like" or "I like your like" button.

Back